Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices?

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #421  
I'm not familiar with the latest compounds or how work ability may have changed...several versions of the older composites required pre-drilling even for self tapping etc screws...
broken off fasteners (screws etc) can be a problem...
Other that that the stuff seems mostly indestructible...!

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #422  
I'm not familiar with the latest compounds or how work ability may have changed...several versions of the older composites required pre-drilling even for self tapping etc screws...
broken off fasteners (screws etc) can be a problem...
Other that that the stuff seems mostly indestructible...!

I am considering composite to redeck my dock. I like the look of it my wife and girls tend to walk around the yard barefoot. The idea of not digging out splinters is appealing.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #423  
Just re-did a porch with composite boards last fall. Easy to cut, easy to screw into without pre-drilling. At that time pressure treated boards were $18 or so and composite was $20. But we had a hard time finding enough composite to do the project. Had to visit a couple big blue box stores. Of course, there wasn't any pressure treated to be found anywhere.

I was hoping to build a 25x30 deck this year, but will probably post pone it due to the high prices.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #424  
Osb just went to 33 bucks a sheet here at home depot. Stringers for composite decking has to be on 12 inch centers here because of sag. They are very heavy ,especially 20 footers. The older composites looked like crap after a few yrs but the new stuff seems to be much better.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #425  
I am considering composite to redeck my dock. I like the look of it my wife and girls tend to walk around the yard barefoot. The idea of not digging out splinters is appealing.
I did my pool deck with a big box store composite maybe 10 years ago or so, the solid core type. It was a new deck so was able to easily accommodate the 12" joist span. I went with a tan which shows grime more but isn't terribly hot. I've pressure washed it once or twice and it seems to clean up pretty well. Crazy durable and no slivers. I would not want P/T on this deck and may never do it for any in the future. I used 2 drills, one with a drill/countersink bit and the other with the torx bit that fits the tan deck screws I used. Pretty simple to do. I think I've read that some composites can do a 16" span but that may be with special fasteners. I went simple.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #426  
I did my pool deck with a big box store composite maybe 10 years ago or so, the solid core type. It was a new deck so was able to easily accommodate the 12" joist span. I went with a tan which shows grime more but isn't terribly hot. I've pressure washed it once or twice and it seems to clean up pretty well. Crazy durable and no slivers. I would not want P/T on this deck and may never do it for any in the future. I used 2 drills, one with a drill/countersink bit and the other with the torx bit that fits the tan deck screws I used. Pretty simple to do. I think I've read that some composites can do a 16" span but that may be with special fasteners. I went simple.
Thank for the information. I hope lumber prices will come down enough that I can afford to rebuild the dock this summer.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #427  
I was at HD yesterday, I had to do a double take at the sign on the stack of 7/16 OSB..... $37.75 a sheet! I didn't dare to go see what a sheet of plywood costs!

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #428  
That is amazing... 3 years ago I almost put off re-roofing from shake which is no longer allowed to Presidential shingles which required going over the skip sheathing.

Lots of panels including the detached shop when all said and done...

The new roof cost 24k which is exactly what the home cost new in 1958...

Hate to swallow the cost increase if I had to do it now...

Brothers company has approved building permits... some took years to go through the process and entitlements... they are not moving forward with anything... literally years to get approvals...

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #429  
I got a quote of $5k for a new 20x20 deck behind our house. $3k would have done it two years ago. Wish I hadn't waited!

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #430  
I was at HD yesterday, I had to do a double take at the sign on the stack of 7/16 OSB..... $37.75 a sheet! I didn't dare to go see what a sheet of plywood costs!

That is highway robbery. I pity people that have no choice but to pay that price.