Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices?

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #731  
All warm season grasses go dormant and are brown in the winter. Zoysia, ST Augustine, Bermuda, Centipede, etc. The rapid spread and aggressive nature can be both a blessing and a curse.

On the flip side,where those grasses thrive, cool season grasses go dormant and brown during hot weather (around here). In these areas pick your poison, dormant during hot weather or dormant during winter. I don't mind taking winter off of lawn care duties. You can use a warm season turf and overseed with rye for winter color if you wish.

Where I live is sandy, hot and dry. Cool season grasses don't grow well. Thick turf keeps out sand spurs. Sand spurs suck.

Last edited:
   / Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #732  
Back in 2018, we built a house. I told the contractor I wanted to save all of the scrap / throw away wood from the framers, roofers and other subs, which would have otherwise been burned or hauled off in a dumpster. Some of the crews saw me spend hours in the hot sun pulling nails, cutting off damaged ends. I think they thought I was crazy. The wife was having trouble comprehending why I would save even 3' lengths of 2x4. Piled it all in a clearing in the woods, along with extra shingles, cinder blocks, and all of the pallets.

I'm just now getting to end of that pile. Framed a duck house today using much of the last of it. Had 2 16' pieces of TimberTech left over from the deck build, made a perfect floor for the project.

I figure the duck house would have cost at least $10,000 at today's lumber prices (kidding...probably no more than $5000). :)

IMG_20210529_190556617.png

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #733  
My cousin said the fence companies in his area are running out of wood for privacy and picket fences.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #734  
Yahoo! just like "free" wood!

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #735  
Back in 2018, we built a house. I told the contractor I wanted to save all of the scrap / throw away wood from the framers, roofers and other subs, which would have otherwise been burned or hauled off in a dumpster. Some of the crews saw me spend hours in the hot sun pulling nails, cutting off damaged ends. I think they thought I was crazy. The wife was having trouble comprehending why I would save even 3' lengths of 2x4. Piled it all in a clearing in the woods, along with extra shingles, cinder blocks, and all of the pallets.

I'm just now getting to end of that pile. Framed a duck house today using much of the last of it. Had 2 16' pieces of TimberTech left over from the deck build, made a perfect floor for the project.

I figure the duck house would have cost at least $10,000 at today's lumber prices (kidding...probably no more than $5000). :)

View attachment 700506
i did the same thing.

my metal roofing came in 25 ft sheets. the crates were made of mostly 16 ft sticks.....not really 2 x 4s but close enough.

So far i've built my workbench, dividing wall and trimmed out the garage windows using that wood. I told the roofers, it ain't free, i already paid for it!

i even used the nails and screws they leave laying around. i've still got a bunch of crate wood and screws left.

Waste not, want not.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #737  
^^ I'd be glad the steering wheel was not on the right side.:oops:

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #738  
Generally the prefab folks take orders during the fall for the next season.
This, I presume, is to keep production going during winter.
Well with the crazy lumber pricing they'd go broke trying to respect quoted prices.
As a result I've heard of them buying back contracts and paying up to $25.K to do so.
This, from a half dozed sources.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #739  
^^^ I bet after this they will have clauses in them that allows them to back out. Most everyone builds in normal escallation, but nothing like this.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #740  
Daughter is building new home next to us. Would have done it last year, but could not get a builder to get anywhere near her price and wanted to work with her. Fast forward to this year, found a builder who has mainly remodeled for past 5 or so years, but has built a lot over the years. Came to price and he fit her to numbers. So far foundation, framing, windows, roofing are within only a couple of thousand off his original and budget. 2x6 walls, not 2x4 like every cheap subdivision builder is using. around here. Totally custom and if things hold, she'll be 40k under a 1/8 acre subdivision home of equal size on a full acre. And it won't have cheap crap cabinets and cheapest vinyl floors and carpet. It can be done, but is hard. 12 weeks on windows, 7 weeks on bathroom fixtures(including rough in delay) might be 10 weeks on cabinets. stupid long delays.