Would you buy another PT?

/ Would you buy another PT? #1  

Frank Sorbello

Gold Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT-422
Having owned a 1999 PT-422 for 8 months now, my biggest regret is not buying a new PT-425. I bought a neglected machine in February. I have given it a lot of TLC. It is in much better shape now. There are some things on it I don't like. i.e. the Subaru engine hard starting in the cold, not enough weight in the rear of the tractor, and no local dealerships other than Tazewell.

I also have a Steiner 420. I like the PT more. I think I am going to sell the Steiner, and yes I would buy another PT.

/ Would you buy another PT? #2  
Sell both and get a 1430....

And yes.. unless I won the lotto then I might be looking at a much more expensive beast.

/ Would you buy another PT? #4  
Having owned a 1999 PT-422 for 8 months now, my biggest regret is not buying a new PT-425. I bought a neglected machine in February. I have given it a lot of TLC. It is in much better shape now. There are some things on it I don't like. i.e. the Subaru engine hard starting in the cold, not enough weight in the rear of the tractor, and no local dealerships other than Tazewell.

I also have a Steiner 420. I like the PT more. I think I am going to sell the Steiner, and yes I would buy another PT.

My present PT422 does too well to buy another. If it dies I am getting a 425 though.

/ Would you buy another PT? #5  
This Bob agrees with ^ Bob. There are times I wish I had those few extra inches in lift height and a little more grunt power. Would love the 1430 but it sits too high for my applications.

/ Would you buy another PT? #6  
I bought the PT425 in 2001. Once I decided on the 400 series frame size, I picked the largest engine size I could get. For a tractor (or any other piece of equipment for that matter) I can't see getting a smaller engine for any good reason. The fuel savings is negligible over the life of the tractor. The weight is pretty much the same. The wear and tear will be greater on the smaller engine given the fact that tractor owners (especially home owners) tend to push them to their limits more often than foreseen before the purchase. The price of the PT425 back in 2001, as I recall, was the same dollar per horse power as the PT422 and I got two steering cylinders and a ROPS included. These days, the PT425 has a higher lift as well, I believe.

Given everything I know today, my only hesitation on purchasing a new PT400 series would be the cold starting capabilities of the Subaru engine VS my Kohler engine. The Kohler has yet failed to start even down to -0F temps with the exception of a dead battery. I had to use some starting fluid and a jumper battery, but it started. And the few times I need it at those temps, I NEED IT. Maybe the new fuel injected Subaru will do better, but until I hear from someone that starts theirs consistently below 0F, I won't buy one with the Subaru engine.

/ Would you buy another PT? #7  
I would've preferred the 425 for the dual steering rams, higher lift and overall "heavierdutiness", but I don't regret buying the 422 since the price difference was significant and I was able to get the attachments I needed. The stock Robin engine is not a good cold weather starter for sure. Since swapping in the EH72FI (the EH65 died...), that issue has been alleviated for the most part. I wish PT could have designed it to fit a liquid cooled engine since heat build up in the tub has always been a problem for me. The exhaust routing is part of it too.

Right now I can't fit (or afford) a larger tractor, especially one that does all the things my PT does. My current shed is 12x24, and it's filled with attachments, an ATV, a 61" ZTR, Honda mower, snowblower, and rototiller. The PT was my primary mower for several years and I've dug hundreds of feet of drainage. I've done so many projects that it has literally paid for itself a few times over. I don't use it quite as much as in the past since I have my Ferris for mowing and most of the new home projects have been completed, but I wouldn't give it up for anything.

Now if I can only keep the darn mice out of it! :pullinghair:

/ Would you buy another PT? #8  
For sure.

Ditto about paying for itself many times over. Half the front fence paid for the tractor and post driver. :cool2:

All the best,

Peter

/ Would you buy another PT? #9  
If I did not get a PT I I don't know what else I would get to replace it. I would have to spend several times as much just to equal what I can do now. Also I have a big investment in attachments, which exceeds what I paid for the 422. I hate to loose that.

/ Would you buy another PT? #10  
Absolutely. I might even look into getting a custom 400 series with larger displacement wheel motors with real brakes and 3000psi reliefs. What could possibly go wrong?