Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices?

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,291  
Still $29 for 1/2" Sheathing rated OSB here..

2x4 SPF stud is $6.89
Well, either I am seeing things or it was $9.89 for a 4 x 4 x 8 post, when I went yesterday. I must have taken too much of my meds...:oops:

i quess the recession is really coming......

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,292  
Well, either I am seeing things or it was $9.89 for a 4 x 4 x 8 post, when I went yesterday. I must have taken too much of my meds...:oops:

i quess the recession is really coming......

That's almost pre-COVID pricing.

It's truly a mixed bag. I have a bunch of young people in my life (my son, nieces, nephews, their friends, my friends kids), all trying to get started in adult lives, and they're facing sky high costs for everything, particularly housing, and the job market is likely to take a nosedive. Gonna be some hardship ahead.

Last edited:
   / Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,293  
That's almost pre-COVID pricing.

It's truly a mixed bag. I have a bunch of young people in my life (my son, nieces, nephews, their friends, my friends kids), all trying to get started in adult lives, and their facing sky high costs for everything, particularly housing, and the job market is likely to take a nosedive. Gonna be some hardship ahead.
OTOH some of those costs are driven by higher wages. When the job market dives, so will commodity prices. I fear that we may be looking at more than a recession.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,294  
When I can remember I have Lowes cut some materials in the store, particularly 4x8 sheets.
They will cut some things in store, but we pre cut and package those 2x4 blocks, the 2x2 squares of plywood, stair stringers, etc. and ship it to them that way (for Lowe's).

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,295  
Don't discount fuel prices as every supplier... even those under contract have increased prices or added fuel surcharge.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,297  
Lots of folks without power tools or a know how to use them. Generally it's a small DIY project where the cost doesn't matter that much for a piece or two.

Once Lowe's asked us to manufacture and ship that it has continued to sell pretty steadily.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,298  
To be fair, a 2x4x2 is still one 2x4.

Also the same reason we continue to spend $5/gal for fuel, and all other obscene prices right now, vs going off the grid and being totally self sufficient.

Back when 4x4x8 posts were $15 or $20 each, it was still easier, cheaper, and more cost effective than to cut down and mill my own posts from trees. Once you have the sawmill, the saws, the skid steers, etc I'm sure it is pennies to produce a 4x4x8.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices?
#1,299  
Can you believe this sh**? Does anyone even buy this? 3- 2x4x4
How else ya' gonna git 12 foot of wood in a roller skate?

Nissan Cube Wagon Models, Price, Specs, Reviews | Cars.com

It's just barely 12 foot long bumper to bumper. Cargo area can't be more than 4 or 5'.

I can get a 12' foot board almost fully inside my Taurus wagon. Have to open the front passenger side window and let a bit stick out. 10 footers go inside, no issue. And I've had 14s and 16s on the roof strapped down.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,300  
I just checked prices on 4x6x8 pressure treated. I paid $17.98 about a year ago, needed a few more last month.... still the same price. Today when I checked they were up to $33.88.....

Worst of it is they are the same bundles that were there 6 months ago.... not even new fresh ones.... Jeesh