Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices?

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,461  
Went in to a local building supply last week to pick up 6' of flex watertite conduit and a 90 and a straight fitting. Price on line was $38 which for what it is, is ridiculous but you don't have a choice. Got to the store the tag under it said $26, got to the register and it was $38 which I pointed out to the cashier didn't match the tag. "Ohh, we haven't got around to changing the tags yet" suck it up buttercup, $26 please and she did. So it went up $12 in one shot.
I was also informed they won't have that problem soon enough as they're going with electronic tags on all their shelves which will be controlled by their head office. They'll be able to gouge faster and better, gotta love technology
1665869329454.png

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,462  
That looks familiar! What surprised me is how well the tracks stay in line once they bolt up. You might want to stabilize it a bit better though. Once you start putting logs on it and turning them, I fear that your blocks may not stay in place.
this is just until I can mill some 6x6 Timbers and about 200sf of board flooring so i can build the floor and posts for a real wooden sawmill shed. I am going to assemble it and make a bunch of stickers first, to dial in adjustments and vibrate/settle the current mishmash in a bit beforemdoing a re-level with shims to adjust footing Angles prior to cutting the real limber, then relocate the mill onto the deck platform while cutting the beams and boards for the roof.

but yeah, right now the setup is a bit on the sketchy side 🤣😂🤣 please look at my signature line below…

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,463  
Went in to a local building supply last week to pick up 6' of flex watertite conduit and a 90 and a straight fitting. Price on line was $38 which for what it is, is ridiculous but you don't have a choice. Got to the store the tag under it said $26, got to the register and it was $38 which I pointed out to the cashier didn't match the tag. "Ohh, we haven't got around to changing the tags yet" suck it up buttercup, $26 please and she did. So it went up $12 in one shot.
I was also informed they won't have that problem soon enough as they're going with electronic tags on all their shelves which will be controlled by their head office. They'll be able to gouge faster and better, gotta love technology
View attachment 766470
The stores I shop at charge the posted price, regardless what it rings up on the register. If they try to charge me more I'd just let them restock it.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,464  
$3.97 for prime 2x4s. Birch plywood for a woodworking project was $69/sheet. :(

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,465  
It seems that anything that requires a peeler tree, as in making plywood, is what is expensive. I don't see too much other crazy pricing. Well, I'll retract that, in that, I was looking at very small plex tube connectors and was a bit shocked. :)

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,466  
There must have been some sort of mistake. Because i bought four 2X4, 20 footers, doug fur construction grade, at 12.88 each. I even had to go recheck the reciept, and that is what they costed. .
You can definitely find deals on odd sizes that arent normally used in construction.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,467  
Two stores I checked and Advantech OSB 3/4" T&G is about 55$ a sheet.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,468  
That looks familiar! What surprised me is how well the tracks stay in line once they bolt up. You might want to stabilize it a bit better though. Once you start putting logs on it and turning them, I fear that your blocks may not stay in place.
Getting a little further along, and there is a tractor in the photo to boot!

I broke down and got out the shovel and leveled several of those blocks, primarily to keep MrsKilroyJC happy. . .

Maybe by this coming weekend I will be making big pieces of wood into little pieces of wood 😂🤣

Attachments

• F96F5DF8-4799-4728-A994-4B24E5E46638.jpeg
    F96F5DF8-4799-4728-A994-4B24E5E46638.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 113
   / Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,469  
Winding down assembly of the sawmill. The only items left to assemble are the lift crank, lifting cables, coolant tank and lines, and final squaring and alignment.

no work on it tomorrow - we will be going to our town’s Pumpkin Fest, the highlight of which is a competition in which pumpkins are rolled from the top of Town Hill and whoever’s pumpkin rolls the furthest wins. Then in the evening, we are going on a haunted hayride (all proceeds go to the local animal shelter).

I hope that by Monday there will be clouds of sawdust wafting on the breeze!

I have eight logs stacked to mill, the poplar will be made into stickers for drying lumber, and the walnut will be made into boards for interior paneling at our house.

Then, the felling of trees will be begin in earnest - I have about 18 pines and a dozen poplars already picked out for the initial clearing, and a couple other miscellaneous trees as well.

The first batches of
slabwood will become a scrap-rack, where subsequent off-cuts will be stacked to be cut into firewood lengths, and then lumber for the construction of a permanent sawmill shed will be stacked on pallets to dry. Followed by lumber for a real outhouse, a hunting shack, and my long-delayed outdoor kitchen.

I am SOOOOOO looking forward to getting this thing fired up!!!!

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,470  
$3.97 for prime 2x4s. Birch plywood for a woodworking project was $69/sheet. :(
I used to get 2 x 4s for about $2.00. Then they went up to $7.13 a year or so ago. Last week they were $3.69. Plywood is still crazy. Not many options though if you want to keep working on projects or need the material.