Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices?

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #671  
...why all the inflation?...

Inflation is caused when there is more money in circulation than there is value to support it....starting in 2009 the fed started printing money without anything to back it up...it continued for eight years...the reflective inflation was only staved off by the policies following but the COVID pandemic caused a big enough hiccup in the economy that it allowed the inflation to gain traction and take hold...add all the futures traders adding to the inflated price of commodities...

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #672  
Inflation is caused when there is more money in circulation than there is value to support it....starting in 2009 the fed started printing money without anything to back it up...it continued for eight years...the reflective inflation was only staved off by the policies following but the COVID pandemic caused a big enough hiccup in the economy that it allowed the inflation to gain traction and take hold...add all the futures traders adding to the inflated price of commodities...

That is not inflation. I don't even know what "Value to support it" means in this context.

Inflation comes in two different forms.

1. There is too much money competing for too few resources.
2. Currency devaluation.

I think the current situation points more to 2 than 1, although 1 is being constrained by supply chains.

Take a look at this chart and it's not hard to see the government increased the money supply by 380% in one year. One Year. That means for every dollar that was in the economy, the government just put in another 3.80. I don't know how they put the genie back in the bottle.

E1BxPOaVIAszb1k

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #674  
Hit home depot on my lunch break. PT 4x4x8's were right at $15 a pop. So I got a few of those, and supplemented with some of the light-PT landscape timbers which are only $5 each. Big veggie garden fence project.

PT 4x4x12' are a staggering $29 apiece. OSB was $49 apiece for the 1/2" stuff. Inventory was pretty strong overall, and most of the wood looked decent.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #675  
At some point it becomes too expensive to buy or build, supply will outweigh demand and prices will come down. OSB here is $47 for 1/2" and $49 for 3/4".

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #676  
Dollar/gold convertibility was ended in 1971 (Nixon, btw).

Money printed since then (and probably before) has been backed by nothing other than the "full faith and credit of the USA".
Note that convertibility or being on a gold standard does not keep you from deficit spending, nor does it insure against inflation (at the very least there being the not-exactly-fixed amount of whatever the standard, like gold, but then you can change what the conversion rate is to adjust etc. See this article for amusement and wonder at the good old days).

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #677  
2x4 10footer PT ground contact were $16 and change here Sunday.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #678  
The rough stud/construction grade spf framing lumber is more expensive than #2+ yellow pine ground contact treated lumber in the same sizes. 10' 2x4 stud grade SPF is $14.69. Same size #2 YP treated is $14.39 here.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #679  
Like I said (and others have agreed even if they don't know it)...that the root of inflation (and rising prices) is dilution of the dollar and its value...

When supply of currency and credit are increased spenders lose faith in buying power and prices rise...

Machinations in the derivative markets by opportunists compound the problem...

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #680  
Machinations in the derivative markets by opportunists compound the problem...

Whether they are witting ones or ones just ignorantly jumping on the bandwagon trying to profit from emotion driven pricing..... (which I suppose is a bit of a redundant phrasing as most/all pricing is driven by emotion and the personal valuation of labor/time/skill).