Woodmizer lx25 sawmill

fruitcakesa

Platinum Member
Tractor
M6040
I am reaching out to you manual BSM l owners for feedback on this mill:
LX25 Portable Sawmill| Portable Sawmills & Wood Processing Equipment
I don't intend to do any production or for hire work. Just a few boards or timbers when I need some. I have the time and energy to do that.
I Have read most of the small sawmill related threads on TBN and other sites but have found no info from users.
Has anyone used one of these small manual mills?

Rebeldad1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti Tractor, John Deere Mower,New Holland Mini Excavator
I'm at the same point. I am also comparing the HM122 Portable Sawmill anniversary model

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
I'm looking at the low end Hud-Son models. They would have to forgo the funky paint job though.

OP
F

fruitcakesa

Platinum Member
Tractor
M6040
I just watched both the Woodmizer and Woodland Mill videos and to my eye the Woodland mill seems to be a better value and heavier construction.
The only drawback for me is the 22" maximum log diameter on the Woodland as I have a lot of large pines that exceed that.
I will check into some other brands for more comparisons.

Sawyer Rob

Tractor
several brands
I wouldn't want to tackle any bigger logs with that model of woodmizer...

SR

Oldpath05

Tractor
none
Couple things to consider to get the ducks in a row, how much mill can you afford that comes with extra blades, measure the trees that you want to saw into lumber, then get a mill that saws 4" bigger, then figure out how your going to load and turn the logs.........

shooterdon

Veteran Member
Near Johannesburg MI but in the middle of nowhere
Tractor
LS XR4140 HST Cab
Watching with interest.

For hobby work, does it make sense to use a chainsaw mill to take the first 2-3" off each side of a log for the few large logs we might encounter? That would reduce BSM capacity by 4-6". Kerf waste would not be a large factor and it would allow using a small mill. I realize it would be slow but I could see a small 18-20" bar saw set up for that use alone (and I have an extra saw). Much of the time wasted with a CS mill results from cutting wide boards, but the first cuts are not wide. Slabbing off the top few inches should help blade life as I assume most of the dirt and crap will in the outer slabs?

It looks like about an $800 savings in initial cost for a Woodland mill between a 22" and 26" log capacity and another jump of $1200 from 26-30".

OP
F

fruitcakesa

Platinum Member
Tractor
M6040
Couple things to consider to get the ducks in a row, how much mill can you afford that comes with extra blades, measure the trees that you want to saw into lumber, then get a mill that saws 4" bigger, then figure out how your going to load and turn the logs.........

I figured extra blades are part of the expense of mill owning, I can pick and choose my trees with mill size in mind and my M will do all the heavy lifting.

Oldpath05

Tractor
none
I'd think a chainsaw mill is one good option if one has a 70+cc saw for taking a few slabs off on big logs, it would reduce the the need for a big BSM which would reduce the cost a lot....