Woody plant control

/ Woody plant control #1  

TheMan419

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer 24
We have a non irrigation ditch on our property. I壇 like to control weeds and woody growth on it. Of course I want to leave grass for both looks and erosion control.

It looks like Triclopyr is an option. Is this correct? Also what other options are there?

Currently it is a woody bramble mess. I would like to spray it in the spring. Depending on need then plant grass seed to help the grasses take over.

What other things do I need to plan for?

I have a 3 point sprayer so application is not an issue. Since this is a non commercial application it appears indiana does not require me to have a license.

Thanks for any other ideas!

/ Woody plant control #2  
I bought Remedy from the co-op that is suppose to Kill /control woody plants. I haven't used it yet so I can't speak to it's effectiveness in killing them

/ Woody plant control #3  
Triclopyr does well if you spray it right and on the right plants. It only really works if you spray while plants are actively growing. The faster they're growing the better it works. It does not penetrate well on many plants with waxy leaves. For an herbicide it's relatively non toxic and breaks down in the soil faster than many. Unfortunately the best time to spray would be after you should already have the grass seed in and growing. But you could sow the seed earlier, let it grow under the woody stuff, then after the triclopyr knocks back the woody stuff the grass will be released. It takes about 3-4 weeks for Triclopyr to kill plants. If the growing season is short that may eat up a lot of it. Here all the rain falls in the winter and spring, so the grass stops growing in the summer and turns brown.

If you can get to it with a mechanical means like a brush cutter or mower of some sort, that can also reduce woody plants and favor grass if you mow at the right times. You knock back the woody plants in the spring and allow the faster growing grasses to get above and shade them. It's not as effective and it's more work but you're not spraying poison on your land.

/ Woody plant control #4  
I bought Remedy from the co-op that is suppose to Kill /control woody plants. I haven't used it yet so I can't speak to it's effectiveness in killing them

Remedy is 100% Triclopyr.

We have a non irrigation ditch on our property. Currently it is a woody bramble mess. I'd like to control weeds and woody growth on it. I want to leave grass for both looks and erosion control.

I would like to spray in the spring, then plant grass seed to help the grasses take over.

I suggest Agri Star "Crossroad" herbicide from Rural King or Crossbow herbicide. Both have identical formula:

Triclopyr BEE---------16.5%

2,4-D -----------------34.4%

Inert Ingredients-----49.1%

Also good, Gordon's Brush Killer, from Tractor Supply Company:

GORDON'S BRUSH KILLER
One Gallon - Makes up to 64 gallons of spray solution.

I use 3 ounces per gallon of water = 42.6 gallons of spray solution.

Triclopyr~~~~7.81%

2,4-D~~~~~16.49%

Dicamba ~~~1.38%

Inert~~~~~73.2%

One gallon concentrate $49.99.

Formula for Gordon's Brush Killer changes from time to time.

All three brands are most effective when target weed material is actively growing. It takes ~~~three weeks~~~ for kill to be apparent.

If you mix and apply according to directions (no stronger) you should not need to seed additional grass.

After use, bathe and change clothes. Do not work in same clothes after spraying. Potent stuff.

Last edited:
   / Woody plant control #5  
Remedy is 100% Triclopyr.

I suggest Agri Star "Crossroad" herbicide from Rural King or Crossbow herbicide. Both have identical formula:

Triclopyr BEE---------16.5%

2,4-D -----------------34.4%

Inert Ingredients-----49.1%

Also good, Gordon's Brush Killer, from Tractor Supply Company:

GORDON'S BRUSH KILLER
One Gallon - Makes up to 64 gallons of spray solution.

I use 3 ounces per gallon of water = 42.6 gallons of spray solution.

Triclopyr~~~~7.81%

2,4-D~~~~~16.49%

Dicamba ~~~1.38%

Inert~~~~~73.2%

One gallon concentrate $49.99.

Formula for Gordon's Brush Killer changes from time to time.

All three brands are most effective when target weed material is actively growing.

Good to know, I bought it last week and haven't read what it actually is.
Wonder if it comes under a different name cheaper ? I believe I paid a little over $100.00 for Redemy

/ Woody plant control #6  
Possibly, but not that I know of.

100% Triclopyr can be difficult to dilute in some water. Read the dilution directions carefully.

In my opinion all of this stuff contributes to cancer potential in general and blood cancer potential (leukemia) especially, IF NOT USED CAREFULLY.

After use, bathe and change clothes. Do not work in same clothes after spraying. Dangerous stuff.

I would not use Remedy as a general purpose herbicide. I would only resort to Remedy if less potent herbicides applied according to directions failed.

Last edited:
   / Woody plant control #7  
well, cancer is probably going to get the majority of us in one way or the other anyway.
so I really don't worry about it too much

/ Woody plant control #8  
OK. But sustaining you in recurring chemo cancer treatment will probably destroy the finances of your entire family.

well, do you happen to know what the food (that you eat) is sprayed with that comes from all over the world ?
Probably worse than anything we spray with here

Probably won't hurt their finances too bad. They have plenty of money. My yearly out of pocket for health care is 7k

/ Woody plant control #9  
I use a crystallised herbicide called "Metsulfuron 600" by a company called 'Titan AG'. The active ingredient listed is 600 g/kg metsulfuron methyl.

I use it at 10g/100ltr concentration [1.5g/15ltr backpack sprayer] to kill bracken, a woody weed that I'm sure that you have in NA... the bloody stuff is ubiquitous.

The product was recommended by an agricultural store and I've used it. It works as advertised. There's a thick booklet that comes with it with mixing amounts to water pertaining to different plants (including the Latin name) plus recommendations on when to apply.

/ Woody plant control
Thanks Jeff! I had not seen Gordon痴 brush killer at tsc. I値l give it a look.

As for safety I always change after spraying chemicals. I am trying to move away from as many as I can. However this is the ditch bank and I cannot get the brush hog over it.

I just do not want to completely denude it of plant material like round up would. I壇 like to keep the grass for looks and erosion control.

I will start with Gordons and move to a higher concentration if that does not work.

Things will start growing in earnest here in about 45 days or so.