Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices?

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #991  
This afternoon at HD, Santa Clara, CA:
4x8 1/2" plywood, $31
4x8 1/2" OSB, $54

Plenty of the OSB in stock; very few of the ply left

Quite a drop in price in the last month.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #993  
Most of the towns around me are reassessing property values, so people's valuations are going up, HOWEVER they must adjust the millage rate to keep the total tax revenue do within ~2% (NY sends each a number and their budget cannot increase by more than that number or they lose a bunch of tax breaks).
So, in many cases the value of the house is going up by 50-100k (especially in towns that haven't done this recently), but the average out of pocket cost across the town should remain similar.

Aaron Z
Wow! That is the first time I have heard of a NY state rule that actually isn't designed to do bad things. Most places use valuation increases to increase revenue without increasing taxes. The thing many people often forgo is challenging the valuation. We have fought and won most of the time. The comps that they use are often bigger houses or properties with features that are not on your house or the neighborhood is different. One year we got a break because as of the valuation date, we needed a new roof ($19K of insurance covered work that lowered the value of the house). Here, appraisals must happen at least every 3 years. They basically use a formula to 'guess' because actually appraising each property is too time consuming. Always make sure you are not over paying!

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #994  
Your taxes or the assessed value?
Both went up 21%. Our taxes are a simple percentage rate of assessed value the best I can tell. The whole county did not go up 21%, apparently just those where the county could find easy comparables. It used to be the county was not aggressive with assessed value.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #996  
I thought China was supposed to pay the tarriffs.… :sneaky: