Woods BH9000 on the small Grand L's

/ Woods BH9000 on the small Grand L's #1  

design

Silver Member
Tractor
M5400
Today I picked up a 6 year old BH9000 for a good price. There is no sub-frame offered for a Grand L2900 for that hoe. Woods sells a 4 point frame for the 3130 and a sub-frame for the 3010 which are newer versions of the 2900.
Other woods options include: a sub-frame for the 9000 on a L3600/4200 (not a 4 point): a sub frame for the BH7500 for the L2900.

After reviewing what sub-frames were available and having some feedback under the "Bobcat Backhoe on a Grand L series" Thread.

I have concluded a custom frame is the way to go.

At this point I am planning to install the BH on the 2900 with a custom frame built over this winter. I am looking for any input.

Several questions:
1. What is the easiest way to purge the BH of hydraulic fluid as I can use the Kubota UDT?

2. Are there good/bad ideas for the sub-frame?

Design

/ Woods BH9000 on the small Grand L's #2  
You might check with Rhino; I have a Rhino 85 sub-frame BH on my L5030, and the sub frame is well engineered.

They might have a sub-frame that would fit your tractor, which is more than like the hardest match-up. The terminal (BH) end of the Rhino sub-frame looks like it could accomodate other hook-ups.

BTW, the Rhino BH's are also what are used as OEM BH's by New Holland.

/ Woods BH9000 on the small Grand L's #3  
The chassis will definitely need a subframe for a hoe that size hanging off the back. The subframes from the newer model might be close but will still need some modifications. It will be important to tie it to the chassis as well as the loader frame. I'd not worry about the oil in the hoe to much as if the lines are able to drain and you wait till you use the hoe save a transmission oil and filter change for after hook up. If the oil that you do see while installing is reaelly milky then the best you might be able to do would be to loosen the hoses and allow it to drain that way. It must use the tractor hydraulic system instead of a PTO pump but even those systems are tough to drain.

/ Woods BH9000 on the small Grand L's #4  
design said:
Today I picked up a 6 year old BH9000 for a good price. There is no sub-frame offered for a Grand L2900 for that hoe. Woods sells a 4 point frame for the 3130 and a sub-frame for the 3010 which are newer versions of the 2900.
Other woods options include: a sub-frame for the 9000 on a L3600/4200 (not a 4 point): a sub frame for the BH7500 for the L2900.

After reviewing what sub-frames were available and having some feedback under the "Bobcat Backhoe on a Grand L series" Thread.

I have concluded a custom frame is the way to go.

At this point I am planning to install the BH on the 2900 with a custom frame built over this winter. I am looking for any input.

Several questions:
1. What is the easiest way to purge the BH of hydraulic fluid as I can use the Kubota UDT?

2. Are there good/bad ideas for the sub-frame?

Design

There is no "clean and easy" way to purge a hoe. Sorry! Best thing is to undo the lines to the cylinders and move the arms so the pistons go from end to end. The fluid will shoot out everywhere, so setting the hoses into a 5 gal bucket would be smart. Don't expect the cylinders to move easily. If they do, you may need to rebuild. Not now, but you may want to think about it for later.

You will need to change your filters after hooking up the hoe and operating it for a while. Air in the cylinders is not a problem. Just go full in to full out a couple times and your done. But keep the fluid level in the tractor up.

Ideas for subframe. Just general ones. Try and put the hoe as close to the tractor as you can. Higher is better than lower. What you loose in leveling potential you more than make up in clearance. Make the sub-frame as stiff as you can and independant of the tractor for stiffness. If there is much noticable bending, it will quickly crack. That's not gonna happen, but you may want to think about it like that. Be aware of service points and don't bury them. Also, think about how much dirt will collect on it and how it will clean off - hidden dirt becomes hidden rust.

jb

/ Woods BH9000 on the small Grand L's
I am looking for feedback from 3130 and 3430 owners who have this hoe. The BH9000 is in the garage, but getting a subframe may take some time. Building my own seems to make the most sense (cents).

If someone who owns this set up can post photos of the side view of the tractor with the BH and several shots of the subframe it would be great. If the photos are too large, I can give you a email address or FTP site to use.

I have spoken with Woods and they do make a 3 point (old style) subframe which works with the L2900, L3300, L3010 and a bunch of larger tractors.

I really like the 4 point design and would rather build one.

Also is the backhoe to close or to far from the rear of the tractor. I would like to create a setup that is a close fit like the B21/L35/L39. If the seat needs to be modified, I am willing to do that.

Design