X300 Transmission oil change

/ X300 Transmission oil change #1  

bmg88201

Gold Member
Tractor
JD X300
I pulled my K46 transmission today, the oil was black but did not smell burnt. I will let it drain for a full day and then put Gastrol 5-50W synthetic back in it. This is the second oil change for this mower. First one was at approx. 300 hours (probably should have done it before then ), now has 519 hours on it. The magnet was not very dirty and had very little trash on it. Will put a drill motor on the splined shaft and turn it some to get the oil level right before installing. I don't like using a drill on that shaft cause I don't want to knarl up the shaft. I might try wrapping the shaft with some tape before chucking a drill motor on it. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

/ X300 Transmission oil change #2  
If you're so inclined, there are instructions out there somewhere as to how to add drain plugs for future use. Involves removing the bottom pan/cover and drilling holes in stamped bosses, then adding a typical oil drain plug.

/ X300 Transmission oil change
I don't need to install drain plugs, I was asking if there is a better way turn the transmission in forward and reverse using a drill motor chucked up on the splined drive shaft. That needs to be done to make sure the oil has been distributed in the casing so the oil level is correct before re-installing the transmission.

Thanks for the reply,

/ X300 Transmission oil change #4  
Drain plugs will help in the future as you won't need to remove and invert the transmission and you'll be able to run it on the machine at very low idle to help drain and purge.

As far as the drill process, I just used a couple of wraps of duct tape to protect the splines.

Thanks, I will try the duct tape on the splined drive shaft. I can see how it would be helpful to have additional drain plugs, but I don't see how I could possibly get to the fill plug and put new fluid in without removing the transmission. On my mower, it looks like it would be a pain to do that. I will certainly consider your suggestions, though.

Thanks,

/ X300 Transmission oil change #6  
I need a manual for this not expensive

Just finished putting my K46 back in, it ran just fine. I put exactly 2 qt's of 5-50W synthetic in it. Filled it up to 3/4" from the top of the fill port, the manual says 17 -22 mm from the top, so I went with 19 mm which is 3/4". I did not use a drill to spin the transmission, I just put the sheave on the shaft and turned it by hand in forward and reverse a dozen times or so. I also cleaned up the outer housing so it will run cooler. I'll do it again year after next. Put my mower to bed for the winter, changed motor oil and oil filter, cleaned plugs, new air filter, lubed the deck and chasis and front and rear axels, sharpened the blades, leveled the deck, put the battery in the house so it won't sit all winter in freezing cold, filled the tank to the very top with premium non ethanol. Cleaned up the whole mower by blowing it down around the engine and underneath. Maybe I'll buy a new mower in 15-20 years.