Why bombs are armed on the flight line

/ Why bombs are armed on the flight line #1  

Rara Avis

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere
just make sure your job description includes hazard pay...;)

Attachments

• bomb transportation.jpg
    bomb transportation.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 889
   / Why bombs are armed on the flight line #2  
Looks like there is no damage, other than the stain on the seat.

/ Why bombs are armed on the flight line #3  
Forklift operator : Where the heck did that trailer go????? :eek:

/ Why bombs are armed on the flight line #4  
:D "just make sure your job description includes hazard pay...":D

It did when I work in R&D on weapons systems for the Navy. Contrary to popular belief, most bombs don't arm themselfs until a series of specific envoirmental conditions are satified. The final detonation train is completed at the very last seconds before the target is reached. :eek:

This keeps the good guys safe!

If you have a problem on a ship, there is nowhere to run to when out in the ocean, hence the huge effort to keep safety first.

If you have ever seen the safety film about the USS Forrestal, you'll know what I am talking about.

This fork lift picture has been around a long time, maybe over 10 years. Always good for a good laugh!;)

/ Why bombs are armed on the flight line #5  
The USS Forestfire film has also been around a while, and has probably been seen by more sailors than any other film, except deepthroat.
David from jax

/ Why bombs are armed on the flight line #6  
ya know about 10 years ago, I was in the Marines and I seem to remember a incident similiar to this...
and although that warehouse looks like any other, it sure has a familiar look to it...

as for the how..
In the incident I remember, the brakes on the forklift worked, but then worked less.

anyway, we had a safety stand down for a few days while all the forklifts got a good once over..

ahh-- the good ole days, how you miss them, how you are glad you are missing them and how you wish you could relive some of them.....

Later,
J

/ Why bombs are armed on the flight line #7  
I've seen that picture around before and I LOVE IT!

Can't you just imagine the supervisor's last words to the new forklift driver before turning him loose ala......."for God's sake, whatever you do be careful and watch the end of that loading dock" or "the brake is on the left and accelerator is on the right, don't screw that up" or "for Cripes sakes we're handling bombs here so don't do anything stupid, okay".....

and then the new guy goes and does that.

/ Why bombs are armed on the flight line #9  
I wonder what kind of weapon that is....?

/ Why bombs are armed on the flight line #10  
I wonder what kind of weapon that is....?

I wondered the same thing. It doesn't look like a conventional bomb at all. Perhaps it's an external fuel tank or other pylon mounted device, instead of a weapon.