Working around handicaps

/ Working around handicaps #1  

texbaylea

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130HST w/LA723 loader
I have chosen to use two canes to get around, much faster, rather than a walker an expect to have to for a while. This is the result of breaking my hip and two bad knees. The result is that it is almost impossible to hand carry things.

After many searches I found a 5.11 PUSH (Practical Utility Shoulder Hold-All). It is a bit larger than I was looking for but works great. I can carry the mail, small packages, the newspaper including Sunday, etc. It has a plethora of zipper pockets, web straps, velcro. Two side extender pockets can hold water bottles. It even has one zipper pocket with velcro to attach a concealed carry holster if you wish.

I am posting this here as I realized that it would be useful for anyone doing tractor work in remote locations. It would carry most all of the small tools, drinks, cell phone, etc you might need and would not be difficult to lash to a ROPS.

I got mine from Shop Shooting Supplies | Reloading | Gunsmithing | Hunting gear — MidwayUSA and should you want a NRA logo on it you can get from the NRA store. Also from other sporting goods and tactical supply stores.

Vernon

/ Working around handicaps #2  
Vernon,

Sorry to hear about your setback. I worked most of my career designing and building artificial joints and their instrumentation. The long term results on those things are looking pretty good. Have you seen an orthopeadist?

John

/ Working around handicaps
Vernon,

Sorry to hear about your setback. I worked most of my career designing and building artificial joints and their instrumentation. The long term results on those things are looking pretty good. Have you seen an orthopeadist?

John

I have posted about this elsewhere but the background is this: I have used a single cane for several years due to muscle weakness in my right leg from never imparement. Then recently I was stupid enough to fall and break off the head of the femur on the left side. A hemiarthroplasty to replace the head followed. Hence the move to two canes.

I am planning for a knee replacement of the left knee soon. The right knee will follow some time after that. I have talked to my orthopeadist about the knee replacements during my follow ups for the hip surgery.

I can now get by now with a single cane for short distances but I am much safer using two. Eventually I will be able to go back to a single cane all the time.

Thanks for the interest.

Vernon

Last edited: