Wooden Fence Posts

/ Wooden Fence Posts #31  
You guys that use augers, do you concrete them in or tamp them?

my vote is to hire a local fencer to pound them in.

/ Wooden Fence Posts #32  
Also I’m tired of wooden posts. When i redo I’m going steel. Let the woodpeckers bite into them…

/ Wooden Fence Posts #33  
   / Wooden Fence Posts #34  
In Western Oregon, a project like this would likely entail topsoil and then CLAY. If you buy an auger you will find that drilling holes with a tractor mount or skid steer mount by yourself is less than desired. You will want a spotter. If you drill all these holes, you wil need to clean them out if you don't put your post in right away.

You could drill your corners and use a combination of wood posts and steel posts at diferent spacing. Example wood post every hundred feet, steel post every ten feet. Much depends on what your fencing is going to be. Pounding posts with a dedicated pounder can go very quickly. QUICKLY. Pound them in and voila done. Running around filling and tamping a million wood posts is a DRAG, man. More power to you if that's the way you wanna go.

Out here we don't concrete posts.They rot. And speaking of wood posts, you will find a great array of prices. They reflect wood material and method of treatment. There's a reason a wood post can cost half or twice the money of the cheapest. That's from my experience of putting up farm fence since the seventies.

Last edited:
   / Wooden Fence Posts #35  
You guys that use augers, do you concrete them in or tamp them?

my vote is to hire a local fencer to pound them in.

I don't know... Those guys don't appear to fence post savey to me....

1660261295289.png

/ Wooden Fence Posts #37  
The livestock panel rod shear pin setup on your PTO. It’s something I can’t visualize.
Just cut the + out at corners of each square with bolt cutters. Stick the rod through the drive shaft to gearbox shear pin location. Bend both ends with a hammer and go back to drilling holes. When it shears it don't matter that you bent the ends because it falls off anyway. Need a hammer to drive piece out of gearbox shaft sometimes. Just use next pin for a punch to knock it out. Imagine how many drills I did on fencing 80 acres of pipe fence for an oil company owner.

/ Wooden Fence Posts #38  
Imagine how many drills I did on fencing 80 acres of pipe fence for an oil company owner.
Pipe fence posts sounds very nice and expensive. My neighbor was complaining about his 80acre fence done with green fence post and 3 lines of wire.
Thanks for the reply. (y)

*might be unhappy because of 1 side needed to be done twice, 20’ inside his property line because of a forestry road right of way (easement?).
*sorry OP, nothing to do with wood posts...

Last edited:
   / Wooden Fence Posts #39  
Pipe fence posts sounds very nice and expensive. My neighbor was complaining about his 80acre fence done with green fence post and 3 lines of wire.
Thanks for the reply. (y)
Weld 5 pipes between posts around 80 acres. 3 strand? I do 5.