Wood bb72 or Bush hog sq72

/ Wood bb72 or Bush hog sq72 #1  

Anonymous Poster

Does any one have any comments on these two rotary cutters(pros/cons). I here both are good. Need to decide on one for my L3830. I do have a woods Hb72 Box scraper and like it very well. Thanks for any information.

/ Wood bb72 or Bush hog sq72 #2  
They're both good brands, I bought my first Bush Hog brand cutter this past spring.... so far so good. I went with a 286, a little more weight than what your looking at, but the finish and such is doing well. The paint is really holding up better than some other cutters we've had. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

No flaking or peeling at all, but it did cost a few $$$'s more than the cheaper units we've been using.

/ Wood bb72 or Bush hog sq72 #3  
As far as their standard duty rotary cutters are concerned, I looked at the Bush Hog brand and they are not any better than a KingKutter. The Woods are much better, but I decided to save some money, so I bought a KingKutter. Also, Woods has 3 year warranty on the gearbox and Bush Hog only has two year limited warranty. So, for the money a Woods is a better choice.

As far as their medium and heavy duty rotary cutters are concerned, Woods has 150 horsepower gearboxes with 5-year warranty and Bush Hog only has 110 HP gearboxes with two year limited warranty. So, for the money a Woods is a better choice.

/ Wood bb72 or Bush hog sq72
Do you think the L3830 will handle the 286? The manual says 926 Lbs. and 72 inches. The 286 wieghs about 922. It handles the hb72 box scraper well. in fact I pulled it up hill (mountain) with full load in medium. At first I thought it would be too much.

/ Wood bb72 or Bush hog sq72 #5  
I just got my BB72 yesterday, so I have yet to use it, BUT from the manuals alone, I'd say go with the SQ. Bird (TBN member) had to link me to the Squealer's manual ( here ) just so I could figure out how to check the PTO shaft length! The BB manual said nothing about this. Most experienced "farmers" might know this trivial bit of info, but I find it a gross oversight on their part (and have already given them heck about it)...

ANYWAY, the mowers seem to be very similar, right down to the deck design. Comparing the specs (I have the BB manual right here):

BB72 wins in weight (702lbs to 650), standard slipclutch, and a wider tractor HP range.

SQ72 wins in cutting height (12.5" compared to 9"), overall length (it's shorter by 8") and operator manual thoroughness. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Both seem to be equal in cutting capacity (1"), deck thickness (10 guage) and blade tip speed. Now, how the prices compare, I don't know. I can tell you I paid $1150 for the BB72, which included delivery and assembly. No options, like chain guards, etc though.

I hope this helps.

- Gerald

/ Wood bb72 or Bush hog sq72 #6  
Oh, forgot to mention that the Woods has a 3 year gearbox warranty, where the Bush Hog only has a two . . .

- G

I believe the woods is a little heavier but not sure I'll have to check. Seems like some were I've read that the woods had had an issue with the paint. I could be wrong and it could have been another brand. My Fatherinlaw has had a king cutter for over a decade now with no troubles as far as I know. We have a lot of rocks and so forth so I am loking at a little heavier model.

Wow Gerald You type fast. I guess now I know which one is heavier. I'm like you I need the manual to be detailed as well. I thought the Woods Deck was 11 Guage Though. Thanks for the information.

/ Wood bb72 or Bush hog sq72 #9  
I'm the fastest hunt-n-peck typist in the NE!

I was going to qualify that statement, but I was already so longwinded. The Woods site says 11 guage, but the manual I got says 10 or 11, whatever that means... Pick one! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

- Gerald

<font color="blue"> I can tell you I paid $1150 for the BB72, which included delivery and assembly. No options, like chain guards, etc though. </font>

Boy, GSS, you scared me for a minute!

The price I got for the BB60CW from Turner [the same place for you guys not local] was $1,175. BUT that was with chain guards and slip clutch. I guess yours comes with the slip clutch standard...

Now I don't feel too bad... Chain guards are an expensive option...but not cheap even if you make them yourself.

I was interested in the chain guards as I thought they might be better when backing into brush with the cutter, as opposed to moving forward...not sure about this though...should have asked here first I guess!!!