Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices?

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,331  
We had a Homebase back in the early 80’s where I shopped a lot.

It took out several neighborhood hardware stores.

Studs 49 cents, bag steer manure 49 cents, 30 gallon gas water heater $88, drywall 2.69 a sheet, etc.

Everything I built is still in service except the water heater but the dust in 2015 and the low nox model cost $650.00

The dog ear redwood fence and 40 year posts also in service…

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,332  
2x4 studs down to $4.73 at home depot now. OSB stuck at 22.65, hoping for a few bucks cheaper yet before I need to buy my stack soon.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,334  
I'll be happy when I see a 2x4x8 for $2.50, like it was a few years ago.
Timber stumpage rates are now the same as a few years ago (very cheap), but logging and milling costs (plus retail sales) will not likely return to the same costs as a few years ago. But as interest rates climb, the housing market will decline and force prices down.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,335  
2x4 studs down to $4.73 at home depot now. OSB stuck at 22.65, hoping for a few bucks cheaper yet before I need to buy my stack soon.

Hang in there a bit longer, if you can. I think you will be rewarded. The recent, precipitous drop of lumber futures is not fully factored into the price yet.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,336  
Agreed, will try to. I have a small stack of used OSB sheets I will use up first before buying new ones.

Lumber manager at home depot hooked me up just now. Was heading in to buy a pile of 2x6x92-5/8 studs for $5.98 each as shown in inventory on their site. But apparently carpenter ants got into the stack and chewed it all up, so he let me have full 8's for the same price instead ($2 off per board).

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,337  
Glad you got a deal, but still too high if projevts can wait...

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,338  
I dunno. A perfectly dimensioned, zero-knots, clear grain 2x6x8’ with no warp or cup (yet) is well worth 6 bucks to me. If you think of all the steps that piece of wood went through before getting sold to me at home depot, mannn…. I’d charge 20 if i was making them. 🤪

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,339  
I'm not sure HD sells those kind of 2x4s. I dig and dig just to get a straight one.

But I agree, a prime 2x4 is definitely worth more than $4

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,340  
My home depot has been turning over lumber pretty quick this summer. When they open up a new bunk of moist lumber... it's all nice and straight. Sometimes just the drive home is enough for the warp to set in, GRRRrrr