wood oil based stain/preservatives?

/ wood oil based stain/preservatives? #31  
Try Penetrol - it's a multiuse Oil based product, it's uses include:
- woood undercoat/preserver
- paint additive for timber/metal
- rust inhibitor/preventative on metal
- marine applications
I've used it with great success for everything from rust prevention on Agriculture/Earthmoving machinery to undercoating household timber decks to preserving timber hardwood decks on semi trailers & stock yards..etc.
There's nothing quite like it.

/ wood oil based stain/preservatives? #32  
Any brand recommendations? I'm going to follow along since I'm getting ready to do my deck...

/ wood oil based stain/preservatives? #33  
I have a cedar timber house - PanAbode. Over 40+ years I've tried a few different products. Behr - a linseed oil product - a urethane product. They have all had bad results. Turning yellow - not soaking into the wood - creating huge blisters/bubbles.

I finally found a product that works very well and lasts a LONG time. It's - In-Wood, semi-translucent, oil stain. Comes in many shades and also clear. I use and like - Tobacco. I stained the entire house ten years ago. Still looks acceptable. The southern exposure will be redone either later this summer or next year.

I purchase this product at United Paints - locally.

/ wood oil based stain/preservatives? #34  
Ready Seal oil stains work well for me. It rather hard to find and expensive. It is quite oily, soaks in, blends well, and makes rain water bead up on the wood. I've purchased 5 gallon cans of it from Amazon. About 1/3 of them get damaged in transit and never arrive or arrive damaged. No $ problem with Amazon policies but slows the project down. It is available in different colors. There must be a couple Amazon trucks out there somewhere with smelly dark brown interiors.....

/ wood oil based stain/preservatives? #35  
Try the Cabots Australian Timber oil (not the water based) it is without a doubt the best I've come across. If you want a proving ground for wood treatments in wet environments we got it.

Australian Timber Oil did not hold up well for me however I think it was simply because the PT lumber hadn't seasoned enough - going to be using again on well seasoned lumber (3 yrs ish) - have anyone ever mixed one of these oil based treatment with diesel oil - I have used diesel oil mixed with eng oil to do my garden tool handles, really like the outcome, penetration is amazing, smell is short lived, doesn't leave the hand smelling with use (thus far).

/ wood oil based stain/preservatives? #36  
I use this stuff...works well.

paint_template-1

/ wood oil based stain/preservatives?
Australian Timber Oil did not hold up well for me however I think it was simply because the PT lumber hadn't seasoned enough - going to be using again on well seasoned lumber (3 yrs ish) - have anyone ever mixed one of these oil based treatment with diesel oil - I have used diesel oil mixed with eng oil to do my garden tool handles, really like the outcome, penetration is amazing, smell is short lived, doesn't leave the hand smelling with use (thus far).
I wouldn't delute it. You do know used oil is a bad carcinogen and I'd suggest using gloves to handle it.

Last edited:
   / wood oil based stain/preservatives? #38  
Yeah it does need to be reasonably dry for the best results.

/ wood oil based stain/preservatives? #39  
Three years ago we re-stained our house and deck. PPG ProLux on the house, it was $40 a gallon then.
But so far holding up. Cabot Deck Correct on the deck, and it too is holding up quite well.

/ wood oil based stain/preservatives?
Thanks for the responses and recommendations for oil based coverings.