Yanmar Engines in LS Tractors?

/ Yanmar Engines in LS Tractors? #1  

Tractorable

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tractorless, 2022 F350 Tremor, 24ft Diamond C HDT Equipment Trailer, 1980 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
I did a search for Yanmar on Craigslist and in the results were LS sub compact tractors. I knew Yanmar supplied engines for John Deere but I didn't know they were an engine supplier for other brands as well.

Does Yanmar supply engines for any other tractor companies besides John Deere and LS?

/ Yanmar Engines in LS Tractors? #2  
Interesting to see how this thread develops, if it develops.

Usually Japanese exporters and Korean exporters do not do each other favors of any sort.

Korea has much lower labor costs than Japan. I speculate LS could produce engines significantly cheaper in Korea than Yanmar in Japan. However, Yanmar may be producing Yanmar branded engines in a Korean plant or in a Yanmar plant in a third low-cost country, or LS may be willing to pay for well tested Yanmar engineering.

My first tractor was a used Deere/Yanmar 750. The Yanmar diesel engine was a beaut.

Last edited:
   / Yanmar Engines in LS Tractors? #3  
TBN almost could add a Yanmar engine category.

I have had 3 Yanmar diesels, so far.

/ Yanmar Engines in LS Tractors? #4  
@Tractorable- I'd be surprised if LS tractors have Yanmar engines. Is it simply the return of the craigslist add that makes you think LS have Yanmar engines? If so it could just be a keyword that was shoved into the bottom of the add to help it pop up in searches.

/ Yanmar Engines in LS Tractors? #6  
According to the LS site the MT series does use a Yanmar engine.

http://lstractorusa.com/brochures/MT1_Brochure.pdf

As far as I could tell the MT1 is the only LS with a Yanmar. The next size up (XJ) has a Mitsubishi. One strange thing about the MT1 brochure is that is says the engine is a 3TNV80F which is what the JD 1025R page says it has (3TNV80F-NCJT). The JD is running at 3,200 rpm with claimed 23.9 hp while the MT125 is running at 3,000 rpm with claimed 24.7 hp. The Yanmar brochure says that engine running at 3,000 rpm produces 23.9 hp. Maybe there are different versions of that engine and it is not clear which is which.

/ Yanmar Engines in LS Tractors? #8  
As far as I could tell the MT1 is the only LS with a Yanmar. The next size up (XJ) has a Mitsubishi. One strange thing about the MT1 brochure is that is says the engine is a 3TNV80F which is what the JD 1025R page says it has (3TNV80F-NCJT). The JD is running at 3,200 rpm with claimed 23.9 hp while the MT125 is running at 3,000 rpm with claimed 24.7 hp. The Yanmar brochure says that engine running at 3,000 rpm produces 23.9 hp. Maybe there are different versions of that engine and it is not clear which is which.

There are 2 MT tractors using the Yanmar engine. The difference in HP on the engine you question (3TNV80F) could be due to a different fuel setting and tuning. The difference could also be it was measured on a different dyno or tachometers that were not calibrated exactly the same. Either way, a .8 HP difference is minimal and not noticeable by the end user.

The same can be said for most any brand or model using similar engines. An example is my XR3037HC with Shibaura engine is claimed to be 36.2HP at 2600 RPM while the same engine in a Massey Ferguson 1734E is 34HP at 2600 RPM. The difference is either the way it was tuned or test measured.

/ Yanmar Engines in LS Tractors? #9  
The yanmar engines are most definitely built in Yanmars engine plant in Japan. The LS mt1 tractors are using a Yanmar because of its features not because of price. This is the same theory in mini excavators, most companies except kubota use yanmar engines because of their torque and compact design.

/ Yanmar Engines in LS Tractors? #10  
TYM started building models with Yanmar engines three years ago, that's another South Korean example.

Yanmar built entire tractors for Cub Cadet 2005-2011.

Some Branson Tractors had Yanmar engines.

The Toro Groundsmaster is equipped with a Yanmar engine.

Yanmar also supplies HST transmissions to some tractor makers, like Kioti, another South Korean example there.

So yeah, Yanmar definitely has a nice little business selling drivetrain parts to other tractor makers.