wood oil based stain/preservatives?

/ wood oil based stain/preservatives? #11  
You don't say if there is already any paint on the wood.

I would never use water based paint on anything that is exposed to the weather.

A few years ago, I put new plywood deck on my small trailer and use a water based paint on it. One year later the paint is all washed off.

I went to a local paint store, not a big box store, and got some black, oil based paint. As it was still almost new wood, I put two coats on it. It has been about 4 years not with this paint and it still looks great.

Richard

/ wood oil based stain/preservatives? #12  
I, too, am looking for something for the decks.

I tried the ATO from HD, it was water based. Went on great, but didn't last more than a year, probably less. The only color left is on the sides of the boards and in the nooks and crannies. The 'walkway' area wore off in a matter of months. The areas that no one even walks on wore off at about the year mark.
It didn't peel, it just disappeared......

I was thinking of trying the Penofin products, good reviews.... but so did the ATO stuff. I'm tired of paying $45-55 /gal, to have it wear off in 6 months.

/ wood oil based stain/preservatives? #13  
I don't want to hijack from the OP, but I'll into Cabot. It's an older deck. I need to clean and power wash. All old stain seems to be gone. Thank you for the suggestions.

/ wood oil based stain/preservatives?
You don't say if there is already any paint on the wood.

I would never use water based paint on anything that is exposed to the weather.

A few years ago, I put new plywood deck on my small trailer and use a water based paint on it. One year later the paint is all washed off.

I went to a local paint store, not a big box store, and got some black, oil based paint. As it was still almost new wood, I put two coats on it. It has been about 4 years not with this paint and it still looks great.

Richard
I got some good stuff from folks who do log home refinishing who said it was the best. They also gave me cleaning chemicals, cleaning brushes and said how to redo this previously strained wood. (originally stained with the same product) It only lasted about one year and sections of this stain are already coming off.. I actually do to like using and the looks of the stain, it just doesn't last long enough.

Today and this is for my projects, I'm looking for an oil based stain that will last for a few years longer.

/ wood oil based stain/preservatives? #15  
The ATO at the big box stores are water based only. Have to go to a specialty paint store. Here Kelly Moore has it in stock. Dunn Edward's, or Sherwin William's can special order it if not in stock. Another choice is Armstrong Clark they use a mineral oil base.

/ wood oil based stain/preservatives? #17  
At the local state park where I work, the old guys swear by "CWF" clear wood finish. We use cedar tinted on the cedar kit cabins. Looks great. Oil clean up. It's a big name product, like Olympia, can't remember exactly.

Seems I read somewhere that finishes with at least some color in them, had longer life characteristics.

/ wood oil based stain/preservatives? #19  
Use straight boiled linseed oil. Apply liberally. If stain is needed, apply a oil based stain (two coats first). Let both sink in and dry before applying second or successive coats. Recoat every few years to keep protected..

Ron

Use straight boiled linseed oil. Apply liberally. If stain is needed, apply a oil based stain (two coats first). Let both sink in and dry before applying second or successive coats. Recoat every few years to keep protected..

Ron
My folks used straight boiled linseed oil on there house siding to save $$ when it was being built and it didn't last long eoumnght to spit. Cheimcals made for the job at hand tend to cost more, but last since they are made for whatever job.