Woodmizer lx25 sawmill

/ Woodmizer lx25 sawmill #1  

fruitcakesa

Veteran Member
Tractor
M6040 JD 450C
I am reaching out to you manual BSM l owners for feedback on this mill:
LX25 Portable Sawmill| Portable Sawmills & Wood Processing Equipment
I don't intend to do any production or for hire work. Just a few boards or timbers when I need some. I have the time and energy to do that.
I Have read most of the small sawmill related threads on TBN and other sites but have found no info from users.
Has anyone used one of these small manual mills?

/ Woodmizer lx25 sawmill #3  
I'm at the same point. I am also comparing the HM122 Portable Sawmill anniversary model

/ Woodmizer lx25 sawmill #4  
I'm looking at the low end Hud-Son models. They would have to forgo the funky paint job though.

/ Woodmizer lx25 sawmill
I just watched both the Woodmizer and Woodland Mill videos and to my eye the Woodland mill seems to be a better value and heavier construction.
The only drawback for me is the 22" maximum log diameter on the Woodland as I have a lot of large pines that exceed that.
I will check into some other brands for more comparisons.

/ Woodmizer lx25 sawmill #6  
I wouldn't want to tackle any bigger logs with that model of woodmizer...

SR

/ Woodmizer lx25 sawmill #7  
Couple things to consider to get the ducks in a row, how much mill can you afford that comes with extra blades, measure the trees that you want to saw into lumber, then get a mill that saws 4" bigger, then figure out how your going to load and turn the logs.........

/ Woodmizer lx25 sawmill #8  
Watching with interest.

For hobby work, does it make sense to use a chainsaw mill to take the first 2-3" off each side of a log for the few large logs we might encounter? That would reduce BSM capacity by 4-6". Kerf waste would not be a large factor and it would allow using a small mill. I realize it would be slow but I could see a small 18-20" bar saw set up for that use alone (and I have an extra saw). Much of the time wasted with a CS mill results from cutting wide boards, but the first cuts are not wide. Slabbing off the top few inches should help blade life as I assume most of the dirt and crap will in the outer slabs?

It looks like about an $800 savings in initial cost for a Woodland mill between a 22" and 26" log capacity and another jump of $1200 from 26-30".

/ Woodmizer lx25 sawmill
Couple things to consider to get the ducks in a row, how much mill can you afford that comes with extra blades, measure the trees that you want to saw into lumber, then get a mill that saws 4" bigger, then figure out how your going to load and turn the logs.........

I figured extra blades are part of the expense of mill owning, I can pick and choose my trees with mill size in mind and my M will do all the heavy lifting.

/ Woodmizer lx25 sawmill #10  
I'd think a chainsaw mill is one good option if one has a 70+cc saw for taking a few slabs off on big logs, it would reduce the the need for a big BSM which would reduce the cost a lot....