Wood splitter on a 790?

/ Wood splitter on a 790? #1  

grnspot110

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 1944- H, 1961 Cub Lo-Boy, 2016- JD 2025R, 2018- JD X580
I have a vertical hyd splitter I made to use on my JD 1958 - 520 using tractor hydraulics. I've sold the 520,so I need to re-make the splitter to use on my 790. Plan is to set it up to "free-stand" the splitter(maybe w/bracing) beside the tractor & hook the hyd. hoses to the "bucket" connections on the tractor.

I've used this set-up on the 520 for several years & though it's not fast, it works well for me. I work by myself, so speed is not a problem! This is not something I will use frequently, but comes in handy sometimes. I prefer to split by hand if it's not too hot.

Any suggestions? ~~ grnspot110

Attachments

• Picture 264 (Small).jpg
    Picture 264 (Small).jpg
    45 KB · Views: 743
  • Picture 265 (Small).jpg
    Picture 265 (Small).jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 788
   / Wood splitter on a 790? #2  
I have a vertical hyd splitter I made to use on my JD 1958 - 520 using tractor hydraulics. I've sold the 520,so I need to re-make the splitter to use on my 790. Plan is to set it up to "free-stand" the splitter(maybe w/bracing) beside the tractor & hook the hyd. hoses to the "bucket" connections on the tractor.

I've used this set-up on the 520 for several years & though it's not fast, it works well for me. I work by myself, so speed is not a problem! This is not something I will use frequently, but comes in handy sometimes. I prefer to split by hand if it's not too hot.

Any suggestions? ~~ grnspot110

Seems to me that quite a few 790 owners have used a wood splitter on their tractors. I think most of 'em used the Power Beyond hydraulics to run the splitter. I think the 790 provides about 5 gpm or so.....what do you need to operate that cylinder efficiently?

/ Wood splitter on a 790?
I don't have the Power Beyond on mine. Anybody know what that would cost (approx.) installed? I'm thinking of being beside the tractor for easy access to the joy stick.

Not sure what the gpm's were on the 520, do know it had low pressure system. ~~ grnspot110

/ Wood splitter on a 790? #4  
Seems to me that quite a few 790 owners have used a wood splitter on their tractors. I think most of 'em used the Power Beyond hydraulics to run the splitter. I think the 790 provides about 5 gpm or so.....what do you need to operate that cylinder efficiently?

According to my manual, the 790 main pump can pump 5.6gpm at rated speed, and the power steering is 4.3gpm. Total flow is 9.9gpm, but that's not really a usable spec is it?? The two systems can't be combined, right??

/ Wood splitter on a 790? #5  
I have a power beyond on my 2009 3005 (renumbered 790) - essentially two hydraulic hoses coming out the back with no valve. They couple together when not in use for an implement. Had them put on by the dealer for $250when I bought it last December . Use the hydraulics it to run my Rankin ~20 ton splitter. It may not be fast enough for some, but boy is it effective!! :thumbsup:See some of my other posts for pictures.
Mf

/ Wood splitter on a 790? #6  
According to my manual, the 790 main pump can pump 5.6gpm at rated speed, and the power steering is 4.3gpm. Total flow is 9.9gpm, but that's not really a usable spec is it?? The two systems can't be combined, right??

Correct, the steering pump cannot be counted here...5.6 is the number to use.

/ Wood splitter on a 790? #7  
I don't have the Power Beyond on mine. Anybody know what that would cost (approx.) installed? I'm thinking of being beside the tractor for easy access to the joy stick.

Not sure what the gpm's were on the 520, do know it had low pressure system. ~~ grnspot110

I have a power beyond on my 2009 3005 (renumbered 790) - essentially two hydraulic hoses coming out the back with no valve. They couple together when not in use for an implement. Had them put on by the dealer for $250when I bought it last December . Use the hydraulics it to run my Rankin ~20 ton splitter. It may not be fast enough for some, but boy is it effective!! :thumbsup:See some of my other posts for pictures.
Mf

Yup, about $250. The PB is the best way to operate the logsplitter.

/ Wood splitter on a 790? #8  
Yup, about $250. The PB is the best way to operate the logsplitter.

an elcheapo way if you have a fel is to use a set of those outlets

tie the stick back in the raise position but be sure you have a center open double action valve on the splitter

an elcheapo way if you have a fel is to use a set of those outlets

tie the stick back in the raise position but be sure you have a center open double action valve on the splitter

I've always used the control on the 520 by disconnecting the linkage from the hydraulic lever & flipping it over to a lever on the back of the tractor (in the closeup pic, the faded gray conduit w/white cap at center right). Thought I'd just set the 790 up so I can use the joystick & the bucket cylinder quick-connects. Might need to make an extension for the joystick. ~~ grnspot110

Next question! Is the "power beyond" a simple installation or should I have the dealer install? I do have "intermediate" mechanical skills. ~~ grnspot110