Woodland Mills WC68 on a Kioti CK2610 : is this a good fit for my tasks?

/ Woodland Mills WC68 on a Kioti CK2610 : is this a good fit for my tasks? #1  

mangler

Gold Member
Tractor
Sears G5500, Kioti CK2610
Lots of autumn olives to chip here, and would like to handle them as little as possible. Also a fair dollop of grape vines and wild roses. Some small garbage trees (poplar, summac) that I would like to uproot and get rid of to make way for real trees.

I could buy a lot of matches for 3k, but alas burning is not in the cards. So I am back looking for chippers, and floor space in the shop. To be fair we would really like some mulch, so at least I can get $100 a year's worth of mulch with the chipper.

I know I am a bit on the low side of power with the CK2610 (21 hp), but would rather have the larger chute for the occasional full knotty tree/bush, and go slower. I don't burn wood, so I also want to convert as much as possible into chips/mulch.

I would like to hear from current owners for my use case, especially those running it with 20hp at the pto. Comparisons with similar priced units also welcome. Since I will trying to save every chip for garden use, pics of trailer/container setups would also be helpful.

/ Woodland Mills WC68 on a Kioti CK2610 : is this a good fit for my tasks? #2  
I run my WC68 on Kubotas with 19 HP at the PTO. They (Kubotas) both run fine at 540 rpm. i do not try to run thru anything over 4 inches as a rule. Have chipped mostly dry dead cedar, but some pine and even some small brush trimmings. I'm happy with the performance........... have owned it only one year......have had no problems with the machine.

Cheers,
Mike

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 206
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 212
   / Woodland Mills WC68 on a Kioti CK2610 : is this a good fit for my tasks? #3  
Hi Mangler. I have a jd2520 (19pto hp) running a Wallenstein BXM32 chipper/shredder. I like the shredder throat for grapevines and green branches under 1”. I do burn firewood so anything larger than about 2” or 3” gets set aside for burning. This spring my next door neighbor had a tree split. The useable wood went to the pile and all of the branches/brush was chipped. I chip directly onto my utility trailer.

FrankIMG_0960.jpg
IMG_0978.jpg

/ Woodland Mills WC68 on a Kioti CK2610 : is this a good fit for my tasks? #4  
The nice thing with the WC68 will be the hydraulic infeed so if you do start to bog down you can slow the feed rate or stop it and 'milk' it in.
The larger opening is not just for 'firewood', twisted and crooked branches are far easier to coax through that 6x8 opening than a smaller opening! less chainsaw work!!!
I have a WC88 and could not imagine having a smaller opening for the nasty branches!

/ Woodland Mills WC68 on a Kioti CK2610 : is this a good fit for my tasks?
I wish I could go with the WC88, but the WC68 is already a stretch. With 64hp at the pto though, it would be a no brainer :laughing:

The slow feed really does not scare me though. I do not have that much to chip that a couple of minutes extra per "tree" will be a game changer. I do want that opening as large as possible. My current 5.5hp gas powered chipper will chip "up to 2" ", but anything 0.5" over that will not fit in the side feeder...

For current owners, how does the hydraulic feed fair with smaller stuff? My main concern is wild roses, I have a ton, and they seem to grow branches at 90deg. from the main stem. By far the biggest PITA to chip, they claw at the operator right to the bitter end. It would be nice to feed the base in and walk away, just wondering if the roller will self feed with 1/2" to 3/4" grape vines and roses.

Also, anyone running the WC88 on a smaller tractor? I have 21.8hp at the pto (for now...), but I feel like for an extra 400$, it would be nice to have the future proofing and larger opening on the WC88, even if I am limited to a feed of "1" on the dial.

/ Woodland Mills WC68 on a Kioti CK2610 : is this a good fit for my tasks? #7  
on the 88, i usually bunch up a handful of small stuff and it'll pull it through. every now and then you'll have to have a push stick to get the small stuff to 'bite' on the wheel. we don't have vines like you mention 'up here' or else i'd video it for ya!
small balsam branches will go through tho, with a push stick every now and then. your vines may wrap around the feed roller so keep an eye on that.
My only complaint about the unit, the speed control (flow control) must be rated for a lot more flow than it gets.... 0-3 does all the adjusting. 3-10 does nothing. you move that lever a smig and it changes the speed. It's not a big deal, just one of those things. after a few hours you'll have it figured out.
smaller branches just bend, some snap off and get sucked through... yep, get them started and walk away!
I doubt it'd be an issue but can your 3pt lift the weight of the 88?
send me a PM if you want more info.
I don't think you'll be disappointed with the chipper or your dealings with Woodland. Good 'hometown' people.

on the 88, i usually bunch up a handful of small stuff and it'll pull it through. every now and then you'll have to have a push stick to get the small stuff to 'bite' on the wheel. we don't have vines like you mention 'up here' or else i'd video it for ya!
small balsam branches will go through tho, with a push stick every now and then. your vines may wrap around the feed roller so keep an eye on that.
My only complaint about the unit, the speed control (flow control) must be rated for a lot more flow than it gets.... 0-3 does all the adjusting. 3-10 does nothing. you move that lever a smig and it changes the speed. It's not a big deal, just one of those things. after a few hours you'll have it figured out.
smaller branches just bend, some snap off and get sucked through... yep, get them started and walk away!
I doubt it'd be an issue but can your 3pt lift the weight of the 88?
send me a PM if you want more info.
I don't think you'll be disappointed with the chipper or your dealings with Woodland. Good 'hometown' people.

The CK2610 3pt is rated for 1631lbs. A beast given the HP of the tractor. The only question is can I get the WC88 to feed "slow enough" as to not bog down the tractor. I don't mind waiting, especially if the machine is doing all the work. :)

/ Woodland Mills WC68 on a Kioti CK2610 : is this a good fit for my tasks? #9  
I have mountains of wisteria vines that I run through my WC68. No problem - just wad them up and get them started and they'll pull the entire batch through without assistance. It'll do the same thing with briars, but dang it, I sure hate having to handle those. One has to do what one has to do though...

My toughest problem so far had been getting 5"-6" logs started through the chipper. Once it get a bite it's all over for the log. Sometimes I'll slice off the butt on the larger logs to make getting them started in the chipper a bit easier.

I've only had my Woodland Mills chipper about a year now, but I'm sure loving it. Nary a problem.

/ Woodland Mills WC68 on a Kioti CK2610 : is this a good fit for my tasks? #10  
Lots of autumn olives to chip here, and would like to handle them as little as possible. Also a fair dollop of grape vines and wild roses. Some small garbage trees (poplar, summac) that I would like to uproot and get rid of to make way for real trees.

I could buy a lot of matches for 3k, but alas burning is not in the cards. So I am back looking for chippers, and floor space in the shop. To be fair we would really like some mulch, so at least I can get $100 a year's worth of mulch with the chipper.

I know I am a bit on the low side of power with the CK2610 (21 hp), but would rather have the larger chute for the occasional full knotty tree/bush, and go slower. I don't burn wood, so I also want to convert as much as possible into chips/mulch.

I would like to hear from current owners for my use case, especially those running it with 20hp at the pto. Comparisons with similar priced units also welcome. Since I will trying to save every chip for garden use, pics of trailer/container setups would also be helpful.

Just curious if you went ahead and purchased a PTO chipper?

I have been running a S&R Pro Chip chipper with my Ford 1310 (19 HP engine!) since 1998 and have lately been checking out chippers with hydraulic feeder.
The S&R has a fixed speed mechanical feeder which works OK since we only chip 2" or smaller diameter branches and anything bigger is usually cut for firewood.

However adjustable speed feeder would be nice to have.

This is what I bought used back in 1998 and it has served us well:

S&R Pro Chip_Sales_Brochure_Page_1.jpg

S&R Pro Chip_Sales_Brochure_Page_2.jpg

Here is a photo from year 2000 with a teenage son feeding in Douglas Fir branches!

Summer 2000.jpg