Why some people are too stupid to own a car

/ Why some people are too stupid to own a car #1  

BravoXray

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2230, John Deere 430 Diesel
A guy has a Youtube channel called Wrenching With Kenny. He recently told a story about when he ran a full service gas station and repair shop about a man that came in, asked for a fill-up. As was his routine, Kenny asked if he should check the oil, man said sure. He popped the hood, pulls out the dipstick and there's no oil on it. Sticks it back in and pulls it out again, nothing. He walked over to the driver and said "you're at least two quarts low, want me to add oil?" "Why? the man said, it came with oil when I bought it." Kenny noticed the car had about 30K on it, and doubted that the oil had ever been changed.

/ Why some people are too stupid to own a car #2  
My aunt used to be a service writer for a Kia dealer when they first started the 100,000 mile warranty.

She had a few customers come in with blown engines and oil pans full of tar because they couldn't be bothered with getting the oil changed.

Needless to say warranty didn't cover the blown engine.

/ Why some people are too stupid to own a car #3  
Kenny has a good YT site. I follow him quite a bit. My old boss leased a Chrysler Pacifica and ran it until the engine blew then had the shop install a new rebuilt engine. Never lifted the hood.

/ Why some people are too stupid to own a car #4  
Something I always wondered:

You buy a new truck with a 100K powertrain warranty.
Let’s say the truck has 50,000 miles on it and the tranny (transmission) fails.
In the owners manual it says the transmission fluid must be changed every 25,000 miles.
However, records show the owner waited until 25,500 miles for first transmission fluid change.

Is the warranty voided?

/ Why some people are too stupid to own a car #5  
Something I always wondered:

You buy a new truck with a 100K powertrain warranty.
Let’s say the truck has 50,000 miles on it and the tranny (transmission) fails.
In the owners manual it says the transmission fluid must be changed every 25,000 miles.
However, records show the owner waited until 25,500 miles for first transmission fluid change.

Is the warranty voided?
Potentially yes. But it's not always so cut and dry. Plus there is arbitration available if the dealer is being sticky.
I had a honda that threw a timing belt at 53k ruining the engine. Dealer said the manual says to change the belt at 50k so the warranty is void. I walked across the street and traded it in on a Toyota.

/ Why some people are too stupid to own a car #6  
Potentially yes. But it's not always so cut and dry. Plus there is arbitration available if the dealer is being sticky.
I had a honda that threw a timing belt at 53k ruining the engine. Dealer said the manual says to change the belt at 50k so the warranty is void. I walked across the street and traded it in on a Toyota.
but didn’t you take a beating on the repair?

/ Why some people are too stupid to own a car #7  
We have a lifetime powertrain warranty on my wife's SUV from the dealership. We have to report each maintenance visit to an 800 number with a copy of the receipt in order to keep the warranty current. We're doing that so far for about 1 1/2 years. I'm not sure if we'll be able to keep it up or not. There is no provision for doing your own maintenance.

/ Why some people are too stupid to own a car #8  
but didn’t you take a beating on the repair?
Oh yes. Lesson learned.
But the beating was less from Toyota when I told them I had just walked out of the Honda sales office and they could take their Toyota badged wrecker over there and get the shiny red car in front of their competition. ;)
I still buy Honda today.

/ Why some people are too stupid to own a car #9  
When I drove a van doing liquor delivery for my friends dad, the van was running poorly. I ask my friends dad when it was last serviced, he said about 2 weeks ago.
I pulled the stick and it had no oil.
That van died at 30K and I still think my friends dad kept going back to that station.
He knew nothing about cars, and the station people knew he had money...

/ Why some people are too stupid to own a car #10  
I had a co worker who bought a used low mileage Jeep Wrangler and drove it several years without changing the oil. The engine ended up being toast because of lack of oil.

Some people don’t understand how things work. My son had a friend who was taking the rack out of a gas grill to light it. My son told him it had a hole you could light it without having to remove the rack. Then he showed him and electric sparker button to light it.