Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it?

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
Like some of you, I‘m always looking for farm equipment, machinery vehicles and trailers. Whether to buy or just learn or fun when its raining, etc.
I have various websites I peruse and stumbled across a very nice mid 90’s IH 4900 tandem axle truck. I couldnt believe how nice the paint was. No rust. Showroom conditions. Its going up for auction in March to the highest bidder, regardless of price.
I spoke to the auctioneer a bit. He bought it from a company In Arkansas. The surviving owner was closing the business and explained he bought the truck in the mid 90’s and parked it in a shed. The odometer reads 51 miles. Thats right 51 miles. No hour meter to at least help somewhat verify the odometer. He started the truck and ran it with me on the phone. Claims it runs perfectly. He said the owner did start & run the truck periodically to keep it lubed.

So it got me to thinking, if any truck was bought new, then sat for 20-25 years, it has to have some damage and it does.

I am making a list of what could be wrong with it, adding up the costs of said issues and contemplating a bid. Heres what I’ve come up with:

1. All tires have 100% tread, but are dry rotted and thats been verified.
2. Valve guide seals in engine probably brittle?
3. Gaskets dried (valve cover, oil pan, transmission main seal and……..)
4. All fluids

What else is probably trashed on a truck that sat 20-25 years? Would it be worth a chance if it could be had cheap enough? I would think so, but what would it cost to fix all? THAT is the question(s)…..

On edit: changed to be more precise for jstpssng:)

Last edited:
   / Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #2  
Brakes, suspension, cooling system (if not flushed out), possibly wiring (mice)...anything with rubber as a component is probably dryrotted. Probably more but that comes to mind. Really depends on what the previous owner did with it over all that time. Cheap enough, I'd try it personally.

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it?
What would be trashed on suspension? I’m not doubting you, but just curious? I’m sure as you said the brake drums are rust coated, pads shot air chambers could be questionable

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #5  
What would be trashed on suspension? I’m not doubting you, but just curious? I’m sure as you said the brake drums are rust coated, pads shot air chambers could be questionable

Any rubber component if suspension or steering would be brittle and failure would surely be not far away

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #6  
Yes if the price is right it could be a very good buy !
Apparently the battery has been replaced a few times, the tires would probably still be very capable of driving a short distance, if you buy it probably won’t take long to figure out what actually needs fixing immediately but if the story is true I suspect it won’t take much money to make it roadworthy.

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #7  
I bought an old CJ5, I know it's a totally different animal... I paid extra because it was in very good shape and looked like I would not have to do anything to it. Turns out it was in good shape because it had been sitting for a long time. It had perfect looking tires when I headed home with it. By the time I got home they barely held air and lost all stability. The Leaf springs locked up at all points because the bushings seized to everything they touched. Fixed those things. Then the top shredded because it was rotten. The carb totally quit, put a new carb on. Plastic locking handle on the front hubs fell apart. New distributor, and on and on. I sold it after 9 months.

All that is to say... Be prepared, get it cheap enough that you can have some down time and spend some money for the unexpected and still be ok. With it sitting that long you will find things later even if you go through it before you start. Is it air brakes? I'm not sure if they are susceptible to the same issues.

On the other side of the token, it might be just fine?

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #8  
Which engine and transmission?

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #9  
Being as it was stored in shed and started periodically, the engine will probably be okay internally. Hoses, tires and bushings are the biggest issues. Bid with repairs in mind. IH trucks are worth repairs. Good luck with endeavor.

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #10  
This is funny. A cherry 1992 ford F250 came up for sale. I grew up in one of these trucks. It was bomb proof...except for the transmission, which is another story. The old lady will just stink eye me if I buy it for myself, so I think I will buy it for my dad and keep it at his house. Always more than one way to skin a cat.

They made better trucks in the 90's...