Wood Splitter With Fast Hitch

/ Wood Splitter With Fast Hitch #1  

Shaneard

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 4630, Two IH 140's, John Deere A
I traded for a Troy-Bilt Horse tiller years ago and it came with a wood splitter attachment. The wood splitter hasn't been used in some time, it is self contained all but the engine which is why you have to remove the tines and attach the wood splitter. I had a water pump with an 8HP Briggs & Stratton engine and decided to put the engine on the wood splitter instead of having to hook it to the tiller with is aggravating. I also decided to put a fast hitch prong on it to hook to the 140 making it quick and easy. I don't plan on splitting a bunch of wood since we heat with gas, the wood will be for the tractor rim laying in the yard we roast hotdogs and marshmallows with. I removed the plate for the reservoir tank so I can mount the engine then figure out where the tank needs to be.

IMG_0528.jpg
IMG_0529.jpg
IMG_0530.jpg
IMG_0531.jpg
IMG_0547.jpg
IMG_0548.jpg
IMG_0549.jpg
IMG_0550.jpg

/ Wood Splitter With Fast Hitch
Little portaband time and a lot of grinder time and the prong test fit is complete.
IMG_0564.jpg
IMG_0565.jpg
IMG_0566.jpg
IMG_0567.jpg
IMG_0568.jpg
IMG_0569.jpg

Got the hitch welded on. I left the flat stock sticking out both sides because I was going to brace it off each side. Then I decided to cut them off because the braces will be in the way of the power plant and I trust my welds that it won’t break apart. I decided to box in the upright piece to tie it all together and so I wouldn’t have somewhere for water to sit and create rust.

IMG_0590.jpg
IMG_0591.jpg
IMG_0593.jpg
IMG_0594.jpg
IMG_0595.jpg

/ Wood Splitter With Fast Hitch #4  
My brother-in-law had one of those Troy-Built Tillers with the Wood splitter attachment. He kept the splitter on it most of the time.

It was a great old design idea: multiple tool heads to fit on one engine, and the ability to motor it around as needed. I would not want to move it large distances that way, but it was perfect for his place.

Motor mount is done.
IMG_0620.jpg
IMG_0618.jpg
IMG_0616.jpg
IMG_0617.jpg

Started making engine to pump mount.
IMG_0637.jpg
IMG_0636.jpg
IMG_0635.jpg

Engine and pump are mounted. Carb rebuilt on engine and running good. Now to mount the hydraulic tank and give it a whirl.
IMG_0735.jpg
IMG_0736.jpg
IMG_0737.jpg
IMG_0738.jpg
IMG_0739.jpg
IMG_0740.jpg

Hydraulic tank mounted. Got to bring some clamps and hydraulic fluid in with me tomorrow and we’ll see what happens.
IMG_0745.jpg
IMG_0746.jpg
IMG_0747.jpg
IMG_0748.jpg