Will "these" tractor outlast our parent's/grandparent's tractors?

/ Will "these" tractor outlast our parent's/grandparent's tractors? #1  

Flatheadyoungin

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45 Shuttle
......just thinking out loud here.....and generally speaking.......

I read the other threads about maintenance and how long people plan on keeping "these" tractors (Kubotas, New Hollands, Montanna, Kioti, etc)

When I think of wanting a tough old tractor that is mostly trouble free (besides for their quarks), I think of the old Farmall's, MF......well, just about any of them. Now I know they didn't have cabs, hydro drives, FEL, etc.........

Do you honestly think these will outlast tractors that are, for the most part, still running......if not let rot in to the ground....

Like I said, I saw where people were going to hand them down to relatives, etc........I just wonder if they are built well enough to last that long.....

/ Will "these" tractor outlast our parent's/grandparent's tractors? #2  
Its often the electronics that kills cars today. A faulty engine management system can be impossible or ridiculously expensive to fix or replace. Tractors are simpler but I see most problems on these forums seem to be electric related. (Safety switches etc.) I can't see why, in 50 years time, a Kubota, with all the electronics junk stripped off, couldn't still be running around.

/ Will "these" tractor outlast our parent's/grandparent's tractors? #3  
It's a matter of patience and make-do, IMHO.

The old tractors we remember were repaired and repaired... or stuff just left to not work. Clutches, brakes, gears, generators, points, lots of stuff went wrong and we don't even remember that, because...that's just the way it was. If it busted, you fixed it and went on...either you yourself did it or had it done. Remember, 3 point hitches and remote hydraulics are rather new on the relative horizon. Many of the old tractors didn't have even these fun attachments. PTO was a big deal for some tractors. Much of their work was field work...since the tractor was just an engine to pull something.

I think today's tractors are just as tough if not tougher. They are CERTAINLY a lot more flexible and useful (FEL, 3PH, remotes, multiple hydraulic ports, 4wd, etc). Keep the wires and hoses functional, fluids changed, etc. and I think that these tractors are less trouble than the old ones.

However, our tolerance is down for problems since almost everyone is a part time tractor rider... and we have other things we wish to do with our lives as well...rather than do fixes and maintence.

/ Will "these" tractor outlast our parent's/grandparent's tractors? #4  
Will we be able to find fiberglass hoods and plastic dash boards in 10 years?

/ Will "these" tractor outlast our parent's/grandparent's tractors? #5  
6string said:
Will we be able to find fiberglass hoods and plastic dash boards in 10 years?

At a guess parts like that will be even more available 10 or 20 years from now.
Back yard outfits "cottage industry" will have all the engineering drawings on file and will be able to make a "one off" run while you wait.
I don't yet know what the enabling technologies will be, but custom injection molding could/might/perhaps be a back yard industry of the future.

/ Will "these" tractor outlast our parent's/grandparent's tractors? #6  
Reg said:
At a guess parts like that will be even more available 10 or 20 years from now.
Back yard outfits "cottage industry" will have all the engineering drawings on file and will be able to make a "one off" run while you wait.
I don't yet know what the enabling technologies will be, but custom injection molding could/might/perhaps be a back yard industry of the future.

Obviously, you've never priced tooling for injection molding!

/ Will "these" tractor outlast our parent's/grandparent's tractors? #7  
I can tell you straight up, my new 2008 JD 2320 is not made near as well as my old 1988 JD 650. I came to grips with this fact prior to the purchase of the 2320. But, if I am to leave the kids a tractor I would rather it be the 2320, no question about it.

/ Will "these" tractor outlast our parent's/grandparent's tractors? #8  
Not ALL of the "oldies" are still around. Certain brands, certain models weren't exactly "classics". What we have with todays tractors will somewhat parallel that. Some of these things won't be around long. Some will.

So many of those oldies were so simple anyone with average mechanical skills could keep them in the field. Too many of todays crop seem to puzzle even the dealer techs.

And, we live in a "use it and throw it away" society. Not sure how many of these techno-wonder-tractors will get refurbished 3 or 4 times like the old guys did.

As a good comparison, we needn't look too far back to see how many of the earlier generation of high tech tractors are now parked. A good many from the 80's and 90's are obsolete and too expensive to put back on line. Go to consignment auctions and see 80's models selling for LESS than 60's models.

/ Will "these" tractor outlast our parent's/grandparent's tractors? #9  
Flatheadyoungin said:
......just thinking out loud here.....and generally speaking.......

I read the other threads about maintenance and how long people plan on keeping "these" tractors (Kubotas, New Hollands, Montanna, Kioti, etc)

When I think of wanting a tough old tractor that is mostly trouble free (besides for their quarks), I think of the old Farmall's, MF......well, just about any of them. Now I know they didn't have cabs, hydro drives, FEL, etc.........

Do you honestly think these will outlast tractors that are, for the most part, still running......if not let rot in to the ground....

Like I said, I saw where people were going to hand them down to relatives, etc........I just wonder if they are built well enough to last that long.....

One thing that attracted me to the Mahindra 5525 that I bought last March was the all metal construction. No plastic or fiberglass in place of the sheet metal. Only plastic on it are the seat, steering wheel, floor mats and the covers on the gauges and tail lights. Some people like plastic and fiberglass (no rust). But those materials aren't forever. They have their own degradation mechanisms.

And that 5525 2WD is one of those "simple, honest" tractors that people talk about when the old times are being discussed. It's heritage is the IH B414 of the 1960s.

Time will tell if the engine, tranny and hydraulics in that 5525 can match the 1960s Farmalls and JDs in longevity and reliabilty.

/ Will "these" tractor outlast our parent's/grandparent's tractors? #10  
The tractor is a 1934 Model B General Purpose.
Bought in Trout Creek NY and restored in Lake George NY.
Saw this at the dealers this morning, bet it would go for >$20K

IM000661.JPG

IM000660.JPG

IM000659.JPG