Wow, old man winter whooped us here in the northest The BX23s is an animal!

/ Wow, old man winter whooped us here in the northest The BX23s is an animal! #1  

BX23S-1

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX23S
Well folks, we got 2+ feet of snow out of this storm, 30 to 40mph wind gusts all day, still blowing crazy tonight... the state highway snowplows filled in the end of my driveway, about 4ft high including drifted snow. Got out to the garage, had to shovel the snow away from the overhead door just to get it opened. Went inside, turned the key to pre-heat the glow plugs, little ole`KaylaKubota fired right up!!! She turned over a little harder than normal, but by golly gee, its only 6 degree`s here! Took a couple of hours getting down the driveway to the highway, but that lil`girl plowed snow like a dream. No chains, just R4`s with the rears loaded with liquid ballast. In 4wd, no spinning, just plowed right thru... never bogged down either... she just rolled with it so sweetly. I am just so proud of this lil`girl. One thing i did notice, being as cold as it was, her temp gauge was only up half the way it normally is the whole time i was plowing. I might think about putting some sort of 1/2 shield in place of the screen in front of the radiator to help it heat up a little more. Whats you guys thoughts on that...? I would think it would be more healthy for the engine to be up in the normal operating temp zone.

Hey old man winter, is that all you got...??? ;)

/ Wow, old man winter whooped us here in the northest The BX23s is an animal! #2  
I always think the same thing when I look at my temp gauge on my BX25D
For me in the past, it has been the dang fuel filter gelling in the sub zero cold...I hope she holds out tomorrow when I take her out to plow...
I do have a block heater that makes starting easy.
Where would you put the air block to warm the engine more? Right in front of the radiator or somewhere under the screen? We got a foot of the white stuff here in central New Hampshire...where are you?

/ Wow, old man winter whooped us here in the northest The BX23s is an animal!
I always think the same thing when I look at my temp gauge on my BX25D
For me in the past, it has been the dang fuel filter gelling in the sub zero cold...I hope she holds out tomorrow when I take her out to plow...
I do have a block heater that makes starting easy.
Where would you put the air block to warm the engine more? Right in front of the radiator or somewhere under the screen? We got a foot of the white stuff here in central New Hampshire...where are you?

Hello there Mowbizz...
I`m in the finger lakes region, close to the watkins glen race track here in NY. (near the big seneca lake)

I havent only had one time last winter where my fuel filter was all jelly... i dont think the amount on the bottle of power service fuel treatment was enough. This year i doubled the amount of power service winter fuel treatment and i had no problem starting the tractor this time... and it was alot colder today than it was last year when it jelled up on me. So i guess doubling up the amount of PowerService in the fuel tank this time saved me a whole lotta trouble.

As for the air block... there is a handy little pull out screen that sits in front of the radiator that came with the tractor from the factory... i thought about fab`ing a new one in the exact same size to slip in its place with maybe half the radiator covered with a piece of thin sheet metal. I dont think its healthy for these diesels to be running at such a low engine operating temperature in the cold like it was here today.

/ Wow, old man winter whooped us here in the northest The BX23s is an animal! #4  
I am going out to plug in the block heater after my cup of coffee then Will give it a good hour to warm up before I start plowing...it is very cold out there!
I may put another dose of PS as well just for good measure.

/ Wow, old man winter whooped us here in the northest The BX23s is an animal! #5  
How do we really know this happened. Pictures?

/ Wow, old man winter whooped us here in the northest The BX23s is an animal! #6  
Yes winter did finely arrived with a bang! 25" of snow, cold wind -14 this AM. Used Kubota and cleared out drive but the winds kinda blew much back in. Plows sheared off my mail box too cold to try and repair. Brought out Doggies this AM to do their duty real fast as within a minute lifting their paws, hurried them back inside. This is the winter I can do without, Lol. Stay warm and safe all, maybe tomorrow try to clean up drive again.
DevilDog

How do we really know this happened. Pictures?
Ohhhhhhhhh, it happened, the whole NE got wacked.
Your location says Michigan... i dont think you need to see any pictures to know what it looks like, deep snow is deep snow no matter where its at... ;)

I am going out to plug in the block heater after my cup of coffee then Will give it a good hour to warm up before I start plowing...it is very cold out there!
I may put another dose of PS as well just for good measure.

Absolutely give it an extra dose! I didnt last year, i followed the recommended directions and it cost me. Double the amount it recommends, you`ll be ok. An extra dose wont hurt that tractor one bit.
And thank the lord for coffee...!!!! Keep warm and be safe out there!

Yes winter did finely arrived with a bang! 25" of snow, cold wind -14 this AM. Used Kubota and cleared out drive but the winds kinda blew much back in. Plows sheared off my mail box too cold to try and repair. Brought out Doggies this AM to do their duty real fast as within a minute lifting their paws, hurried them back inside. This is the winter I can do without, Lol. Stay warm and safe all, maybe tomorrow try to clean up drive again.
DevilDog

Wind is still blowing horrible here in the fingerlakes region on upstate NY. Burrrrrrrrrrrrr cold!!!! It was -6 this morning. We didn't quite get 25" here, but it was close enough to it. Yeah same here, i`ll have to clear out the drifts before i leave for work today. Oh lord i hate this winter stuff! You stay warm & safe out there while plowing!

/ Wow, old man winter whooped us here in the northest The BX23s is an animal! #10  
You know, the early weather model predictions about 10 days ago showed it hitting the mid-Atlantic, which would have crippled this area. We dodged a bullet with the precipitation (still got the cold and wind though). Seems like all that moisture went north and hammered you NE guys. I used to live in CT and VT and I kind of miss all that snow sometimes.