Wireless Driveway alert or alarm recommendations

hosspuller

Veteran Member
Tractor
Didn't intend to have a Deere fleet - it just happened 310C, F915,102, 5200 & 5065E
I have a gravel drive that's 1200 feet from highway to the house. We'd like to have an early warning whenever someone drives up. Longer wireless range would provide more time to prepare to receive visitors. I had an optical alert from Miltronics, but it had too many false alarms from birds and animals. I'm looking for either air hose type or an inductive detector. Would an air hose last or even work reliably on a gravel road ? What's your experience with the inductive types from Dakota, Mighty Mule, etc.? Any other options ?

CADplans

Elite Member
Tractor
584 IH 4WD
We had an inductive,, the sensor sat along side the driveway, in a PVC pipe.
The black box of electronics , with an antenna sticking out,, was hardly sealed,, at all,,
by the time the second set of batteries was dead,, so was the electronics,

Moisture killed it, IMHO,,

I am positive it did not last 20 months.
The price was quite high, considering the life,,

NIXON

Veteran Member
Tractor
L3130 hst
I’ve had the mighty mule one for about 15 years . It only has a range of about 400 ft . But my drive is only 800 . So 400 gives me ample warning of guest . I have though about the Dakota . But it is fairly spendy ,and the mule hasn’t failed .

OP
H

hosspuller

Veteran Member
Tractor
Didn't intend to have a Deere fleet - it just happened 310C, F915,102, 5200 & 5065E
Well trained dog.
I have a well trained dog. But, he's a house dog. The dog relies on the driveway alert. When it alerts, he looks through the window to confirm and then barks at me. :D He treats it like it's a doorbell

Attachments

• Facebook.jpg
    Facebook.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 79

nybirdman

Tractor
Kubota L4240 HSTC,L3000DT
I two Dakota Alerts;they work well,one is 1/2 miles away(Murs type)
Deer will set them off.I recently switched to cell based game cameras and more than happy with this set-up.sends a picture within two minutes.Tatcta Cam Reveal.

jk96

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L6060
I no longer have it since we moved but had great luck with the Dakota alert system Murs system with in ground probe for detecting vehicles.

JD 4520

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4520
I’ve had a Dakota system for several years without failure. The distance is generally good assuming clear path. Obstructions will cause a shorter distance.

coobie

Tractor
Kubota RTV 1100c, JD 740,Kioti DK 40 with KL401 loader .
We purchased a wireless one called driveway informer off amazon.Been more than happy with it.

mikester

Veteran Member
Tractor
M59 TLB
I had the Mule for about 5 years, still had a lot of false positives from passing school buses and transport trucks. Missed about 10-20% of vehicles coming into my driveway depending on weather and how fast the vehicle was moving. Unit stopped working altogether now.

I switched to a eMacros 1/2 mile range solar motion system a year ago and find it catches about 95% of visitors. I have less false positives than the Mule system but it will occasionally go off from a bird or bigger critter with the sensitivity turned to max. I have a second sensor at a farm entrance set to normal sensitivity and don't see any false positives.

RalphVa

Tractor
JD 2025R, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010 & JD 1025R
Have a Dakota alarm with air hose that is about 350 ft away.

Had one on the mailbox as well about 50 ft farther. It failed.

skipmarcy

Veteran Member
Tractor
2001 Mahindra 4110
Our Mighty Mule is about 250' down our gravel driveway from the house. I buried the coil right in the edge of the gravel maybe 6" - 8" deep approx. 12-13 years ago. Still works just dandy with maybe 3 or 4 false alarms a year (sunspots ?) Maybe 1 missed detection a year. The 2 AA batteries get changed maybe once a year, sometimes a little longer. Might have been able to go a little further from the house if my siding wasn't steel but it all works good enough for us in our situation.

KennyG

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
Mighty Mule has worked very well for several years at a distance of about 300 feet. Your distance may be the big challenge if you want to place it all the way at the entrance.

bmaverick

Elite Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM2610, retired JD 850, retired DYT-4000
Been using the $9.00 HF driveway alarms forever.

Yes, and it works sooooo GREAT. Amazing price from Harbor Freight. I've wired it directly to avoid changing the batteries. For some reason, that helped with giving it more range like the unit became more alert.

Not only for driveways either. I have one out by my girls (hens) coop. I've spotted coons, coyotes and foxes from the alerts going off. Better than a trail cam, I can sleuth in real time to catch them all.

Last edited:

Super Star Member
Top Poster Of Month
Tractor
M9000 HDCC3 M9000 HDC
caught a few racoons that way pilfering the cat food. I set the bowl in clear sight of the back deck. Alarm goes off and get the .17 HMR out and bang. No more coon.

B7510HSD

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2601
I installed a Reolink wireless camera it gives me a chime as well as a short vidoes to see what it is works great. Mine is about 400ft away from Wifi and has a solar panel for keeping it charged.

BrierPatch

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620 364 FEL, BH65, 60" MMM
I highly recommend the Dakota Alert. I have about a 1200' drive as well. They work better with line of sight, but mine goes thru some trees so I run it at about 500'. Still have plenty of time to get to front door/window before vehicle makes it all the way up. I had an earlier model 3000 series and had issues with keeping batteries working in it. I finally upgraded to a newer 2500 series and it has worked great. I am assuming the new 4000 would work just as well. The CR123A batteries last forever. My brother-in-law recently moved out in the country with a long drive as well. He asked me what I used and he has one of the newer models and is very pleased with his.

JethroB

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5460 HST
I purchased the $75 Mighty Mule metal detection unit from Amazon about six months ago. It’s about 200 feet from the house & receiver and 100 feet from the county road. A lot of false alarms at first but turning the sensitivity down to 3/4 solved that. I haven’t bothered to bury the sensor yet, just tossed it under some brush about 6 feet from the lane. The transmitter is nearby and zip tied to a tree. About one day a week it doesn’t work at all for unknown reasons. Otherwise it works maybe 90% of the time.

Deere Dude

Elite Member
Beaver Dam Wisconsin then to Hohenwald, TN
Tractor
John Deere 3720
Have a Mighy Mule that I used in our last house. Worked well enough to warrant keepng it, like new. The alarm was aggravating and drove the wife nuts. Plus, as often as it went off, disconnecting it was a pain.

If I mowed the lawn I would set it off everytime I came close to it so it was aggravating to everyone in the house. Finally pulled it out and stored it.

Last edited:

repete

Platinum Member
Tractor
L2550DT IH584-4WD
I use the Dakota Alert magnetic loop under the driveway. About 3000' distance. I used a piece of PVC pipe under the driveway to set the sensor. It is sensitive enough to detect a rifle being carried over the sensor and no false trips for animals, only metal objects.

It also senses the magnetic field created by lighting miles away.

Last edited:

Walt44

Tractor
Kubota L3010 GST /w/ LA 481 Loader, RTV x900
Look at Milton Bells. We have had the wireless version in service for about 10 years.

OP
H

hosspuller

Veteran Member
Tractor
I use the Dakota Alert magnetic loop under the driveway. About 3000' distance. I used a piece of PVC pipe under the driveway to set the sensor. It is sensitive enough to detect a rifle being carried over the sensor and no false trips for animals, only metal objects.

It also senses the magnetic field created by lighting miles away.

I have a GE brand inductive sensor for the last several years. I'm plagued with false alarms. I thought it because of my electric fence across the drive from the sensor. I was interested in a longer signal distance to install it away from the fence. I didn't think of the lightning storms. I wonder if reducing the sensitivity will help yet detect vehicles if buried in the driveway.

OP
H

hosspuller

Veteran Member
Tractor
Look at Milton Bells. We have had the wireless version in service for about 10 years.

Walt44 How long does the hose last ? Is your driveway paved ?

workinonit

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5090E
I have Ring cameras. I live 1/4 mile off the highway and I can set my cameras up to detect cars passing on the highway if I so desire or just detect motion down my driveway. However I can see the cars pass throgh the trees in front so you would need line of sight. Not necessarily unobstructed but you need to be able to detect motion. All you need is Wifi if you use their battery powered cameras. I really like the way they work and the options you have with them.

workinonit

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5090E
I also like them because you can view them on your phone and talk to the friend or foe if you aren't home.

bdhsfz6

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5800 HST & L6060 HSTC Formerly L6060 HST B7100 HST, L2550, L3010 HST, L3430 HST
You might check out this similar thread.

Includes lots of good suggestions.

OP
H

hosspuller

Veteran Member
Tractor
Have only replaced the hose once with crushed limestone driveway.
I have ordered a Dakota Alert with the rubber hose across a gravel driveway. I had to choose between false alerts and the obvious hose across the drive. I liked the idea of the invisible inductive sensor buried beneath the road. I think the malevolent visitor is less likely than the delivery and friendly people.
I don't like getting caught in my underwear :oops:

BigBlue1

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD: 2520 & x758
Does anyone have any experience with an alert system that combines with a camera for pictures/video of the vehicle coming down the driveway? I'd like to get an alert about a vehicle entering but also see it.

goeduck

Tractor
Kubota, Massey, Iseki
I have Ring cameras. I live 1/4 mile off the highway and I can set my cameras up to detect cars passing on the highway if I so desire or just detect motion down my driveway. However I can see the cars pass throgh the trees in front so you would need line of sight. Not necessarily unobstructed but you need to be able to detect motion. All you need is Wifi if you use their battery powered cameras. I really like the way they work and the options you have with them.
People are happy with Ring, for sure. On the doorbell camera I ordered Amcrest's AD410 version today which allows video storage on a micro SD card and without a monthly fee. I plan to also take the video feed into my Blue Iris camera software and store it there as well. The other cameras pick up vehicles onto my property easy enough. I plan on adding a driveway sensor as backup and maybe take an input into a camera so I can get alerts on my phone. Some of our "visitors" are on foot so I do not think the air hose type will work for me.

workinonit

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5090E
I figure $100 a year is pretty cheap for video storage and playback.

workinonit

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5090E
Most times if I get an alert on my phone and hit the alert it will go live fast enough to catch what triggered the alert.

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
My "down side" is distance. My driveway is a mile long - straight as an arrow. Goes right down the section line. I could mount a transmitter - high in an 'ol pine but I know of no unit that can transmit a mile plus.

bdhsfz6

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5800 HST & L6060 HSTC Formerly L6060 HST B7100 HST, L2550, L3010 HST, L3430 HST
My "down side" is distance. My driveway is a mile long - straight as an arrow. Goes right down the section line. I could mount a transmitter - high in an 'ol pine but I know of no unit that can transmit a mile plus.
Have you looked at cellular game cameras? I use this one from Reconyx:

It's range is unlimited as long as you have cell service where you live. It's spendy but it's flexible and can be used anywhere for other purposes if desired. There is a $15/monthly fee for remote alerting but it can be renewed month to month and suspended when not needed.

I have a camo unit mounted out of sight at the end of my long drive. It alerts my smartphone when tripped with a delay of around 10 seconds. That gives me plenty of time to go out and greet whoever is coming up the drive.

I also use a Nest security camera mounted on the garage facing the house. It too alerts my smartphone when tripped. It has facial recognition software and can zoom in on license plates. It also records audio and has speaker capability so you can talk with delivery people, etc. The service costs $137/year for 30 day image storage. 24 hour storage is free.

The video & still pics on both cameras can be viewed anywhere via the internet or smartphone.

Otgaugres

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 4066R, John Deere 2720, Bobcat E50R2, Bobcat T595. Ventrac 4520Z
I’ve been using the long range version of the Guardline system for about 2 years now. Excellent results. It’s almost 100% reliable. Battery life on the sensors seems to be very good. 3 of my 4 sensors are still on the original lithium batteries. Two of the 4 are on my primary driveway which is triggered multiple times per day. We do get a few nuisance alarms from small animals and birds. The system will monitor up to 4 sensors with the base unit playing a different and unique alarm for each one. I have parallel base units on my main and lower levels. There are also 12 volt dry contacts for hooking up to external devices. Highly recommend.

DJP

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra,4500
Walt44 How long does the hose last ? Is your driveway paved ?
HI: Hosspuller.et off on a different story. This is where I found you. I have a Mahindra 4500 2wd, I just had issues with my power steering fluid overheating. My tractor has been jacked up off the front wheels the past two months. The over heating was a bad seal in the front wheel cylinder. I was able to turn the steering wheel and the front wheels would turn left and right, even when the power steering fluid was running hot. Now I have corrected the over heating power steering fluid, when I took the front wheel cylinder to the shop and the shop replaced the seals in the cylinder. Now after reinstalling the cylinder, my left tire wheel can move from left to right. but the right wheel appear to be locked/froze, will not turn left or right. But you can turn the right wheel round and round. Took off the cylinder, and I can move the left wheel left and right manually. But again the right wheel will not let me turn it left or right manually. It appear my right wheel HUB is froze of locked. Could the problem be in the right HUB spindle housing?? Do I need to break down, knock out the right wheel spindle. Can I do this job myself?? I can see that I WILL NNED TO REMOVE THE BOLT AND NUT JUST BELOW THE LARGE cASTLE NUT and also remove the castle nut pin and large castle bolt on TOP OF THE spindle. Do I need to knock it out with a sledge hammer?? Can I myself do that??? Thing I have already done on my tractor..1. removed the gas tank. 2 removed the stump jumper. 3 removed the front wheel cylinder. 4 replaced the seal at the back of the tractor, where the tractor turn the bush hall. Are there any pictures or steps on how to replaced the Front wheel HUB repair kit???

ljjhouser

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L4701
Does anyone have any experience with an alert system that combines with a camera for pictures/video of the vehicle coming down the driveway? I'd like to get an alert about a vehicle entering but also see it.
My camera systems can alert me when there is motion. i first had it set that way - but I got an alert every time the wind blew. I also have a GPS on the trailer and it is EXCELLENT in sending me a text is there is anymovement or changes.

BigBlue1

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD: 2520 & x758
My camera systems can alert me when there is motion. i first had it set that way - but I got an alert every time the wind blew. I also have a GPS on the trailer and it is EXCELLENT in sending me a text is there is anymovement or changes.
What camera do you use?

nybirdman

Tractor
Kubota L4240 HSTC,L3000DT
TacTacam cell based camera;I receive pictures in two minutes from 3/4 mile away.

ljjhouser

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L4701
What camera do you use?
In the beginning I used cvi cameras, then later hybrid camera on my DVRs. But I also have a NVR with 2or 3 mp Ip cameras. They are by far the best and hi def. I have used. They are POE (Power over Ethernet cable). I get all my Camera supplies from SecurityCameraKing.com They are very good. They also have learning videos on their download part of the site. I hope this helps a little. A DVR or NVR are box devices that record what the camera input is. The NVR cameras are usually a Hi def camera and are MP cameras (mega pixel). A 2 MP camera can be purchased for about $50-$60 and will be very clear. Most DVR or NVR have have 8 or 16 inputs for cameras and an 8 DVR or NVR will record 8 cameras on whatever schedule you wish, or full 24 hrs a day and retain the recording for a month. DEV and NVR must use ethernet cable to connect to router or switch or hub. And the cameras connet to the NVR via ethernet cable. DVRs connect to the camera with a BNC connector and dual cable which carries both video and power. NVR camera cable can be run much futher than the dual cable used for DVRs and cvi cameras.
The camera systems are based on internet access and I can see them from anywhere or download recording anywhere, with computer or cell phone.
All the cameras I use have infrared so they can see in the night in black and white. They are all color when there is light.

Last edited:

B7510HSD

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2601
Try Reolink been very happy with them you can use via Wifi or you can get the cell option as well. I have the Wifi and they use a solar panel for charging so no wires at all mine is 500ft from the house and works great.

ljjhouser

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L4701
Try Reolink been very happy with them you can use via Wifi or you can get the cell option as well. I have the Wifi and they use a solar panel for charging so no wires at all mine is 500ft from the house and works great.
Reolink Cameras do look very good. I think most of the storage of recording is on a card. Is your Reolink a cellular camera or is it still dependent on wifi. 500 ft is a long distance.

B7510HSD

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2601
I have a card in mine and can download if needed but I just leave it go and when the card is full it overwrites the oldest saved info with new so no need to erase the card. Mine is Wifi only.

OP
H

hosspuller

Veteran Member
Tractor
An update to my post. I purchased a Dakota alert 4000 series driveway alert. My choices were between the inductive sensor or the rubber hose sensor. The post by Repete: "...It also senses the magnetic field created by lighting miles away...." helped make the choice. I got the rubber hose transmitter. After a month, I'm pleased. There's no false alarm, which was the bane of the previous alerts. Only down side is the obvious rubber hose across the driveway. Some people don't even notice the hose, although a person bent on evil would be alert to potential alarms. My gravel drive doesn't seem to damage the hose with my traffic volume. I'm pleased with the Dakota alert system.

Last edited:

Walt44

Tractor
Kubota L3010 GST /w/ LA 481 Loader, RTV x900
HI: Hosspuller.et off on a different story. This is where I found you. I have a Mahindra 4500 2wd, I just had issues with my power steering fluid overheating. My tractor has been jacked up off the front wheels the past two months. The over heating was a bad seal in the front wheel cylinder. I was able to turn the steering wheel and the front wheels would turn left and right, even when the power steering fluid was running hot. Now I have corrected the over heating power steering fluid, when I took the front wheel cylinder to the shop and the shop replaced the seals in the cylinder. Now after reinstalling the cylinder, my left tire wheel can move from left to right. but the right wheel appear to be locked/froze, will not turn left or right. But you can turn the right wheel round and round. Took off the cylinder, and I can move the left wheel left and right manually. But again the right wheel will not let me turn it left or right manually. It appear my right wheel HUB is froze of locked. Could the problem be in the right HUB spindle housing?? Do I need to break down, knock out the right wheel spindle. Can I do this job myself?? I can see that I WILL NNED TO REMOVE THE BOLT AND NUT JUST BELOW THE LARGE cASTLE NUT and also remove the castle nut pin and large castle bolt on TOP OF THE spindle. Do I need to knock it out with a sledge hammer?? Can I myself do that??? Thing I have already done on my tractor..1. removed the gas tank. 2 removed the stump jumper. 3 removed the front wheel cylinder. 4 replaced the seal at the back of the tractor, where the tractor turn the bush hall. Are there any pictures or steps on how to replaced the Front wheel HUB repair kit???
Driveway is limestone and have replaced the hose 1 time.

goeduck

Tractor
Kubota, Massey, Iseki
I wanted to get wired Ethernet net out to my shop which is about 200' from the house so that I could put some POE cameras on it. Wifi is very, very marginal at that distance. I went with a Netgear powerline product to get on and off the 220V electrical service I already had to the shop (rides on the power). I get around 140 Mbps Ethernet over the link and now have 4 POE cameras out there, two 5MP and two 3 MP

ljjhouser

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L4701
I wanted to get wired Ethernet net out to my shop which is about 200' from the house so that I could put some POE cameras on it. Wifi is very, very marginal at that distance. I went with a Netgear powerline product to get on and off the 220V electrical service I already had to the shop (rides on the power). I get around 140 Mbps Ethernet over the link and now have 4 POE cameras out there, two 5MP and two 3 MP
140 mbps sounds good. But I suspect that is your download speed. What is your upload speed. That is what holds most camera work up.