Woods SB60 Snowblower throwing chain

/ Woods SB60 Snowblower throwing chain #1  

jgriffith8

Tractor
Kubota L3901
Wondering if anybody has an Woods SB60 that might know what might be wrong here? I bought the machine used last summer and it's been great until today when apparently there was a block of ice up in the drive gear. I took the shield off, cleaned out the ice and put the chain back on but it seems to be rough, I tried adjusting a bit and fired it up to have it shortly pop the chain again. Wondering if something is bent (don't see anything visibly) or if I'm just not putting the thing back together and adjusting the tension correctly? I'm assuming the chain runs from the auger, under the tensioner gear to then up around the main drive gear?

Only thing I can figure is the sprocket on the auger itself isn't lined up quite right? Maybe when the chain popped and got sucked down between it an the housing it pushed it out? Not sure how to adjust that or check it but when the suns out tomorrow maybe I can give it a try (and hope to get it all back together properly :) ).

/ Woods SB60 Snowblower throwing chain #2  
I have an old Alloway - Woods SB52 and the chain on that goes under the idler like and around gears like you describe. On mine their is shear bolt on drive sprocket that if partially sheared could allow the drive gear to wobble. I would pull the shield and spin things by hand to see if one of the sprockets is out of alignment or tightener bracket got bent so it is out if alignment. On mine the bracket is kind of flimsy so if sudden shock from ice on gears it could be bent.

/ Woods SB60 Snowblower throwing chain #3  
Mine isn't a Woods but my chain is happiest when it has a little slack in it and lots of oil. I gave it a squirt of oil every time I used it.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Woods SB60 Snowblower throwing chain
@oldnslo thanks for the info on the chain routing. Taking another look at things before dinner it turns out that my bolt did shear but it looks like a piece of it may be wedged between the gear and the plate, there's a slight gap there. I pulled the ends off and will try and drill things out tomorrow and hopefully remember how to get it all back together (should've taken a picture). @bigtiller I'll try leaving a little slack this time if/when I get it all back together, thanks for the advice.

/ Woods SB60 Snowblower throwing chain #5  
What sheered off? There should be a sheer bolt for that auger chain. Also make sure all your gears are in align with a straight edge.

@nyone the sheer bolt on the shear sprocket, bolt is gone from both ends but still bound up so I'm assuming a piece of the bolt is still in there with just enough friction between the plates to keep things moving. Things are definitely not aligned correctly, when I turn by hand there are spots where I'm getting vibration and rubbing noise. Hoping to get it inside the garage today to thaw out and have a closer look at things.

/ Woods SB60 Snowblower throwing chain #7  
Sometimes the metal where the idler gear mounts gets bent so it doesn't run true anymore. Just remove the gear/chain and straighten the mounting area.

Looks like the chunk of ice (or something) actually damaged the shear sprocket, it has a slight bend in it and that's what's causing the chaing to throw still. After taking it apart it also appears that I've ruined that sprocket as the two pieces no longer move independently (shear bolt is completely removed). Going to try and get the bearings off and see about picking up a new sprocket, hoping the shaft itself isn't bent as well. Anyway, thanks everyone for the advice and input. Hard to believe this was caused by ice, but I didn't hear/feel anything, but a block of ice going through the chain drive certainly isn't ideal.

/ Woods SB60 Snowblower throwing chain #9  
Years ago I had a snow blower - the Blue Machine. Out of the clear blue it began throwing the chain. Inspection revealed that the "great something" had bent one of the chain sprockets. Replacing the bent sprocket solved the problem.

/ Woods SB60 Snowblower throwing chain #10  
Double ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!, this is all the more reason to use #80H chain even on the small snow blowers.