Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices?

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,391  
😳😳
B3BB5F03-470B-428C-86B7-DB1ACF523A92.jpeg

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,392  
I haven't read all 1400 posts in this thread, but, what are lumber prices doing now? Have priced peaked and starting to come down? Or, are prices still rising?

I will be starting on a 30x20 enclosure to add a office/kitchen to my shop in about 2 weeks.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,393  
I haven't read all 1400 posts in this thread, but, what are lumber prices doing now? Have priced peaked and starting to come down? Or, are prices still rising?

I will be starting on a 30x20 enclosure to add a office/kitchen to my shop in about 2 weeks.
They seem to have stabilized and even relaxed a bit, but I won't be expecting to see it back to it's original prices. $5 2x4's in **** condition are the new normal.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,394  
That's good to know.

Is the Home Depot rebate a check I can cash or a voucher that can only be redeemed on my next purchase?
It's a gift card, that lasts forever. You can get a physical gift card mailed to you, or just get an online code emailed.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,395  
As long as it's intended purpose isn't for building things. There's a reason it's cheaper. It's not only **** with water, it's heavier and weaker. A buddy of mine had a house built. Paid a fortune. Stucco over osb. "but with proper waterproofing..." 7 years later it was shot. He had to have ALL the stucco removed and a good amount of the osb replaced and put vinyl siding on, to the tune of $150k. He sued the builder and the builders insurance covered most of it, but it was a nightmare.

There's no way to keep everything moisture proof forever. Even humidity affects things. Sure, plywood may not last forever but it'll last a hell of a lot longer than OSB. There's a reason brick buildings are still standing 100 years later. Maybe you're a bit long in the tooth but I still plan on hanging around a good while longer. And I want anything I build to not only last my lifetime, but my children's lifetime.
I mean, we all learned from your garage build thread that you have your own particular building preferences, lol.

But this is kinda silly, man. You friend's disaster example only informed us that they did a **** job on the stucco and didn't waterproof the wall assembly. Its not like if you had sh!tty stucco leaking water into a plywood sheathed wall, that this would somehow be fine or desireable in comparison.

OSB isn't really any heavier than plywood. 7/16 sheets are easy to toss around. It cuts easily and doesn't delaminate like plywood layers can. Keep your OSB in the roof and walls dry, like it always should be, and it lasts forever. And saves you a ton of cash while building.

I'd rather use plywood most of the time also, but not for twice the price.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,396  

They tanked to what it was this time two years ago, and now are stabilizing for the time being. Once the tariffs come off Chinese goods they may drop more.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,397  
I mean, we all learned from your garage build thread that you have your own particular building preferences, lol.

But this is kinda silly, man. You friend's disaster example only informed us that they did a **** job on the stucco and didn't waterproof the wall assembly. Its not like if you had sh!tty stucco leaking water into a plywood sheathed wall, that this would somehow be fine or desireable in comparison.

OSB isn't really any heavier than plywood. 7/16 sheets are easy to toss around. It cuts easily and doesn't delaminate like plywood layers can. Keep your OSB in the roof and walls dry, like it always should be, and it lasts forever. And saves you a ton of cash while building.

I'd rather use plywood most of the time also, but not for twice the price.
My generator shed was also built in osb, and waterproofed, tar paper, screened, stucco'd, and 6 years later, the osb is rotting. Double the price sure, but in the grand scheme of things in the project it was a drop in the bucket.

I used 102 sheets of plywood on the walls of my garage. I'm up to about 105k on the garage, the bulk of which was pre-pandemic prices. At current prices, that's $5510 to use plywood vs what, $2750? Similarly, my chicken coop I'm using plywood over OSB. I'm up to about $3000 on the coop, 3 sheets of plywood is $165. Saving $75 on the course of the project.

If all you're buying is osb vs plywood, maybe the price matters. But in the grand scheme of things, wouldn't it be better to save money elsewhere?

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,398  
They tanked to what it was this time two years ago, and now are stabilizing for the time being. Once the tariffs come off Chinese goods they may drop more.
Chinese wood :oops:

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,399  
My generator shed was also built in osb, and waterproofed, tar paper, screened, stucco'd, and 6 years later, the osb is rotting. Double the price sure, but in the grand scheme of things in the project it was a drop in the bucket.
If all you're buying is osb vs plywood, maybe the price matters. But in the grand scheme of things, wouldn't it be better to save money elsewhere?
Maybe. But I think the problem is the stucco, haha. OSB kept dry under normal siding doesn't just rot spontaneously.

I put some pretty new, but re-claimed OSB on a temporary pole barn 10 years ago. I painted it with good exterior paint - no siding or anything else over it. Fast forward to this year, and I pulled some of it off for re-use on my new shed, because it's still completely intact. The pieces of OSB that I leave laying around with no protection seem to last about 2 years in the weather before being total junk. But I honestly can't say that scraps of plywood fare any better, in my experience. It's stronger in a wall assembly, no doubt. But I've seen it rot just as much when left out in the rain.

Last edited:
   / Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,400  
I find scrap pieces of OSB make good landings at the bottom of porch steps. Say 3’X3’ pieces on the ground. Not as good as concrete or pavers of course but good for a couple of years. Somewhere to knock your feet off.