Workmaster/CASE IH Farmall A de-rates to 1500 rpm with no fault codes displayed

/ Workmaster/CASE IH Farmall A de-rates to 1500 rpm with no fault codes displayed #1  

klancf51

Silver Member
Tractor
CASE IH, Massey Ferguson, Ford
When running a Workmaster/CASE IH Farmall A series tractor (FPT 2.2L diesel engine), the tractor suddenly de-rates to 1500 rpm with no fault codes displayed.

CASE IH published a Knowledge Article in Jun-2018 titled "Tractor de-rates to 1500 rpm with no fault codes displayed". This Knowledge Article addresses this issue as well as another where the tractor de-rates to 1500 rpm with fault codes displayed. This thread is intended to share the information I was able to learn about this issue and the current resolution:

Symptom
Tractor de-rates to 1500 rpm with any of the following symptoms:
  • Tractor de-rates to 1500 rpm with no fault codes displayed
  • Tractor de-rates to 1500 rpm with fault codes 14016, 3003 and 3127 displayed
Cause
The tractors can go into de-rate mode if the controllers encounter any abnormal signals which it considers harmful to the system.

Resolution
CNH Industrial is aware of concerns where the unit experiences an engine de-rate to 1500 rpm with no fault codes displayed in the Analogue Digital Instrument Cluster (ADIC). There are two resolution scenarios:

1. Tractor de-rates to 1500 rpm with no fault codes displayed
Follow the procedure to rule out the de-rate concern due to low voltage in the system.
If the issue continues, verify the ADIC software installed on the unit, and if it is 2.00.00, recommend installing software version 3.00.00. This software has been added to the Electronic Service Tool (EST) with the release of EST version 8.9.0.0.
This will correct the issue in the software causing the ADIC to lose connection with the ECU, causing a loss of throttle control.

2. Tractor de-rates to 1500 rpm with fault codes 14016, 3003 and 3127 displayed
Engine can also go into de-rate mode with error codes 14016, 3003, and 3127 displayed. These error codes are triggered if there is low voltage observed by the controllers during cranking of the engine or during normal operation of the vehicle.
a. Check for fault codes stored in the engine controller. Connect the Electronic Service Tool (EST) and enter the EASY engine tool, located in the "Additional Tools" tab.
b. Report any codes found in the engine controller through the ASiST Technical Help Desk (THD) and provide a short video of the issue, if possible, with a description of the operations being performed at the time of failure.
c. Check the battery health and charge battery on bench as per normal slow charging procedure. Re-install battery on tractor and verify correct unit operation.
d. Recommend checking the battery terminals, the ring connectors on the starter posts, and ground points. Clean all paint and corrosion away from all connection points. Inspect the crimps on each ring terminal to ensure that the terminals are making good contact with the conductors.​
Ensure that the operators for these tractors are running the tractors long enough for proper charging of the battery. This will ensure battery life and good operation during engine startup.

Draw on the battery should be measured in amps. To measure the key OFF draw, set the multi-meter to amps. Remove the positive battery cable and connect the multi-meter leads between the battery post and the clamp. The battery draw with the key OFF is between 6 and 7 milliamps.

Note:
Fault CodeDescription
3003Accelerator Pedal Signal - SOURCE LOW.
3127Hand Throttle potentiometer 1 Low error.
14016The ADIC 5 volt reference voltage is too high (> 6 volts).

Last edited:
   / Workmaster/CASE IH Farmall A de-rates to 1500 rpm with no fault codes displayed #2  
The joys of computers on tractors.

/ Workmaster/CASE IH Farmall A de-rates to 1500 rpm with no fault codes displayed #3  
The joys of computers on tractors.

A blessing and a curse! It's one of the things that scares me about buying a new tractor. The old Ford has never had an ECU issue!

/ Workmaster/CASE IH Farmall A de-rates to 1500 rpm with no fault codes displayed #4  
As a former NH branch manager, I have seen this happen a couple of times. Usually relates to electrical supply issue (corroded or loose connection, possibly bad alternator). Once we had a brand new tractor about to go out for delivery and suddenly started with fluctuating RPMs (high, low, then settle low for a while, then ramp up randomly, all without any operator input). It had never exhibited this while running it around on the dealer yard. First we replaced the fuel filter as a precaution, without remedy. Found alternator wire was loose and missing the nut, so replaced that, same problem. Turns out it was a faulty throttle lever. The lever is attached to a potentiometer which governs the fuel delivery (all by wire, no cable). When we checked voltage output on the throttle with the computer, found it erratic. Replaced the throttle lever and issue went away.

Computers are nice, but on a compact tractor I'd rather have mechanical controls. The software from Shibaura to read the engine codes on Workmater 33/37, etc. is $800 for a three year license. Then the newer LS-powered tractors have another software the dealer has to buy which is a little less expensive, but costly nonetheless. These are all in addition to the $4000 laptop required from New Holland to read codes, plus a monthly service fee the dealer pays to CNH for access to technical resources. I could go on, but the point is it takes a lot of investment up front to be a dealer and offer an acceptable level of service to our customers.

/ Workmaster/CASE IH Farmall A de-rates to 1500 rpm with no fault codes displayed #5  
Computers, most solenoids, proportional controls, relays, plastic body work, most hall effect sensors and such do not belong on tractors of any kind. I guess some kid engineer thinks they are cool. I don't.

Did anyone know there are usually ZERO two wheel drive, open platform Case IH JX80 tractors for sale on Tractorhouse? All push-pull cables or mechanical linkages, no DEF, no computer (maybe some chips in the dash), two wheel drive and very little else to go wrong. in 16 years I have only done routine maintenance, replaced the PTO clutch cable when it was new for a failed end and replaced the fuel water separator because it got a pinhole in it and sucked air. Rides better than any machine on the place, great hitch lift capacity, nimble and sure footed and sips diesel (no turbo), great visibility. Just a good, simple, well balanced tractor that needs more front weights than I have on it. Wish i had bought two of them.

I was looking at one of the new Massey Friggersons. It has a "feature" that will return you to the engine RPM and gear you were using before you downshifted. I spent all day on the tractor today and never once wished I could return to RPM and gear at the touch of a button. I did wish for a smoother ride and a lot of dead and decayed gophers and moles though. Can they buid a tractor that will get rid of those at the touch of a button?

/ Workmaster/CASE IH Farmall A de-rates to 1500 rpm with no fault codes displayed #6  
Sure enough, they're all MFWD.