Woods BB840X bush hog

/ Woods BB840X bush hog #1  

TJ303

Tractor
New Holland Boomer 55
I have a New Holland Boomer 55 hydrostatic with cab, engine is 55hp with 45hp at pto. Same as a LS 4155.
There is a lightly used Woods BB840X for sale for $3,000.
Is this bush hog too big for my tractor? It weighs 1200 lbs.
Should go with a 6 footer? Or a less heavy bush hog?
I mow 20 acres once a year. Mostly tall grass and goldenrod. I like to grind up multiflora rose and reclaim overgrown fields. Located in central New York State.

Thanks,
TJ

/ Woods BB840X bush hog #2  
8' might be pushing it a bit if you're going at over-grown stuff. From all the discussions I've read people don't much like single-spindle RCs over 6' (or 7'?). Maybe the previous owner of this unit came to the same conclusion? The price is pretty good, and perhaps this is why?

I've run light duty RCs through some really ugly conditions, which has convinced me that anything more than a medium duty is likely more than 99% of folks probably need: read through actual specs and you'll understand- heavy duty stuff is rated 3" to 4" material and I wouldn't want to be cutting up stuff that big on any regular basis!

My Kioti runs my Bush Hog BH26 (6') well. It's a medium duty unit (which was VERY-well used commercially by previous owner) and it's been more than capable of dealing with everything I have: my Reed Canary grass can grow up to about 10'! Also have lots of woody debris. I'm now running a 7' flail for the majority of my mowing (some areas I can't get to before the grass gets too tall for the flail- the RC gets the calls). The flail weighs 1,200 lbs. My RC is somewhere around 1,000 lbs (it's got an extra steel plate welded on top of the deck). Note, however, most of the time the weight is on the ground, and is therefor of little concern: raising and traveling with weight, however, IS something to keep in mind.

If the tractor and cutter aren't living full-time at the site then you'll need to consider how it will be transported. Larger diameter RCs mean a longer implement: will it fit on the trailer? That BB840X is listed at 128" in overall length- WOW!

/ Woods BB840X bush hog #3  
I don't think the weight would be problem. The size might be. a 7' single spindle is large mower.
Woods is good brand. I do like their blade retaining system.