Buying Advice XJ2025 or MT225E?

/ XJ2025 or MT225E? #1  

Baconator2000

Tractor
Looking to purchase an LS XJ2025 or MT225E
I’m trying to decide which tractor to purchase. I have just over 5 acres btw.

I’m clearing 2 or so acres of overgrown brush and small trees to turn into a lawn, & I have a good 500 + feet of ditch to dig out.
I’m in no hurry to get the work done, so renting a trac hoe to get it done cheaper & faster is not a concern.
This will be a hobby tractor.
Once the small stumps are dug out I’ll want to level the ground with a box blade or land plane, so my main question would be is the XJ2025 enough tractor for ground engaging equipment or will upgrading to the MT225E be the better choice?
Once the majority of the work is done I’ll have other small projects and snow removal to keep the tractor busy.
Thanks guys, curious of the limits of the XJ.

/ XJ2025 or MT225E? #2  
It sounds like you want a backhoe. How big are the trees you need to remove?

Digging stumps is about the hardest, most abusive thing you can do to a backhoe. The biggest backhoe you can get would be the best choice for removing stumps.

So my advise is get the biggest tractor you can, but isnt so big that you can’t get it into where you need to work. Bigger tractors also use/ need larger, more expensive implements so the tractor doesnt fold them into a pretzel.

/ XJ2025 or MT225E?
It sounds like you want a backhoe. How big are the trees you need to remove?
Yes, definitely need/want a backhoe.
I have 6 stumps in the 18-24 inch range. The other 50 or so are less than 8 inches, plus all of the brush roots that I can pop out.
Nothing too strenuous, I’ll be taking my time.

/ XJ2025 or MT225E? #4  
Ls introduced MT225S with backhoe replaces xj2025 long term. It may fit your needs it is pretty robust. Lots of platform room for legs. No complaints so far I have put 45 hours on mine in one month.

/ XJ2025 or MT225E?
Ls introduced MT225S with backhoe replaces xj2025 long term. It may fit your needs it is pretty robust. Lots of platform room for legs. No complaints so far I have put 45 hours on mine in one month.

Yeah I’ve seen a few pics online. Looks like a real nice unit, & the backhoe numbers sound impressive.
Looks to be a lot more pricey than the XJ.
The few I seen for sale online are close to Kubota money?
It’s on my short list to look at once my dealer starts getting them in.
Does yours have the backhoe?

/ XJ2025 or MT225E? #6  
I have the 225E, absolutely love it! My neighbor has the new 225-S. We both have the BH. There are some really nice features on the 225-S that make it very attractive, but it is definitely priced higher.

I paid less for my 225-E than my neighbor for his S model. The big differences between the two: mine has separate BH seat... much easier for me to get on / off, His you have to swivel the seat. Some people have complained that reaching the BH controls on the 225-S is difficult, having to lean forward and sit on the front of the seat. My neighbor is already thinking of modifying the mount to move it closer.

A big "pro" for the S model is the turning radius, a lot tighter than my 225E. The BH specs are basically the same for both tractors, surprisingly close given the difference in size of the tractors.
A big " pro for the 225-E is the weight and traction... his slips (spin wheels) a lot easier than mine. The225-E has a much larger FEL bucket (66" vs 50") and greater lift capacity.

Both are great machines. Personally I would go with the larger 225-E.

As getting close to Kubota price, what are you comparing it to... if it's a BX25, the LS is a bigger Machine. Look at the specs to really compare.

Here are a few pics of our tractors side by side:

Attachments

• 8AFED1B6-97E6-4BD5-B3A8-13F2931B9C41.jpeg
    8AFED1B6-97E6-4BD5-B3A8-13F2931B9C41.jpeg
    14.1 KB · Views: 549
  • 4EE3E377-0A94-45B5-BC8E-B0B7EBB9AB81.jpeg
    4EE3E377-0A94-45B5-BC8E-B0B7EBB9AB81.jpeg
    14.5 KB · Views: 539
  • 979429F3-F8F5-4B3C-BCFE-1EE86FA83BEF.jpeg
    979429F3-F8F5-4B3C-BCFE-1EE86FA83BEF.jpeg
    16.7 KB · Views: 514
  • 6EB8C1A0-338D-4ADA-9198-99047C3276ED.jpeg
    6EB8C1A0-338D-4ADA-9198-99047C3276ED.jpeg
    16.2 KB · Views: 544
   / XJ2025 or MT225E? #7  
Where are you located? My neighbor may be selling his whole setup ( MT225-S with canopy and LED light bar, Back Hoe, 60" rear finish mower, 50" HD box blade, Post hole digger w/ 9" auger, and Titan front bucket forks. He just got some bad news and health may force the sale....

The tractor has maybe 20 hours, maybe 2 hours on the mower, maybe 10 holes with the PHD. He mentioned around $21K for the whole package. He also has a large landscaping type trailer that can transport the tractor for sale... I can't remember how much he wanted for that, but it was about 60% of new.

/ XJ2025 or MT225E?
I have the 225E, absolutely love it! My neighbor has the new 225-S. We both have the BH. There are some really nice features on the 225-S that make it very attractive, but it is definitely priced higher.

I paid less for my 225-E than my neighbor for his S model. The big differences between the two: mine has separate BH seat... much easier for me to get on / off, His you have to swivel the seat. Some people have complained that reaching the BH controls on the 225-S is difficult, having to lean forward and sit on the front of the seat. My neighbor is already thinking of modifying the mount to move it closer.

A big "pro" for the S model is the turning radius, a lot tighter than my 225E. The BH specs are basically the same for both tractors, surprisingly close given the difference in size of the tractors.
A big " pro for the 225-E is the weight and traction... his slips (spin wheels) a lot easier than mine. The225-E has a much larger FEL bucket (66" vs 50") and greater lift capacity.

Both are great machines. Personally I would go with the larger 225-E.

As getting close to Kubota price, what are you comparing it to... if it's a BX25, the LS is a bigger Machine. Look at the specs to really compare.

Here are a few pics of our tractors side by side:

Thanks for the info. The pics give a good perspective on the size difference. The E looks so much bigger by itself in a pic.
I’m not in love with the hood & headlight design on the E, but at the end of the day it’s just a tool.
I do like the price.

The Kubota reference I made was comparing the S with the price of a B2601.

/ XJ2025 or MT225E?
Where are you located? My neighbor may be selling his whole setup ( MT225-S with canopy and LED light bar, Back Hoe, 60" rear finish mower, 50" HD box blade, Post hole digger w/ 9" auger, and Titan front bucket forks. He just got some bad news and health may force the sale....

The tractor has maybe 20 hours, maybe 2 hours on the mower, maybe 10 holes with the PHD. He mentioned around $21K for the whole package. He also has a large landscaping type trailer that can transport the tractor for sale... I can't remember how much he wanted for that, but it was about 60% of new.

I’m in NE Ohio. That’s going to be a sweet deal for someone.

/ XJ2025 or MT225E? #10  
I have the need for a little guy to do odd jobs around the farm. I had a 24 hp tractor and size wise, this was perfect but I wanted more creature comforts so I started looking at machines. I accidentally stumbled across LS and initially thought I wanted an E since I wanted 25 hp and the amenities and thought I wanted the Shuttle Shift. Dealer told me that I really ought to check out the S model for what I am doing, said it was new on the market and had a lot of thought in the design. I did and bought the Hydro and really happier than I expected to be with shuttle. You hear comments about Hydro whine on Hydros....not on the S....or maybe my hearing is getting worse (than bad) as I can't hear any whine. Pump volume is more than adequate for fast steering and fast loader work.....turning diameter is about the length of the machine. Then there is the $15.5k price tag on the S, and the dealer took 2 tractors in trade, plus delivered 200 miles free. Happy camper.