Why my next tractor won't be New Holland

/ Why my next tractor won't be New Holland #1  

MiserableOldFart

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH Workmaster 40, Kubota GR2120
I have to say I am absolutely happy with my NH TC26DA tractor. It does all I ask it to do, but I have to say I am appalled by the incredible, over the top, insane prices of their parts. The little pads that are on the HST foot controls wear out rather quickly, which shouldn't be a big deal, EXCEPT that, at the place where parts are usually the least expensive online, they are $23 apiece, plus shipping. I want you to understand that this is NOT by any means unusual with their parts, they are ALL priced like they are made of gold- this is but one annoying example. Now, I'm not going to pay $46 for the third set of these I would be using in the ninth year of owning this tractor. Most likely, I'll just go to the hardware store and pick up some tape with sand on it, and stick it to the pedals. These are unnecessary parts, unless you are a fanatic about keeping the tractor "stock," but most parts are necessities, and they are outrageously expensive. It is unconscionable that a company that has a good customer who has spent, say, $20,000 or much more for a piece of equipment would treat said customer like a cash cow when it comes to parts. At $10 each, these would be overpriced, but again, it's all their parts, not just some - that are about four times what any rational human being would pay.

A company should treat a customer with a modicum of respect, and the prices that NH gets for parts are NOT my idea of respect.

And what up with this deal where none of the dealers stock the G134 or whatever that is specified for the hydro? That was ridiculously expensive when I used it last, 4 years ago, and now this summer, I couldn't get it for my 600 hour service, so had to take a chance on another brand!?!

$46 for four ounces of rubber that will wear out in a couple hundred hours, while just a very typical example, is outrageous.

Attachments

• top of hst pad.jpg
    top of hst pad.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 264
  • bottom  of hst pad.jpg
    bottom of hst pad.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 210
   / Why my next tractor won't be New Holland #2  
Might be cheaper to buy a different kind of shoe...

You realize, don't you, that our money is rapidly becoming worthless and also the Chinese guy making your pedal pushers has already ordered his second brand new Buick ???

/ Why my next tractor won't be New Holland #3  
I always shuddered when I had to buy new Holland parts for my haybine. I could always get parts but that price tag was always there. Maybe try a different dealer. Sometimes I could buy things for literally half. For example, I have a local new Holland dealer who is famous for their terrible prices on everything. I just bought some sickle blades at a much further away dealer for 1.50 a piece and I needed a few more to finish replacing all the knives. Went to the local dealer thinking they would be the same price. WRONG!! I literally went off when a box of blades was double. We are talking 40 ish dollars to over 75. The guy behind the counter said that I must have gotten them from a non new Holland dealer so I went to the truck, grabbed the box and the receipt from the other dealer from the day before and showed him that his assumption was incorrect. He said that he can't even get the knives for that price. So maybe they have different tiers for their dealers?? Either way I only used the closer dealer in an emergency. I have since sold the haybine so good riddens.

/ Why my next tractor won't be New Holland #4  
Go to the junk yard and match them up to ones off a junk car!

SR

/ Why my next tractor won't be New Holland #5  
JD parts are awful too. I was helping a friend change the center gear box shaft on a JD bush hog. His son works for a deer dealer, and got the parts for him, but retail was about $1,000. The whole bush hog in working condition was only worth about $4,000.

/ Why my next tractor won't be New Holland #6  
I have to say I am absolutely happy with my NH TC26DA tractor. It does all I ask it to do, but I have to say I am appalled by the incredible, over the top, insane prices of their parts. The little pads that are on the HST foot controls wear out rather quickly, which shouldn't be a big deal, EXCEPT that, at the place where parts are usually the least expensive online, they are $23 apiece, plus shipping. I want you to understand that this is NOT by any means unusual with their parts, they are ALL priced like they are made of gold- this is but one annoying example. Now, I'm not going to pay $46 for the third set of these I would be using in the ninth year of owning this tractor. Most likely, I'll just go to the hardware store and pick up some tape with sand on it, and stick it to the pedals. These are unnecessary parts, unless you are a fanatic about keeping the tractor "stock," but most parts are necessities, and they are outrageously expensive. It is unconscionable that a company that has a good customer who has spent, say, $20,000 or much more for a piece of equipment would treat said customer like a cash cow when it comes to parts. At $10 each, these would be overpriced, but again, it's all their parts, not just some - that are about four times what any rational human being would pay.

A company should treat a customer with a modicum of respect, and the prices that NH gets for parts are NOT my idea of respect.

And what up with this deal where none of the dealers stock the G134 or whatever that is specified for the hydro? That was ridiculously expensive when I used it last, 4 years ago, and now this summer, I couldn't get it for my 600 hour service, so had to take a chance on another brand!?!

$46 for four ounces of rubber that will wear out in a couple hundred hours, while just a very typical example, is outrageous.

Yeah- our New Holland L778 skid steer had to have the right side hydrostat replaced several years ago- ALMOST $7000. a new main hydraulic filter is like $140

/ Why my next tractor won't be New Holland #7  
JD parts are awful too. I was helping a friend change the center gear box shaft on a JD bush hog. His son works for a deer dealer, and got the parts for him, but retail was about $1,000. The whole bush hog in working condition was only worth about $4,000.

I have had pretty good luck with jd parts. I just rebuilt the one outer gear box on my Mx10 due to some negligence on my part. They run alot better when they are full of oil. Total parts cost for all new bearings and seals was under $280. The entire gearbox was over 1400 though if I wanted to just swap it. I have gotten 4020 parts easily though and that tractor is from 1970ish as well as a new cutting edge for a 450 track loader and lots of undercarriage and blade parts for a 550 jd dozer we are refurbishing. They don't give the equipment parts away but I can still get them.

/ Why my next tractor won't be New Holland #8  
I don't think it's just new holland dealers. It's a double edge sword we want dealers/manufacturers to have the parts we need and it has to be profitable for them but we hate to pay for there profit. A guy buy me has a almost new Kubota cab tractor he busted his glass cab door they want about 4000.00 Just for the new door. I think it would have been over priced at 1000.00 but it is a proprietary part with custom glass so they are the only ones that can provide the part. He is mad as hello but what is he going to do leave it broke on a like new machine?

/ Why my next tractor won't be New Holland #9  
It's all parts from all brands. And not just tractors. Go price a taillight cover for your truck sometime. Years ago models shared parts for years. Now there are umpteen times the brands and models available, and they change designs every year. To manufacture those replacement parts in small batches is expensive. To stock all those parts is impossible.
I think the price difference between dealers is sometimes due to how old their stock is and if they hold prices on stock until its sold, or if they bump retail of old stock based on their cost to replace it.
No price shocks me much anymore. I expect the worst and am occasionally pleasantly surprised when I can buy a part for a couple bucks.

/ Why my next tractor won't be New Holland #10  
I just bought JD parts for a 1991 year tractor. They were there in a couple of days, no shipping charge. Expensive, but I was happy to get them. I crumpled my steps on a hidden stump. It was the only one that was not available aftermarket! Three hundred bucks later, but I was glad I could get them at all!

Just remember all the overhead in running their business. The salaries, holiday pay, mat leave! I could go on and on and on. Plus, you are paying for ALL the parts they have, not just the ones you bought!