Will narrower tires than stock flatten out?

/ Will narrower tires than stock flatten out? #1  

nate0918

Tractor
Bolens H16XT
I've got a Bolens h16xt, a small 16hp 2wd garden tractor. It's time for new tires. I use this packing materials around the property. Atv tires have a much wider range of tread options but not in the stock size of 23x10.50-12. A popular size used around here seems to be 25x10x12. Looks like they'll clear height wise. If I go with the 10" width, will the top of the tire flatten out a bit for a flatter footprint? Conversely, if I find something in 11" width will the tires bulge at the top? I'm completely new to tractor tires! I've got clay soil that is really slimy 9 months out of the year and I'd like some more aggressive tires than turfs. I'm keeping the stock 7" rims.

/ Will narrower tires than stock flatten out? #2  
How much shape your tires retain will be a factor of the ply-rating of the tire and its inflation factor.
Four plies compliant. Six+ plies stiff.

I doubt if you will notice any 'real world' difference.

I'd like more aggressive tires than turfs.
23x10.50-12 tires on eBay:

Last edited:
   / Will narrower tires than stock flatten out? #3  
I doubt if you will notice any 'real world' difference.
"I doubt if you will notice any 'real world' difference."
Well sir, for a guy that runs 5 PSIG in his ATV 2 ply tires to get a soft ride, stiff sidewalls makes for a rough ride....there IS a difference!

In answering the question, 2 ply bias bulge at the top and flatten on the bottom even at 5 PSIG. I run ATV tires on my half dozen garden variety tractors for a soft ride and in the "studded snow" variety. Great traction for my 30* slopes in the morning dew with minimal turf damage. I get close with the width spec.

/ Will narrower tires than stock flatten out?
Thanks for the replies, I ordered some 25x10-12 kenda k299 tires 6 ply "rated". I'm hoping for a flatter contact patch but I'm not too picky as long as they have traction.

/ Will narrower tires than stock flatten out? #5  
Thanks for the replies, I ordered some 25x10-12 kenda k299 tires 6 ply "rated". I'm hoping for a flatter contact patch but I'm not too picky as long as they have traction.
I like/run some Kendas. With 6 plies you will probably have good flat contact.....control your air pressure....pump up to max rated and then bleed off while watching the outer tips of the tread on a flat surface (concrete). When the outer edge of the lug just touches the ground, stop bleeding.

/ Will narrower tires than stock flatten out? #6  
Thanks for the replies.
I ordered some 25x10-12 kenda k299 tires 6 ply "rated". I'm hoping for a flatter contact patch but I'm not too picky as long as they have traction.

25x10-12 KENDA K299 BEARCLAW MUD SNOW ATV UTV TIRES (SET OF 2) 25-10-12 25x10x12

Great, thanks for the tip on setting the air pressure! While I'm at it, is there any advantage to filling the tires if I don't have an FEL? I don't want to be slipping around at all. If there aren't any downsides I may go for it.

Last edited:
   / Will narrower tires than stock flatten out? #8  
Filling your rear tires with liquid with increase traction........and tire ruts in soft ground.

Got it. I'll skip the liquid fill and see how it goes. Tires show up in the next couple days.

/ Will narrower tires than stock flatten out? #10  
Place same tires or it will mow funny, you will have to adjust or mod back plates longer

Place chains, thats what I did, Could not climb ditch

Last edited: