Wider front tires M7040 Kubota

/ Wider front tires M7040 Kubota #1  

KenBike

Tractor
Kubota M7040
My front tires are the stock 9.5 24 R1's and want to install wider tires for less compaction and wider front stance.
Willing to swap rims so if you have made this conversion or source please devise.
I use it for my small hay operation.

/ Wider front tires M7040 Kubota #2  
Welcome to TBN from Ea WA state. I have seen threads on TBN discussing this subject. Enter "7040 tires" or "7040 tire swap" or the like to find these threads.

/ Wider front tires M7040 Kubota #3  
I just got a M7060 with wide tires when I go to my shop tonight I'll let you know the size

image-1856099153.jpg

/ Wider front tires M7040 Kubota #4  
I just got a M7060 with wide tires when I go to my shop tonight I'll let you know the size

View attachment 393818
Check the back tire sizes also. There could be a difference in overall height of your rears and his which could throw the ratio out of whack for the 4 WD. He has to keep the same rolling circumference on the front tire as he has now.

/ Wider front tires M7040 Kubota #5  
   / Wider front tires M7040 Kubota #6  
You could get by with a little bit less in rolling distance but I wouldn't go more as the fronts are already pulling the backs along by about 5% as per design. SO the fronts are always spinning a bit faster than the rears which does cause a bit of excess wear. I noticed this on both my tractors and I rarely get them on the asphalt (2 WD always on hard surfaces)so all the wear is from grass and dirt spinning.

/ Wider front tires M7040 Kubota #7  
In addition, you could consider radials along with wider. I put radials on my JD 5520 (18.4x34 and 12.4x24 equiv) and the compaction difference is considerable. I have mowed the lawn with it and not left marks beyond the grass.

/ Wider front tires M7040 Kubota #8  
NO!!! In 4WD you either have lead or lag. Lead is the front turning further than the back and lag is when they turn less. It is ok for the front to "pull" along faster than the rear, but to have them slower you create quite a bind on the drivetrain. The front even in vehicles will usually have lead. When turning, the front tires have to travel farther anyway. So if they were set at the exact same, you would bind the drivetrain anytime you turned.

You could get by with a little bit less in rolling distance but I wouldn't go more as the fronts are already pulling the backs along by about 5% as per design. SO the fronts are always spinning a bit faster than the rears which does cause a bit of excess wear. I noticed this on both my tractors and I rarely get them on the asphalt (2 WD always on hard surfaces)so all the wear is from grass and dirt spinning.

/ Wider front tires M7040 Kubota
I checking on a purchasing tires and rims the same size as Canadian dealers sell locally. My stock 9.5 24 tires are 41.5" Dia. and the metrics in Canada are 41.2" Dia. Hopefully this works out and saves me a trip across the border.

/ Wider front tires M7040 Kubota #10  
I hope you have done the math on the rolling circumference match--just to be safe-- so the fronts are compatible with the rears. Get it wrong and you will screw up the front axle about the same time you chew up the front tires. An easy way is to go with the tire combinations Kubota suggests--and they have LOTS of combos to choose from. Kubota is famous for that. Check the website or the whole goods books at the dealer.