Woods RD990-X Finish Mower

/ Woods RD990-X Finish Mower #1  

gatorguy7

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD, Kubota, Ford
I picked up a new 990-X mower this week! There are a few threads talking about them but no reviews. I thought I would create a thread with some thorough feedback in case any one else out there is looking at one. I went with this mower for a few reasons - swing blades, higher HP rating, cutting height. I'm using a 70hp Kubota so most finish mowers cannot handle that much power. I'm mowing horse pastures and road sides around my home. I've been doing it with a zero turn mower but if I don't do it every week its easy to get bogged down with a zero turn mower.

Here's a few pictures of the day I brought it home. I'm hoping to break it in this weekend. That's one of the perks of living in Florida - pasture are growing on March 1! lol More details to come

IMG_6284.JPGIMG_6283.JPGIMG_6278.JPG

/ Woods RD990-X Finish Mower #2  
Well I’ll be! I didn’t realize you could get what essentially amounts to a rotary cutter in a finish mower layout (4 wheels). Mind revealing price you paid?

I have a 55hp and would love the PRD8400 for our 8 acres, but dang the $$$ they want for that thing! I cringe thinking what yours cost. Thx for sharing. Interested to see how it works for you!

/ Woods RD990-X Finish Mower #3  
The RD990 is probably the finest country finish mower made and when you're done mowing it looks like a lawn crew did it. You can mow as fast as you can hang on.

/ Woods RD990-X Finish Mower #4  
The RD990 is probably the finest country finish mower made and when you're done mowing it looks like a lawn crew did it. You can mow as fast as you can hang on.

Probably is the best one made today. But the RM990 that preceded it was a more robustly built machine.

/ Woods RD990-X Finish Mower #5  
Well I値l be! I didn稚 realize you could get what essentially amounts to a rotary cutter in a finish mower layout (4 wheels). .............................................

Here's a bottom view. My BIL test drove this one. He bought one just like it in orange to match his L4740.

Attachments

• IMG_1450.JPG
    IMG_1450.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 183
   / Woods RD990-X Finish Mower #6  
Probably is the best one made today. But the RM990 that preceded it was a more robustly built machine.

I still have a 13yo RM990 and its the BEST mower i've ever owned. As long as I can get parts I will be happy!

/ Woods RD990-X Finish Mower #7  
Hey a couple of quick question for you guys who use these two Woods 90” finish mower how do they handle the roughness of a pasture do the wheels/mounts get damaged or bent?

Also are you using the gauge wheels or a check chain or the 3 point to set the cut height?

What I like about them is that they can be set to cut at about 8” high and I like to cut our pastures at that height.

Last edited:
   / Woods RD990-X Finish Mower
Well I’ll be! I didn’t realize you could get what essentially amounts to a rotary cutter in a finish mower layout (4 wheels). Mind revealing price you paid?

I have a 55hp and would love the PRD8400 for our 8 acres, but dang the $$$ they want for that thing! I cringe thinking what yours cost. Thx for sharing. Interested to see how it works for you!

It was $5,200 plus dealer fee of $198. The Woods and the Landpride 3690 were both ~$5,000. My local Landpride dealers all said 8 week wait once they received a deposit. The Woods dealer was 2 hours away but he had several in stock ready to go with 0% financing. I know there have been a few comments about the latest 990 being of lesser quality but I sure can't any shortfalls by looking at it.

Hey a couple of quick question for you guys who use these two Woods 90” finish mower how do they handle the roughness of a pasture do the wheels/mounts get damaged or bent?

Also are you using the gauge wheels or a check chain or the 3 point to set the cut height?

What I like about them is that they can be set to cut at about 8” high.

I haven't seen any complaints about the casters except the pin on top of the caster coming off releasing the caster and all of the spacers. As for the mowing height, that is set by the spacers on the casters. The 3 point hitch is just pulling it around, not setting the cut height.

/ Woods RD990-X Finish Mower #9  
As strictly a backup for a Zero Turn do you think 28 PTO HP would be enough to run a RM90-2? Grass only and probably never above ankle high.

Asking because there's one for sale locally for cheap that doesn't look bad for its age.

/ Woods RD990-X Finish Mower #10  
My well used RM990 didn’t have front casters when I acquired it. I ran it on check chains for a year then put front casters on it that winter. It follows the ground much better.