Would a Switch to sisal twine invite problems?

/ Would a Switch to sisal twine invite problems? #1  

jmhinpa

Tractor
NH 75 Workmaster
Hi, I’m new to baling hay (always worked the pick up crew side of things in previous baling experiences) and to this group. Bought a NH 565 baler from a reputable dealer of used equipment, who told me to use only 9600-170 poly twine. I really dislike the poly twine as it ends up everywhere and doesn’t degrade well. Point well taken in previous thread on this site that many buyers don’t want poly twine. Found some Lincoln 9000-190 sisal twine online. What issues might I encounter if I switch to sisal? Would I need to make adjustments to baler settings? Is it that big of a difference in performance? The seller probably won’t support the baler if I switch and I know nothing about troubleshooting. Have manual , reading. If anyone has advice, please share.

/ Would a Switch to sisal twine invite problems? #2  
Hi. I like plastic and that's what I use. However, it's just personal preference. If you want to use sisal, I'd bet that your baler will tie it and not miss a beat. Buy a couple balls and try it. You won't damage anything. And I don't think you'll need to adjust anything either.

Just my 2 cents . . . Good luck with it.

/ Would a Switch to sisal twine invite problems? #3  
I meant to ask, doesn't TSC and Rural King carry sisal string? I haven't noticed because I wasn't looking for it, but they always have plastic. Just assumed they'd carry sisal too.

Just answered my own question. They both carry it. Don't know why you'd want to order it online. Buy a couple balls and try it out.

Last edited:
   / Would a Switch to sisal twine invite problems? #4  
A square baler set up for poly (multiple twine disc segments and hardened bill hooks will run sisal no issue) but a baler set up for sisal only won't run poly or maybe I should say for a while until the poly wears the bill hooks and twine discs out and then it won't tie reliably any more.

Just sold my 575 wide pickup small square baler as I quit using it a few years ago. No point in keeping it in the barn sitting. Just run rounds now.

Always considered NH small square balers to be the ultimate in small square balers. Why I bought one (new) in the first place. Getting too old and finding help to handle them was an issue. Rounds, on the other hand require minimal labor as I can do every thing from cutting to tedding to raking to bailing, myself and in net, spoilage is minimal, even if stored outside, under hay tarps. Don't even need as barn to keep them in, unlike squares that need indoor storage. Not that I store very much, just about everything I make is sold before I even make it.

/ Would a Switch to sisal twine invite problems?
Thank you. I found it at the local TSC and will try it out. I was looking at what was available online because my local dealer only carries poly Twine.
I meant to ask, doesn't TSC and Rural King carry sisal string? I haven't noticed because I wasn't looking for it, but they always have plastic. Just assumed they'd carry sisal too.

Just answered my own question. They both carry it. Don't know why you'd want to order it online. Buy a couple balls and try it out.

/ Would a Switch to sisal twine invite problems?
Thank you all for the insights. This is very helpful. Dad was going to help me learn to make hay, but COVID happened. We talked about round bales but he thought it best to learn on small squares like he did. We don’t have much, 2000 bales or so. Best wishes to all.

/ Would a Switch to sisal twine invite problems? #7  
Large squares aren't bad either but the equipment is very expensive and it takes a big tractor to power them as well as move them around (bales).

/ Would a Switch to sisal twine invite problems? #8  
The neighbor horse guy bales hay and straw (small) with a old Deere baler. He does not use poly and doesn't like the cheap import twine. Even the better made twine is breaking more now. Remember back in the day when baler twine was thick?

/ Would a Switch to sisal twine invite problems? #9  
Actually, twine comes in various gauges (thickness), Poly or Sisal. Most is made offshore today, hard to find domestic made. Only one I know of is Bridon and it's somewhat hard to get. I use Bridon net myself. I know they make poly, not sure about Sisal.