Workmaster 35, fuel gauge stuck?

/ Workmaster 35, fuel gauge stuck? #1  

BoneDigger

Bronze Member
Tractor
2015 New Holland Workmast 35
The tank is full but the gauge is showing just above empty. When the tractor is off the gauge drops to E, then comes up just a little when on. Do these have a float that can stick? If so, how do you unstick it? If it is a sensor, where is it located?

Ideas?

/ Workmaster 35, fuel gauge stuck? #2  

Jerry/MT

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland TD95D, Ford 4610 & Kubota M4500
The tank is full but the gauge is showing just above empty. When the tractor is off the gauge drops to E, then comes up just a little when on. Do these have a float that can stick? If so, how do you unstick it? If it is a sensor, where is it located?

Ideas?
Sounds like a problem with the sending unit in the tank. Since the gauge moves a bit, that would indicate the electrical circuit is operating. There could also be high resistance in the wire to the gauge. Take the wire off the sending unit connection and momentarily touch it to a good ground. If the gauge goes full scale that end of the circuit should be good and the problem is in the sending unit. If it doesn't go full scale you have a problem in the wiring going to the gauge.

/ Workmaster 35, fuel gauge stuck? #3  

LS Tractor Owner

Tractor
LS XG3025 TLB, Previously MT125 TLB, Craftsman GTS6500
The fuel level sensor is bolted into the tank itself. Usually a plate a few inches across with wires coming out of it. It can be taken out and checked with an Ohm meter. I'm not sure of the resistance numbers.

/ Workmaster 35, fuel gauge stuck? #4  

MiserableOldFart

Gold Member
Tractor
NH Workmaster 40, Kubota GR2120
Gauge moving a bit does indicate that there is a circuit, but I'd still be sure. On my TC26D mice ate thru one of the wires behind the instrument panel and that killed my gauge until I put it back together. I was elated because the sensor is an expensive item.

/ Workmaster 35, fuel gauge stuck?
OP
BoneDigger

BoneDigger

Bronze Member
Tractor
2015 New Holland Workmast 35
Thanks everyone. It ended up being the sending unit. I replaced it and it's working fine now.

/ Workmaster 35, fuel gauge stuck? #6  

LS Tractor Owner

Tractor
LS XG3025 TLB, Previously MT125 TLB, Craftsman GTS6500
Thanks for the update!