Wish I had a camera. Stihl in a JD FEL.

/ Wish I had a camera. Stihl in a JD FEL. #1  

dmccarty

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4700
Driving home tonight I passed a house where I have seen a guy working with a JD tractor. I think its a 7xx or 9xx tractor but I can't tell since the road curves and I can't get a good look at the tractor.

Today I drove by and the man had the FEL a good six feet in the air. And he was standing in the bucket. We have had threads on people doing this before but this still gives me the wileys.

He was very scary. He was attaching a rope to the tree limb he was trying to cut with his Stihl. Why was he doing this ye ask? Well the limb he was cutting looked like it was 4-6 inches in diameter.

The bar was pinched in the limb. He was using the bottom of the bar to cut the bottom of the limb. In other words the saw was pinched upside down. I assume he was attempting to use the rope to pull the end side of the limb so he could free his saw. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I assume he was trying to make a clean cut by cutting the bottom of the limb before making the final cut. But he had cut into at least half of the limb so it pinched the bar.

I can't see how he made that cut with the upside down saw. I certainly don't see why he did not just make a small cut with the top of the bar.

Wish I had a camera.

Later,
Dan

/ Wish I had a camera. Stihl in a JD FEL. #2  
Did you help him get his saw unstuck?

If in that predicament, (I've not been in that one!), I would have used the rope to tie the saw up so it wouldn't fall to the ground, and then would have used the FEL to lift the partially cut branch to loosen the saw, and let it hang by the rope.

That is if I had to do it alone. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Wish I had a camera. Stihl in a JD FEL. #3  
have you heard the sirens yet?

uh ... yea, use the saw upside down ... that'll make it work better for an undercut. OMG!

/ Wish I had a camera. Stihl in a JD FEL. #4  
I've thought about taking my electric pole saw and building a boom arm for my FEL so I can trim some 20ft tall limbs.

What has stopped me is the FEAR of getting my saw stuck up that high and not have a good way to retrieve it.

Getting into a bucket is not a good plan even at moderate heights!

ron

/ Wish I had a camera. Stihl in a JD FEL. #5  
Real simple fix here is to have two bars. That way you can always cut the other one out.

-dave

/ Wish I had a camera. Stihl in a JD FEL.
Beenthere,

Nope I did not stop to help. I was driving by at 55 mph heading home with two kids and a wife who spent the day in the ER. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Tieing up the saw and using the FEL is what I would have done as well. Except I NEVER would have been in the bucket in the first place. Nor would I have been using a chainsaw running upside down. I really don't know how he did it. I did not see a ladder. If he had been using a ladder I could see how he got the saw upside down which is not safe at all.

Later,
Dan

/ Wish I had a camera. Stihl in a JD FEL.
I drive by this morning. The limb was cut. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Actually it looked like what he had was a tree trunk that was growing off at an angle which is what he trimmed. Just looking at the tree I'm not sure why he just did not cut down the whole thing.

I could not see the tractor so I assume that EMS did not get a call.

Later,
Dan

/ Wish I had a camera. Stihl in a JD FEL. #8  
<font color="blue"> Just looking at the tree I'm not sure why he just did not cut down the whole thing.
</font>

Because his saw was in the tree? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif