wood stoves

/ wood stoves #81  

MossRoad

Old Timer
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
Our stove is also in the basement with a straigh pipe up through the ceiling (4'), through the first floor (9'), through the attic (6') and out the roof (4') or approximately 23'. I can effectivey shut down a large blaze with just the air control on the stove fairly quickly. As I said, the manufacturer says NOT to install a damper and as someone else mentioned, I'm fairly certain it is now against code to intall a damper as well. And I'm not from Canada, I'm in Indiana (although I wouldn't mind being from Canada). Our stove is our primary heat 6 months of the year for the past 5 years. Its been down to 20 below 0F here and the stove has never run away.

/ wood stoves #82  

westcliffe01

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M4500DT, B200 backhoe
A masonry chimney runs much cooler and the cross section is usually also larger than either a liner or a class A pipe. I live in a township that enforces code and had to pull a permit for my install and it was inspected in some detail. There were no objections against a damper. Worst case scenario you just leave it wide open. But if you need it because of excess draft (the article explains why that happens) and you don't have it, one will be sorry for sure. And a secondary air type stove can be severely damaged in just a few days if it runs away on a full load of firewood (just as I experienced).

If one actually reads hearth.com during the heating season, there are many new stove buyers that do a lot of expensive (and not covered by warranty) damage to their new stoves every season for this exact same reason. The catalytic stoves do not need all the extra air and are far more controllable. But cost slightly more to buy usually.

/ wood stoves
OP
8N Ren

8N Ren

Gold Member
Tractor
8N Ford
Friday was install day, the Wife and I couldn't be happier with our choice, the living room finally looks complete. Thanks to everyone who participated in this thread.

stove 2.jpg stove 1.jpg

/ wood stoves
OP
8N Ren

8N Ren

Gold Member
Tractor
8N Ford
Thanks Egon, I think it was worth the wait. Really looking forward to cutting a chunk off the electric bill.

/ wood stoves
OP
8N Ren

8N Ren

Gold Member
Tractor
8N Ford
We had frost last night! WTF!
I lit that puppy up, third time actually, cause it needs a few season burns to get the stank out obviously. She got the house nice and toasty. Only downside to the stove is that I have to make sure I shut off the HRV, otherwise I get some major negative air pressure which in turn causes backpuffing into the house. I have someone coming next week to see if we can don anything about that.

/ wood stoves
OP
8N Ren

8N Ren

Gold Member
Tractor
8N Ford
We had frost last night! WTF!
I lit that puppy up, third time actually, cause it needs a few season burns to get the stank out obviously. She got the house nice and toasty. Only downside to the stove is that I have to make sure I shut off the HRV, otherwise I get some major negative air pressure which in turn causes backpuffing into the house. I have someone coming next week to see if we can don anything about that.