Why isn't anyone talking about the Deutz Fahr 5080d?

/ Why isn't anyone talking about the Deutz Fahr 5080d? #31  
Just buy tractor & loader from dealer. The loader seems very low priced. Forks seem fairly priced. Blade & grapple look overpriced, even with the $2000 discount

That's my take on it too. I'd go there looking with a "show me" attitiude. The implements would have to be top of the line to justify the high prices. And maybe they are.

Not that I know anything about that particular brand of tractor. It looks nice, but I don't even know where it is built. Do you? Make sure it is not a "made in China" version...
About all I know is at one time that was a proud name. Who knows today? You are taking a lot on faith, but I'd make sure at the least that it was European designed and built and that it came with ops, shop, and parts manuals in English - or include those in the purchase if you can. $100 each is typical price for those 3 manuals.

Get some spare filters and everything needed for the first service. I like to do that before 100 hrs. Then service by the book. Or see if the dealer will do that

Ask about delivery and hauling and if they have a mobile mechanic. Find out who is responsible for hauling during warranty and their loaner policy. Whatever you agree about hauling and loaners, get both those in writing right on the sales agreement.
I happen to think that it is reasonable to split the cost of initial hauling but for the dealer to pay for hauling if warranty work is needed. And a loaner provided after 30 to 45 days. That's what I hand wrote onto on my last sales agreement and both myself and dealer signed that addition.

I don't know grapples, so cannot comment other than to say make sure the SSQA works smoothly and that the tractor has the proper additional hydraulics to run the grapple. That extra front hydraulic control for the grapple is called the "third function. Yes, I like the European latching system myself, but SSQA is what you want in the USA so that you can attach rental skid steer implements.

Forks are easy to see if they are buit right. Good forks are massively heavy and obviously well built because people end up working around them. The forks themselves are solid steel & adjust for width easily...maybe even hydraulically.

Rear blades I do know about - having bought several that didn't work well until buying a Big Rhino that did & does... A good blade is worth that price and more. If you expect it to do more work than damage, then it should be 3-way adjustable for angle, tilt, and offset and maybe have a trailing wheel. I'd expect that two of the three adjustments to be hydraulic cylinder remote adjustments given the price. Certainly angle and tilt are hydraulic. Be nice if offset and trailing wheel heght is too....but not I think you are at $6000 on a quality blade. You don't use offset all that much if it is an 8 foot blade. But you do want your blade to have a pivoting offset rather than a sliding blade type.
Mine is all manual adjust....which works if you are young, but is why I wish for hydraulics...

Again, the blade for a cat I/II hitch should be obviously heavily built. A trailing wheel and end caps are nice features if it has them - if not, ask. End caps make it into a box blade on demand. Make sure the tractor has the proper quick connect hydraulic remotes to actuate the blade hydraulics whether the blade has them or not. You will appreciate hydraulics on a blade of that size. & also use the rear hydraulics for other implements. I like for a cat I/II blade to weight around 750 to 1000 lbs - maybe more.

Good Luck,
rScotty

Last edited:
   / Why isn't anyone talking about the Deutz Fahr 5080d? #32  
Stuff is so expensive anymore I can’t even believe it.
Went to Case-IH to price a simple drawbar.
Just a simple 57” x 2“ x 4” wide piece of high strength steel with some holes drilled in it.

$2,750!!!

Parts man said it was $795 2 years ago.

/ Why isn't anyone talking about the Deutz Fahr 5080d? #33  
Air cooling went away when the treehugger crowd got "noise" pollution regs into place.

Water cooled diesels are much quieter...

SR
I ran a Deutz 100hp air cooled 6 cylinder for a few summers haying. Loud was an understatement!

Edit. Deutz D 10006

Tractor Data D 10006 (link)

CT

/ Why isn't anyone talking about the Deutz Fahr 5080d? #34  
I've run them too, then they turboed the 100's and they became 130-06's...

SR

/ Why isn't anyone talking about the Deutz Fahr 5080d? #35  
   / Why isn't anyone talking about the Deutz Fahr 5080d? #36  
Stuff is so expensive anymore I can’t even believe it.
Went to Case-IH to price a simple drawbar.
Just a simple 57” x 2“ x 4” wide piece of high strength steel with some holes drilled in it.

$2,750!!!

Parts man said it was $795 2 years ago.

A part like that you can get made locally for a whole lot less money. All it takes is a steel bar and a little brake press and machining work, which is easy if you have a broken one as a template. It can take some calling around, but if it saves ~$1500 its worth my time.

/ Why isn't anyone talking about the Deutz Fahr 5080d? #37  
A part like that you can get made locally for a whole lot less money. All it takes is a steel bar and a little brake press and machining work, which is easy if you have a broken one as a template. It can take some calling around, but if it saves ~$1500 its worth my time.
Yep, thats exactly what I’m doing. (y)

/ Why isn't anyone talking about the Deutz Fahr 5080d? #38  

If I had a broken one, that would serve as a good example of how I didn't want the next one built.

rScotty

/ Why isn't anyone talking about the Deutz Fahr 5080d? #39  
I don't have a a Fendt dealer/service in my area and the $55k price point is likely below what a Fendt costs for a 75hp unit. Thanks though.

I've been doing some reading on the Fendt and finding information hard to come by. That's often the case when dealing with different technology, but it puts a big premium on having a really good local dealer. Especially on that dealer having a committed long term service department. The kind of service that Mercedes has for their mechanics - and other makes used to have - where mechanics start young, go to school often, and stay 30 years.
I believe that Germany has that type of educational system and workers. I don't know that the USA does, or ever will again. The older generation had the advantage that mechanics was simple enough for anyone to do their own work. Electronic controls and software adjustment are inexpensive alternatives that make dealer service important,

Anyway, Fendts seem very sophisticated, but I'd want a really committed dealer nearby.

rScotty

apologies with the dark color, it's how Fendt sets up their site & nothing I can figure out changes it.

Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 7.59.42 AM.png

/ Why isn't anyone talking about the Deutz Fahr 5080d? #40  
I've been doing some reading on the Fendt and finding information hard to come by. That's often the case when dealing with different technology, but it puts a big premium on having a really good local dealer. Especially on that dealer having a committed long term service department. The kind of service that Mercedes has for their mechanics - and other makes used to have - where mechanics start young, go to school often, and stay 30 years.
I believe that Germany has that type of educational system and workers. I don't know that the USA does, or ever will again. The older generation had the advantage that mechanics was simple enough for anyone to do their own work. Electronic controls and software adjustment are inexpensive alternatives that make dealer service important,

Anyway, Fendts seem very sophisticated, but I'd want a really committed dealer nearby.

rScotty

apologies with the dark color, it's how Fendt sets up their site & nothing I can figure out changes it.

View attachment 746190
I think a lot of the european tractors are like this. My new Italian tractor is joystick controlled and color coded. Little weird at first but I ended up really liking it.

PXL_20220517_183142703.jpg

PXL_20220517_183148708.jpg