Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices?

mwemaxxowner

Gold Member
Tractor
BX 1880 with FEL and canopy
I'm a consumer as well, so I'm glad to see the market correcting itself. I suspect it'll take a while, but by next spring I am guessing we'll be rolling again like normal.

dlctcg

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40D, Lull 400, IR SP-48 Roller
There's always suckers that will buy. Not patient enough to wait.
I'm a consumer as well, so I'm glad to see the market correcting itself. I suspect it'll take a while, but by next spring I am guessing we'll be rolling again like normal.

Well I'm a consumer (but a contractor...) & I guess.. a sucker... I guess... but I'm in the industry & if I don't work (as a contractor) I don't pay the bills.... so currently we are making basically nothing on material with the time spent specking, procuring, & installing it... but again.... I'm a consumer & I guess.. a sucker... for some of us this is our livelihood...

ning

Veteran Member
Tractor
Branson 3520h
Well I'm a consumer (but a contractor...) & I guess.. a sucker... I guess... but I'm in the industry & if I don't work (as a contractor) I don't pay the bills.... so currently we are making basically nothing on material with the time spent specking, procuring, & installing it... but again.... I'm a consumer & I guess.. a sucker... for some of us this is our livelihood...
When I've hired contractors, they typically charge cost+10% for materials - so in that case, the sucker would be the person who hired the contractor being in too much a hurry to wait for correction. Of course, the contractor takes the hit when the consumer puts off the project...

dlctcg

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40D, Lull 400, IR SP-48 Roller
The consumer (in a real world environment) is never the sucker... they know the cost up front & agree to it... it is in the contract they sign (at least in my world).... sure they may be paying more, but they know that up front... & they agree to it... as a contractor you must provide that product.

the sucker would be the person who hired the contractor being in too much a hurry to wait for correction.

That may be the market in CA... not here.... I'm competing with un-licensed... Un-insured contractors that do not have the overhead or insurance that we have.... (insurance & workman's comp) & they under-sell legitimate & insured contractors everyday... I'm lucky enough to have my reputation & to stay busy with material prices being as high as the are...

Oh... & 10% does not even come close to covering the cost of the time it takes to procure, manage, facilitate, & manage the materials (not the labor)... this is prior to the install.... (on your next project be the GC & tell me what your time is worth)... You don't have to trust me.... just become a contractor...

I work for every $ I earn... & everyone of my customers will back that up for the past 18yrs..
If you really had to work for only 10% on your materials (in CA.. I'm in CT & couldn't do it) you would look for a different carrier.... especially if you knew how much time is spent designing, selling, obtaining, managing, delivering, & finishing a project (for a homeowner).... We do commercial projects also.... much more profitable...

I will agree with you that the consumer could wait for a reasonable market to hire a contractor but the consumer knows the cost up-front... It is in the contract (if you are dealing with a legitimate contractor).. so there are no surprises...

34Willys

Bronze Member
Tractor
'92 Kioti LK3054 '18 Kioti CK2610HST
ning,
10% Markup, or Margin??
Why bother owning your own business? You can't make it on that unless your goal is to work until you die.

Solitary Man

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota
I agree. The guys retired and doing nothing can afford to wait.

fried1765

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, 8N Ford, Gravely 12 HP "Professional", 48" SCAG Liberty
I'd venture to say that....most of us here
...are working...for every dollar...we earn...
Nope!
Haven't worked for the past 21 years....and lovin every minute of it!

OP
Diggin It

Diggin It

Super Star Member
Tractor
LS MT125 TLBM
Futures hit 680 for a bit yesterday then bounced back, up and down again today, now around 740.

Still don't know what that will mean for retail prices ... or when.

My target is about $10 for a 2 x 8 x 12. I don't buy until prices are in that area.