X585 restoration.

/ X585 restoration. #1  

JAKsBak

Tractor
John Deere X585
I hate to jump on a forum and immediately ask for help - but I'm at wits end.

I've owned a JD 445 garden tractor for 24 years. There is no part of it I have not disassembled for service or repair - including timing gear, water pump etc. I've never a problem I couldn't reconcile. Great little machine, built to last a lifetime.

Because of that quality, My dad decided that he'd buy a used X585 and refresh it. He's disassembled body panels, the instrument panel and others as necessary to make replacements of worn parts and clean up others. The biggest challenge was cleaning up the instrument panel, foggy on the inside and full of ants.

The engine ran before he started the refresh. Now, he has power to the ignition switch but it will not turn over - he's looked at his PTO switch, the brake switch and the seat switch for safety lockouts.

I bought him the 500+ page shop manual, but so far he hasn't found a solution. I would appreciate any suggestions - he's excited with the little tractor and I'd sure like to help him get it running.

/ X585 restoration. #2  
Welcome to TBN.
Hope someone can jump in and diagnose the unknown problem, but with so little known about the problem then my recommendation would be to get the service tech manual... but sounds like that has already been done.
Not much to go on, as I see it.

/ X585 restoration. #3  
Given it’s been disassembled, problem(s) could be numerous. Two approaches I’d start with---maybe you’ve already done them.

You have the shop manual, do you also have a multi meter? Start by looking for 12v at various points in the harness under start conditions. Will also need to check for grounds/ continuity across the various safety/pto/ignition switches also under start condition. Bad switches, bad connections, blown fuses, bad grounds, broken wire……. I

If you don’t have a meter, it’s going to be trial and error. You could try running an external wire to the starter relay directly and see if it engages. If not, bad starter components/ ground. If it engages, will it start with key in on position and all the safety switches in the correct config? Crank but no start? Read the JD theory of operation for starting and running to figure out how your model starts and shuts off, i.e. grounding the spark or shutting off fuel. Should give you a starting point for further investigation.

Didn’t offer much. Good luck

Last edited:
   / X585 restoration. #4  
Welcome to TBN. It can be a tough go when everything had been apart. My 500 manual does not cover the 585.Yes the PTO, Ignition and brake switches are the usual culprits. The build might even include an additional starter relay and even a hood switch if it is an US export. With no hood switch it likely has a jumper wire connector if it is the same in the series that would. Typically you methodically trace the purple wire if it is like its smaller cousins from switch to switch.

/ X585 restoration. #5  
Here's a discussion of someone with a X585 no start. His cranked, but thread still has a discussion about starting conditions/wiring. Might be worth a review. Also has a copy of some relevant wiring schematics.

Last edited:
   / X585 restoration. #6  
I’d probably try a run power directly to the starter and see if it turns over. If that works go backwards from there. So many possibilities on what could be wrong.

/ X585 restoration.
Thank you for your welcome responses. I do have a couple multimeters, I like the idea about powering the starter and working back. I just had fears I'd damage the electronic ignition module applying power at the wrong place. The little tractor was running when he bought it. Might have gotten a little over zealous cleaning and refreshing. Thanks again.

/ X585 restoration. #8  
Sure wouldn’t hurt to double check and clean the ground cable where it bolts to the frame.