Why are people in Indianapolis going postal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #151  
I generally don't post stats to "prove a point" because I think I have a basic concept on the interpretation of statistics to know how skewed they can be until you dig deeper than what you find on the internet.
First day of Statistics 101 the professor drilled into us that "the first question with statistics is what do you want the answer to be?"

Aaron Z

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #152  
This is such a ugly subject. I try to avoid it all but just can't. I'm getting scared to go out! That's the truth.

Regarding the idea of the shooter becoming infamous. I can't remember 1 of the shooters.

Like John Lennon, I don't even remember that guys name!

You talk about the horse already outta the barn.

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #153  
First day of Statistics 101 the professor drilled into us that "the first question with statistics is what do you want the answer to be?"

Aaron Z
We must of had the same professor in the same class :ROFLMAO: He wasn't Egyptian by chance?

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #154  
This is such a ugly subject. I try to avoid it all but just can't. I'm getting scared to go out! That's the truth.

Regarding the idea of the shooter becoming infamous. I can't remember 1 of the shooters.

Like John Lennon, I don't even remember that guys name!

You talk about the horse already outta the barn.
The media is finally getting a clue about that, not splattering the killer's name all over the news every 15 minutes. I wish they would start issuing generic names for them; "Loser", "Weenie", and a few other things which I can't post here.

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #156  
Probably for the same reason that because I'm white and own a AR-15, a lot of people think I'm a nut case.
You can only control what you think. If you can't persuade others maybe your argument isn't strong enough or you're not presenting it correctly.

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #157  
Ill go with the nut case theory...
You can only control what you think. If you can't persuade others maybe your argument isn't strong enough or you're not presenting it correctly.

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #158  
Probably for the same reason that because I'm white and own a AR-15, a lot of people think I'm a nut case.
LOL, I am more in the camp that it’s because the mainstream FEAR media keeps pushing racial division in our country because it keeps people glued to their shows.
The more outrageous the racial division tactics are deployed (Joy Reed, Don Lemon, et al), the more people needlessly FEAR each other and the more what little remaining racial harmony we had gets turned to racial hatred.
That results in white cops needlessly fearing non-whites and much of the general public as well.

Sigarms, speaking of nut cases, you may get a kick out of this: when I was much younger I worked at a chain of bars owned by a sleazeball. I worked at the door collecting money, checking IDs and throwing out drunken fools sometimes bigger than me. I had guts because I grew up having to scrap my way onto football teams and boxing rings. My nickname was ”whacko” because I took crap from nobody. One night I tossed a guy and he came back with a gun. I walked up to the guy and put my chest right into the muzzle and called him a “p“ word. That’s how I got the nick name. Lol
I am much older and never would think of fighting anyone. I have early onset CTE from the multiple concussions I received being a young knucklehead

Last edited:
   / Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #160  
This is an exceptional post:
One more murder/suicide. It's the height of self-destructive rage.

Several of my Facebook friends have been posting uplifting memes as a way of digging themselves out of depression and dark mental places. It's a small sample, but I think a lot of people are having a tough time maintaining their emotional balance. It puts me in mind of Thoreau's famous quote, "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation."

I found my version of Waldon Pond years ago, but still remember the early '80s, when I was in my 30s and everything in my life was going wrong. It seemed nothing I did helped, and I was angry all the time. That level of frustration consumes you.

I think modern American life is not good for people. There is too much noise, too much congestion, too many rules, and a constant drum beat of fear and anger. It is not good for people to live in fear.

I like TBN because rural living dials down the anger. We can justifiably be angry at that gopher in the garden, and make serious plans to kill that sucker, without inflicting violence on people. We don't keep guns for self defense, we keep guns because we might need to shoot something. People in cities think guns are for shooting people. I can't imagine that. I have to work myself up for two weeks just to butcher a cow. I think if more people had been up to their elbows in a warm gut pile, they would be less casual about killing.
I would like to discuss the portion I highlighted, and this:
I do find the radio on my short commute gives me most of the news and TV is less and less...

Still read paper when time permits but it keeps shrinking in size.

Some of the happiest people I know are the least connected or plugged in...

Typically involved with their church, grandkids and gardening...

The opposite I've found true with the big screen and 24 hour cable news being wound up a lot of the time to the point of hair trigger on both sides...

I believe the ailment America and most of the west suffers from is multifaceted but the main component is media, with a large sub-component being social media. For the older population probably the "news" is the biggest factor and for the younger population probably social media is the bigger factor. Those in the middle suffer a double whammy.

I quit following "the news" a few years and my mental health improved significantly. But I still had a fly in my ointment. It got worse over time. After covid hit, it was downward spiral. I couldn't believe half the population is so stupid because they believe "this" and the other half is so stupid because they believe "that." And I couldn't believe how hateful they all were in throwing their ideologies at each other. The world seemed like not such a great place.

So before getting to the mental state where I was ready to quit the world, I quit the thing that was influencing me to think how bad it is*. Since then, my only "social media" experience is forums like this, and I mostly stick to the technical threads and leave threads like this unread. The only reason I skimmed this is one to see if anyone brought up the reason why "going postal" is a term.

Since then, I have been a much happier person. Since then I have more time for things that matter. Since then I experience the world as it is, not as how Facebook wants me to think it is. Which brings me to:

* In case you didn't know, Facebook AI curates your feed to show things that it knows will get you fired up. They've figured out that things which make your blood boil, generate more engagement (more ads seen, more money made) than pictures of cute kittens. They give you just enough cute kittens to keep you from feeling like it's an absolute cesspool of rank butthurt, but in fact, it's an absolute cesspool of rank butthurt. ON PURPOSE. Facebook is a cancer of society and I think it and every other social media platform plays an appreciable yet unfortunately unquantifiable role in nearly every major tragedy like this one.

Please, quit social medial. You will be glad you did. It matters not how many uplifting memes you read, share, or re-share. You're playing a game that is rigged against you and they wellbeing of society, and you're just a pawn.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.