Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor?

/ Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #1  

DerpDerp

Tractor
Kioti NX5510
Hi all, I wont lie, I am totally new to the tractor world. Very familiar with cars and trucks, not so much on tractors. But, I have been reading articles, posts, and watching videos like crazy for the past 2 months learning what I can as we shop tractors.

Lets take the Kioti NX4510 and NX5510 for example. Both HST. Same basic tractor, 10 more HP. Otherwise between the 2, its larger (wider) tires, and a better 3 pt hitch, thats it I think.

So does 10 Hp matter, say your using a decent sized PTO Snowblower in what the town plows leave behind after a 12" snow fall, is that 10 Hp noticeable?

What about if your just pushing snow around with a pusher box, will the extra HP and TQ help?

Is there other benefits of more HP other than running the PTO?

Have you ever in your 35 or 40 Hp tractor, wished you had 45 or 50 Hp?

Curious to hear everyone's opinions, thank you!

/ Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #4  
Depends if your use of said PTO implements demands full power. For me, mowing relatively short grass and brush (because it does not rain in the summer here) with a 5' rotary cutter, I could do that with half the 32 PTO HP my tractor has. Someone with taller grass might need all of it.

When I am using the PTO chipper if I'm feeding it brush or small branches it's loafing but if I give it a 6" branch to chew on I have to set the chipper feed to the minimum and I could still use a extra 10hp.

OTOH I can use all the engine power just climbing my steepest road.

For ground engaging tasks traction is usually the limiter rather than power. That's true even with the heavy Branson with loaded tires.

/ Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #5  
More power on tap on the same tractor increases its working flexibility. A 10HP change on most any tractor would make a huge difference to someone accustomed to the tractor. In the case of an increase you would notice the ability to go up hills faster w/o losing rpm. Less gearshifting because of more grunt in each gear. On an HST you would be able to use a higher Range mowing or snow throwing - this would enable slow to fast groundspeed at full PTO RPM without having to change the range for varying conditions. In general every situation that slowed you down or caused you to have to make repetitive adaptations to the point of annoyance would be alleviated to some extent.

/ Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #6  
Less strain on the motor.

/ Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #7  
Aside from the difference of 10 hp rating at the PTO, it's 25% less (OR 33% MORE). A person who had used the NX5510 would absolutely notice the difference when using the NX4510. However, if no-one has eaten caviar, or sipped scotch, or chocolate cover strawberries, they don't miss them.
Remember the advise - buy all the tractor you can afford. As the owner, you don't necessarily get the use of the greater capacity, but you'll recover your money with the price you'll get when it's time to sell. And at some time, that tractor will be sold, either by you, or your heirs

/ Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #8  
I've got the NX4510HST and am happy with it...BUT would I go 10hp more....???

YES...!!! I've turned down work because I don't have a batwing for my lil ol 39hp PTO......
60 acre job.......and it seems the more willing to turn down jobs and treating my customers respectfully I'm still getting more work.
The NX I have just cut 2 acres of 9 foot tall woody plants 3/4 to 1 inch in diameter. Took six passes and 7 hours......bat wings would have helped a lot.....
Never spoke with a rancher out here saying wish he'd bought smaller.....I bought twice and cried twice....
First one was a CK4010HST root plowing cause machine to stop in its tracks and spin all four wheels.....
The NX just grunts and goes slow but it gets it done.....

My opinion though is free and not worth much more......lol......enjoy your choice......

/ Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #9  
Less strain on the motor.
Unlike cars and pickup trucks tractor engines are made to run at full power for long periods. And your usual CUT user only puts on 100 or so hours a year. I would not worry about engine longevity. Also the emissions system present on models over 25.5 hp works better when the engine is run hard.

/ Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #10  
My TC40DA is 40HP, my Boomer 8N was 50HP, 20% more. PTO HP was 33 vs 40. I could tell the difference using the 6' cutter, especially in tall grass. Get the extra HP if you can.