Wood burners: Ordered a pair of these babys today.

/ Wood burners: Ordered a pair of these babys today. #1  

MiserableOldFart

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH Workmaster 40, Kubota GR2120
If these work as advertised, they are going to be a very big help to me in the woods. Lots of places I just can't get any equipment in due to steepness, and have to carry out short distance to my truck, tractor or DR Powerwagon.

I have been eying a $1300 capstan winch, but these might save me that purchase if I don't go too deep into the woods.. I have my fingers crossed..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUZbMD7R97E&feature=player_embedded

/ Wood burners: Ordered a pair of these babys today. #2  
They should work well. Kind of look like what masons use to lift 6 or 7 bricks.

/ Wood burners: Ordered a pair of these babys today. #3  
seem interesting

/ Wood burners: Ordered a pair of these babys today.
I will post a review here when I get to use them. Probably won't be for a couple months as I don't usually go in the woods in the hot weather - too many wasps and snakes.. especially wasps.. chances of a serious snake bite are small, but lots of people get nasty multiple stings when they chance into a wasp nest - paper wasps and mud daubers seldom sting, but yellow jackets and hornets are another matter.

They came today, too late to give them a test run. I was busy taking apart the carburetor on the old wheelhorse and seeing if by some miracle I'll be able to put it back together well enough to work again. The things look well made, but I hope to get a feel for them in a brief test tomorrow. Still too early to be going into the woods to do any serious damage, but just to throw around a few pieces of wood..

Finally got out and used them today, and as I feared, I ordered too big. Reordered the small size today. I cut my wood generally 15-20 inches, shooting for 16". Should have ordered the small ones from the start - Since I was mainly interested in carrying heavy logs in the woods, not tossing around small stuff, I thought going bigger might be a good idea. It isn't. It's really a simple matter of the angle that the point makes with the wood, and it's purely my fault. Will try to sell the long ones, or maybe consider 24" wood.. 24" fits in the old franklin stove we have here, and also in my splitter. I had been considering replacing the franklin stove with something more efficient, but the costs of the modifications they want to make to the chimney took a $2600 stove into the $7000 range, and out of mine. Of course any new stove wouldn't take 24" wood by a long shot.

/ Wood burners: Ordered a pair of these babys today. #7  
The portable capstan winches are great. I wish I had gotten mine years earlier. I end up using it for more than just pulling out logs. It is also nice for taking care of trees that storms have made lean into other trees.

You might consider an outside wood boiler if you upgrade instead of putting money into a chimney.

Ken

Well, after many moons I finally got out in the woods and used the correct size of the tool for some heavy lifting, and they are fantastic. Like them a lot. The idea of having a pair of them is a good one for productivity, but not really necessary, as I thought they might be, for balance. One is way better than none. On a 14 inch diameter, 16" log that weighs maybe 60-70 pounds or so, the handle sits about 16 inches higher than you would have to reach to pick the log up. It's easier on the back, and much easier for balance. Highly recommend, and from where I sit, having just one will do you a lot of good.

There are, of course, dangers with the very, very sharp points on these things. I doubt they are ever going to slip off a log, but just in case, you should keep your body parts out of the potential path.. and take the necessary normal precautions when handling anything with a very sharp point.

/ Wood burners: Ordered a pair of these babys today. #9  
For balance you need one in each hand. May as well get that second one ordered so it just takes oldfart half as long.:D

I got the pair, but found it wasn't necessary.. yes, of course faster using both..
but one will work quite well.