Why not make a fixed ROPS foldable???

/ Why not make a fixed ROPS foldable??? #1  

Henro

Tractor
Kubota B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini EX
OK, I understand the concerns about modifying a ROPS as far as safety and protection of the operator goes, if the ROPS is called upon to do its duty.

BUT...

Say one would cut his ROPS and have a certified welder duplicate what the OEM does when it makes a ROPS foldable, eg, make the hinge assembly identical, then what's the fuss all about?

What triggered this post is a recent comment by RonX (my X, I forget what the letter should be)(maybe even RonXX). Why fear modifying a ROPS in a way that duplicates what the OEM does anyway?

I would do it. No doubt in my mind. Welding is not rocket science if the welder is capable. Certification = capable, for the most part.

Am I in the minority here? I know about the ROPS police and all that...but...really...

Common sense tells me that exact duplication of what the factory does should not be an issue...

Am I alone here?

/ Why not make a fixed ROPS foldable??? #2  
I'm witcha, I've welded on mine. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Why not make a fixed ROPS foldable??? #3  
Hi Henro,
Good post and idea! When I bought my Massey about 2 1/2 yrs ago, the original owner had removed the ROPS and i was using a tractor without one. I have some older tractors without them so was not new to tractor operation to begin with. Since I use the Massey for most of my mowing needs, a ROPS would make sense.

My thought would be to cut a single pc ROPS at the same spot on both sides, and fit a piece of square stock inside the lower half of the ROPS and weld in place. To use the top half of the ROPS, simply slide the top half over the square bar stock and use snap pins to hold it in position. This would be stronger than a hinged assembly. If you were out in the field and wanted to operate the tractor with just the lower half, slide the top half off and use the snap pins to attach it to the lower half. I think it would be quite doable.

scotty

/ Why not make a fixed ROPS foldable??? #4  
I think liability is the big issue. For 1.. You may be hard pressed to find a certified welder willing to 'sign his name' to a rops modification.. namely for liability reasons.

Say you modify that rops, and it fails, and injurs/kills you or someone else. then.. that gives law enforcement, and insurance companies ( and defense attorneys ) a great hand hold to do things.. like.. prevent life insurance policies from paying.. ... they may claim you created a dangerous situation doing the modification.

For certain, it will void the original manufacturers certification.. and unles you are going to go thru the expense and testing for recertification.. I don't see how you can get out of the liability issues.

Soundguy

/ Why not make a fixed ROPS foldable??? #5  
Henro, whereyabeen?

And first post back you suggest blashphemy! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It's "R", like RonR, and yes, I'd like to have a foldable rops on my 2200, but I won't mod my original one. Or if I do, I'll leave instructions in my will to order a new one to install prior to selling the Bota! I feel that strongly about it.

Liability is a strange duck. For example, our rec center has 3 racquetball courts with the glass rear wall. Each panel is maybe 4 ft wide. Somehow, someone hit one of those panels with a sharp object, and it shattered! Now I've bashed into those at full speed and they held. Somehow, the sharp object caused them to fail.

Anyway, the outfit that builds the glass is half a continent away. They will make the glass, no problem. Finding someone to install it is a BIG PROBLEM. The rec center didn't want to pay these guys tons of $$$ to travel here and install it, but no local guys would touch it due to liability! Not sure who installed it, but it is finally replaced.

Most likely, you could cut/modify/weld on/drill holes all over your ROPS and nothing catastrophic will happen ever. I like to choose my risks, and modding a safety feature is not one I would take lightly.

My two cents--and welcome back Henro.

Ron

/ Why not make a fixed ROPS foldable??? #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I think liability is the big issue. For 1.. You may be hard pressed to find a certified welder willing to 'sign his name' to a rops modification.. namely for liability reasons.

Say you modify that rops, and it fails, and injurs/kills you or someone else. then.. that gives law enforcement, and insurance companies ( and defense attorneys ) a great hand hold to do things.. like.. prevent life insurance policies from paying.. ... they may claim you created a dangerous situation doing the modification.

For certain, it will void the original manufacturers certification.. and unles you are going to go thru the expense and testing for recertification.. I don't see how you can get out of the liability issues.

Soundguy )</font>

Ther is no law that requires a ROPS So how does one violate a law that don't exist?

/ Why not make a fixed ROPS foldable??? #7  
When I was discussing the liability with my insuance agent he called the adujuster who handled such items
regarding such safety issues.
In his words " if any labeled and certifed safety appliance is modified in any way it will void any liability claim "

/ Why not make a fixed ROPS foldable??? #8  
A ROPS might even be stronger after modification, but as others have said, it's strictly a liability question. However, I don't think just cutting yours and adding the same hinge would exactly duplicate an OEM folding ROPS because the folding ROPS are usually taller than the fixed ones, aren't they?

/ Why not make a fixed ROPS foldable??? #9  
HEY BILL ; i would do it and worry about it later. If i was to buy a new tractor and the Rops wast tall to fit in my garage, i would have no quals about cutting it and shorting it and welding it back together.

/ Why not make a fixed ROPS foldable??? #10  
Just thinking out loud here but on the flip side my rig originally came with a folding ROPS. I didn't like the rattle so I took out the pin that is normally removed to fold the ROPS down and replaced it with a hardened bolt and locknut. Didn't need it to fold anyway since our doors are 10'. Since this is not stock does it put me in a compromising position, it was a type of modification, even though I didn't change the strength of the ROPS itself.

Henro I think you get a kick out of making people worry needlessly, and lose sleep. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif