Yanmar FX32--problem with new engine oil filter

/ Yanmar FX32--problem with new engine oil filter #1  

Peterchris

Tractor
Yanmar FX32D
I bought a pack of three oil filters from Hoye Tractor supply. Changed the engine oil a couple of weeks ago, put one of the new filters on, and ran the engine a little to check for leaks. It looked fine!

Then I changed the hydraulic oil and installed a new hydraulic oil filter, also from Hoye. The hydraulic oil change went fine, and I used John Deere J20C oil.

After running the tractor for possibly 20 minutes I saw oil spraying from the engine. It all sprayed out VERY quickly, from the new oil filter. I unscrewed the filter and saw that the gasket was deformed, blown outward where the leak happened. I got the next filter from the pack and started to screw it on. It had a 'wobble' as I turned it, as if the threaded hole was at a slight angle to the body of the filter. It did NOT seat flat against the engine. I got the third and last filter and tried it. It screwed on OK, and so far hasn't leaked. I'll be watching VERY carefully for leaks!

I wonder what company made these filters. There is no name or country of origin on them. Of course, I will NEVER buy them again, if I can avoid it. Does anyone here know the part number of a well-known brand filter, perhaps Fram or NAPA, that will fit an FX32?

Thanks,
Peter

/ Yanmar FX32--problem with new engine oil filter #2  
My opinion.....I have learned over the years to buy only oem oil/fuel/hydraulic filters. Much cheaper in the end. Have had similar experiences to yours with non-oem filters.

/ Yanmar FX32--problem with new engine oil filter
Thank you! I didn't realize that it's a common, easy-to-find filter.

/ Yanmar FX32--problem with new engine oil filter #6  
Thank you! I didn't realize that it's a common, easy-to-find filter.
I don't know WIX filters at all because they are so good.

However, be very careful with those so-good WIX filters for autos used in Ag machine applications. The filtration media is in the low 20 microns. Our machines need the upper 20 microns to the low 30 micron range. Going too low can cause starvation of flow.

WIX has another line called Pro-Tech. This line fits well within the Ag machine applications. Basically its the same canister, just white, has the same sealing, etc, just the media type is in the hither 20 to low 30 micron range. I tend to use the Rockauto.com part number cross reference from the WIX into the Pro-Tech.

Now even with all that said, the Pro-Tech line isn't found everywhere. So what to do? Find the WIX filter like the p/n mentioned here of 51568. Cross reference that filter to a WIX brand that is taller and will still fit in the application. This way, more filter surface area would allow the right level of fluid to flow.

One last comment, make sure the filters have the by-pass valve. Our old machines would be damaged more so if the wrong type of filter was used.

Same filter from NAPA, #1568.

A widely used filter. Most Subarus and a lot of Nissan, Toyota etc use it too.

So easy to buy anywhere.

Wix, Carquest, NAPA and others are all made by Mann-Hummel corp. That's the reason why their p/n's are nearly identical. :)

Purolator brand is another good one to look at. These are common in the heavy trucking industry and shops.

I only offer these as suggestions for selection as the prices of things are rapidly increasing by the week.

Bummer to hear about the Hoye filter experience. By the FTC rules if the product is not marked it is MADE IN THE USA with USA content. IF it's made outside the USA, then Hoye can be in deep doo doo with the FTC and Federal regulations of 15USC 41 thru 45 for not being marked properly. There are stiff fines in the millions. The most recent was a mattress company that didn't mark the country of origin correctly and go socked for several million. Staples got hit a few years ago for their brand of post-it notes for several million.

/ Yanmar FX32--problem with new engine oil filter
Wow! So much information. I'll do some research and buy a well-known brand. Maybe I can find one that's a bit taller, as Bmaverick suggested.

Also, will call Hoye tomorrow. It's pretty bad when two are defective out of a pack of three filters.

As for the filters possibly being made in China (or elsewhere overseas) I don't see how I could find out. Would need some detective work, or a whistleblower within the company.

Thanks!

/ Yanmar FX32--problem with new engine oil filter #8  
are you sure the old O-ring or rubber gasket was not left on? has happened to me.

/ Yanmar FX32--problem with new engine oil filter #9  
Fredricks supplied dealer gave me the Fram # for a YM2000. Been using them for over 10Yrs without the first complaint. You could see the Orange filter on a CL. add which he gladly gave me the #. PH3593 A. Not a new Refurb. but a used Yanmar. I was going through them quick cleaning it up. Competitor Parts Search Results | FRAM

/ Yanmar FX32--problem with new engine oil filter #10  
The cost differential is so little - the potential for damage so great. I just use Kubota OEM filters.