Why I quit hating soccer.....besides the soccer moms!

Streetcar

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 870
Offside is reward for playing bad defense. As Steppenwolf said except not offside if the player does not participate or assist offense

MossRoad

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
So there's two different explanations for the same rule right there. Thanks fellas. Which one is correct? :unsure:

Steppenwolfe

Tractor
Kubota MX5400, ZD 331, L3301, 1140 RTV, KX 71
The player the ball is played to can't be past the defenders "at the time the ball is put into motion" . Watch a few European games, it becomes quite evident.

Streetcar

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 870
They are in offside position, but no penalty if they do affect the defense .
The player the ball is played to can't be past the defenders "at the time the ball is put into motion" . Watch a few European games, it becomes quite evident.

MossRoad

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

As a former hockey player, I just applied hockey rules in my mind when my son played soccer!

I understand the hockey offside rule. The puck has to cross the blue line before anyone on the offensive team. That's a huge zone, and, you don't have to pay attention to any of the defending players' positions on the ice. It's nothing like the soccer offside rule.

MoKelly

Top Poster Of Month
Jefferson County, Mo, ... about 35 miles out of St
Tractor
Bobcat CT235, Bad Boy z-turn, Suzuki Vinson 500 and F-150
Offside is reward for playing bad defense. As Steppenwolf said except not offside if the player does not participate or assist offense

Basketball is pretty much the same.

One player can stay under his basket and if the other 4 prevent a basket, they get an easy layup.

But basketball has never had an offside rule.

MoKelly

airbiscuit

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland T2310, Kubota L3010 GST, New Holland TC21DA, Farmall H *** Previously - 1941 John Deere B, Shibaura SD1500, John Deere 850, Bobcat 642, New Holland 1925
So, I keep trying to wrap my head around the logic of the offside rule. You would think an aggressive offense would want to out hustle the defense and get ahead of them.

If the same rule applied to basketball, you would not have a fast break, you'd have a half-fast break :)